How do you keep track of which records you have cleaned?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by neut6o1, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neut6o1

neut6o1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am slowly cleaning my records, but I don't have enough time to clean all of my records all at once. I originally kept cleaned records on separate shelves. However when I play them, they sometimes get mixed up with records that haven't been cleaned. I have thought of a few ways to keep track:
    • Keep track in notes in my discogs collection. However it means I can't immediately see whether they have been cleaned by looking at the physical record.
    • I could add stickers to my inner sleeves(which I keep outside the jacket, but inside the outer sleeve) with an obvious color like a green dot. But I would rather not make a permanent change or one that could not be removed easily.
    • I could add a small green piece of paper inside the outer sleeve. But I could see it moving to where it is hard to see.
    Anyone come across this issue? Maybe there is some obvious solution I haven't thought of. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Rusty likes this.
  2. I use an outer clear sleeve and use a piece of scotch-tape to write, RCM.

So, all my cleaned ones will have a nice protective sleeve plus a second visual indicating it was cleaned.

Very low tech.....but you could design your own sticky label and print them out, I chose not.

Oh....and just don't mix em up. Gotta be more anal with this hobby!

The FRiNgE and BrentB like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I used to write notes on the aftermarket inner. Now, I can tell just be seeing what inner sleeve is holding the record when it was last cleaned on what machine(s).

cporcp, black sheriff and bluesaddict like this.
  4. neut6o1

Haha, good advice to not mix em up. I have tried, but sadly I lack discipline. I do like the idea of a scotch tape to write RCM on. That would be pretty easily removable. Thanks for the idea.

5. neut6o1

Ahh yeah, the problem is that I put new records into a new inner sleeve immediately because I don't let the record stay in a scratchy paper sleeve for one second longer than needed. Even if it means I don't clean them first. That is why I need a secondary way to signify when I have cleaned one.

6. I lay the outer sleeve down then the cardboard cover then the MOFI inner sleeve and then usually stack them 3-4 deep in a few piles to get to more music when I have a few people over....just don't tell nobody, I might get my AUDIOPHILE membership revoked!

Can"t mix em this way.

displayname likes this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I keep track on the same spreadsheet I use to track when I've played the record.

<sigh>

uzn007 and Mugrug12 like this.
  8. neut6o1

I never mix sleeves between records. But I do put cleaned and non-cleaned records in my playing stacks and forget to keep them separated. But as the Offspring say, "Gotta keep em separated".

9. neut6o1

Wow, keeping track of how many plays a record has. That is another level. I hope to get to that level someday. The records you have the most plays on, you should get duplicates or triplicates of the same record for when the original record is played out.

10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I look at the record. If I can't tell if it's been cleaned recently or not, it doesn't need to be cleaned.

Dan Steele, Jimbo912, TheVU and 5 others like this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's like vinyl collecting OCD Level Two...no thanks.

As far as your original question...I just clean them before the first play. Since you're already past that, maybe just clean them on the next play and just make a note somewhere. Word doc or a spreadsheet, if this is overly important to you.

12. neut6o1

Yeah, I have purchased some records that were super clean looking before a cleaning but were improved markedly by a cleaning. So I can't tell just by looking.

The FRiNgE and fluffskul like this.
  13. neut6o1

Good plan. But I can't seem to find time to clean every record before the first play. I am honest with myself and I will probably never be able to do this.

14. fluffskul

Fair enough.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have a SpinClean, does the trick and I can go through a dozen LP's in like fifteen minutes.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  16. neut6o1

Nice. I have an Okki Nokki and it takes me about 30 minutes for 4 records(8 sides). Maybe I am just slow moving.

displayname likes this.
  17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The reason why I did this was, mostly, to always know how many plays something has that I buy new.

But since I was doing it for the new stuff, I figured I might as well do it for the used finds, too.

The majority of my vinyl was purchased in the last 4 years, so it really hasn't been all that labor intensive. I've gotten used to it. My collection skews heavily to CDs, and I don't track any of those plays.

18. fluffskul

You make a good point. For thrift-store/discount rack LPs, I actually do segregate them until they are cleaned. New LPs (or very lightly used LPs), I will play without cleaning, if they pass a visual inspection.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think @NettleBed was implying you guys are tackling this hobby with way too much of a scientific bent.

I happen to agree.

Simply put, I wash them right before playing them. The process of putting them in a sleeve and taking them out is bound to add dust onto the LP. This way, I don't have to maintain a spreadsheet and carry a clipboard with me or edit an Excel file like some proposed.

Tony-A likes this.
  20. And if you plan on getting the most out of the grooves for a lifetime of enjoyment, invest in a KLAUDIO RCM and use reagent grade water.

It is not a subtle change in SQ.

And, I have found cleaning 4-5 times to be about the sweet spot then dry once.

No connection to KLAUDIO.....

21. neut6o1

Sure, I was just asking for help based on my laziness of not washing them before playing them. I know myself and I can't see myself washing them before the first play. I thought maybe I could add a sticker or something simple in order to avoid an excel file.

22. neut6o1

You clean them 4-5 times? That is going to be tough for me since I am unable to be disciplined enough to wash them even once before the first play, haha.

eddiel likes this.
  23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

so glad I’m still into CD.....

25. neut6o1

Ahh yes, the classic, haha. Too true.

fluffskul and gregorya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.