How do you guys rotate your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ant G, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

PAUL, John, George, Ringo

forthlin and Johnny Reb like this.
  2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Completely random

ARK likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have a rotation, but I'm an old radio guy. The thing is when I acquire new material (which may be old) if I don't make an effort to listen to it all the way through for a few times, it might get lost for a long time. Therefore, I have a box of cds that get moved front-to-back to ensure equal rotation until it goes to the library. However, I'm the program director, so I can go "off-rotation" at any time. :D

4. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Welcome to the forum. One rule only when it comes to music. I listened to what I'm feeling for and enjoy it to the max. System is important only if it enhances the listening experience.

ARK likes this.
  5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Sinatra Capitol, Sinatra Reprise, Dino Capitol, Dino Reprise, Nat Cole Capitol...

Well, at least there's more than enough Nat on Capitol to be thankful for...

6. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Sometimes I like to play by year.
    I'd played a couple of albums from '76 by coincidence then looked up that year and played a bunch more!
    That's now worked for me quite a bit and takes me between disparate artists and genres.

I like all the suggestions on this thread regarding adding collections on Discogs, I'm going to do this.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

CDs in the car this week from Joy Division, Van Halen, The Kinks, Tin Machine, Diana Ross, John Fahey, Miles Davis, Bowie, Hendrix, Adam Ant,...
    So, totally random stocking of my CD zipper case.
    At home so far this week: Prince, Bobby Bland, Motorhead, Colin Blunstone, White Denim and Django Reinheart.

8. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

Much of it is dictated by what I pick up in the used bins. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of rockabilly and soul/funk.

9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Nothing says you can't still do this.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Appreciate ?
    Could read something here that stimulates my curiousty, getting me to search through my collection,or buying a new title...always physical media. Why?
    Cause that's the way I like it.

B_big! likes this.
  11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Most often I just follow the toy train of thought...

B_big! likes this.
  12. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Mood rules. I can and do follow up playing an album such as John Zorn's Painkiller with Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions.
    Never had a rotation system in place.
    :)

B_big! likes this.
  13. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I have a special shelf for the new entries, these are the ones, that I recently 'have' to listen to. I do it this way, because they shouldn't be filed immediately and fade out of my thoughts. It's the only rule I have in regard of your query. Apart form that, it's just mood and reminders by following the 'Listening to on vinyl' thread. I never really forced myself to some kind of regularly 'rotation'!

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Serendipity first.
    Premeditated a second best.

B_big! likes this.
  15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

How to rotate?

By you, dear people! I'm reading threads about different bands and musicians and that is always inspiring me to pick up these names out of my crowded cd cabinets (or to purchase some cds). Always a funny shift of bands and even genres :)

Last ones (only this week!):

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    V
    Birthday Party
    V
    James Brown
    V
    The Fall
    V
    Can
    V
    Serge Gainsbourg
    V
    Van der Graaf (just purchased 'Quiet Zone', best album to try out that prog band for a post-punk guy!)
    V
    Frank Sinatra (all his 'sad albums')
    V
    Bob Dylan (that great 6cd box set, purchased by a thread here)
    V
    Velvet Underground (last two 45th ann. box sets)
    V
    David Bowie
    V
    Peter Tosh
    V
    Mozart ('Requiem')
    V
    Primal Scream
    V
    Pere Ubu (purchased as extra their box set - it's on my way!)
    V
    Paul Quinn & the Independent Group (thanks to the one who mentionned it here!)
    V
    Orange Juice
    V
    The Cure
    V
    And now Fischer-Z

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  16. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

My library is in the basement because there's no room for it in my home office, which is where I do my listening. I have a vinyl bin and a CD bin in the office, and whatever I buy goes in those bins. At the end of the year, I then file that year's purchases in the library, unless I haven't listened to it yet. I don't get into artist binges like I used to. I find that I don't have enough long periods of time to devote to music anymore.

This year's CD purchases is very small, maybe 20 or so? The vinyl is pretty big - not counting those that I inherited, probably around 100.

dennis the menace likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

My listening rotation si totally random. There's no rhyme or reason to it except "Gee, I haven't heard that album in awhile" or "Wow, I'd sure like to listen to that band for the next week! I think I'll pull out all their albums!". :)

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I use a dowsing rod to make my choices...:wiggle:

strummer101 likes this.
  19. Geordie777

Geordie777 Senior Member

I find what I listen to depends on

1. What mood I am in at the time
    2 Whats being discussed on this forum
    3 Friend recommendation

B_big! and ukrules like this.
  20. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I pretty much have the same system with my CD's. I try to listen to the newly acquired titles first. Of course, since the price of used CD's has plummeted, it's hard to keep with this, so I have a pretty big backlog of unlistened to titles.

B_big! likes this.
  21. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

I recently changed my music database and am now in the process of reviewing, updating, and adding data for each album. This methodical process is giving me the opportunity to rediscover music and remind me why I became interested in particular artists. This is going to take a few years to complete, but it's a real labor of love for me.

B_big! likes this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm an eclectic dilettante. My musical Rorschach would show me to have Multiple Personalities.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Welcome aboard - keep that wallet out as you will be wanting to spend $150 very frequently around these parts!

I'm in the process of ripping to cd collection to lossless, and I'm taking my time and enjoying each disc before it goes back on the shelf. And I have to check the files themselves, and rather than do all my Peter Gabriel cds at once, I'm skipping around my collection a bit to have some variety and it has been a blast!

The person who posted that they get ideas from here is spot on. I am continually reminded about some great, but neglected, records or cds in my collection when they come up for discussion in a thread.

Enjoy!

Ant G and B_big! like this.
  24. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I usually just wait to be in the mood for something, either I'll hear something on the radio or elsewhere, or just be reminded by something that will trigger my interest. Sometimes I just get hooked on something that I've newly discovered or took the time to dig into -- recent example: the Jayhawks (can't wait for the new release next year).

25. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

In 2008, I went all digital with room correction, and have my (soon) 800 albums collection at my fingertips from iPad or PC. This opened up a new world for me, since I can pick tracks, artists and hear it instantly. But I have found the best is to pick from my archive program that mirrors my collection. I have no routine in this, I just scroll and pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.