How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

bummer! good luck on your search!

2. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

once i get fed up with having to segment my digital archive, Roon could be the solution for me!
    thanks.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Dell Studio XPS 7100, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    JRiver Media Center 23 (CD rips, downloads) or Spotify Premium out to:
    Nuforce ICON-UDAC2-BLACK Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC to Stereo Receiver or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You can get short 6" USB extension cables. Search Amazon for "6 inch usb extension cable" and you'll find a bunch of options. Some even with right angle plugs, which can be handy. A short extension cable will keep the Drangonfly or similar dongle from potentially damaging the USB port.

I use the NAS for only storage. I'm not running a DLNA/UPNP server or service on the NAS. I run JRiver on a laptop which does the server duties. JRiver has options for using an iOS or Android app to control things. JRiver is also working on a web interface that is touch screen friendly to allow you to browse and search your library of music and control what is being played. You can also run JRiver on a Windows/Mac/Linux computer as a client to control what is being played. Current Chromebooks are also adding touch screens and also Android app support. You could use a Chromebook to run the JRiver web interface or the Android app.

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Of the software solutions we have tried out to play the music stored on our server, Roon has been the best. We recently updated to an Oppo 205 which is a Roon endpoint (and has an excellent onboard DAC), and we can control Roon and the Oppo via our phones or the iPad. It works, pretty much simply and seamlessly.

6. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

FreeNAS Server -> Desktop PC -> Cheapo WinTab Windows 10 tablet running Foobar 2000 with UPnP sink plugin -> Fiio DAC -> Stereo

I just find the album I want to listen to, select all the FLAC files, right-click and "Cast To-> Foobar2000"

I'll probably do a JRiver or Plex setup at some point, with a web front-end. FreeNAS has a native Plex plugin which I've heard works well.

7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

it should read cambridge azur 540A integrated amp

8. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Lossless from MacBook Pro via optical out into Channel Islands Audio DAC into Line Magnetic integrated.

9. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Windows PC running JRiver > Schiit Eitr > Schiit Gungnir multibit > Schiit Moljnir2 with tubes > Senn HD-650s

timind likes this.
  10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Sony HAP Z1ES

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

No. My music system is only capable of playing LPs, CDs, and FM.

siveld and John Schofield like this.
  12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

So far so good. I used long shallow plastic stackable boxes with the CDs stacked with the spines up.

Boxes are grouped by genre then alpha, except for audiophile stuff like Mofi, DCC, and AF in numerical order. That helps because the new discs almost always land at the end of the queue.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Flash drive into the USB input of a Marantz SA8003.

But I don't mind getting up to change a disc or turnover vinyl because my glass usually needs refilling by then anyways.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

billnunan and timind like this.
  14. Brian Waldron

Brian Waldron Forum Resident

Raspberry Pi 3, sourcing FLAC files from a USB connected hard drive, feeding a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, under the control of Runeaudio.

15. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Spotify >> Macbook air >> MSB DAC >> Pre Amp >>->

16. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Foobar 2000 running on an old Sony Vaio laptop with a broken screen (lid is always closed) >>
    USB cable >>
    Schiit Gumby >>
    Rogue Phoenix II

Since the Vaio's screen is broken, I control the laptop with MonkeyMote or Google Remote desktop.

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Hard drive into Oppo. About 25% of the time.

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

All music ripped or transcoded to AIFF files, stored on Western Digital 2TB portable FireWire HDD's fed to Macs running Audirvana Plus. I use Goodhertz Can Opener Studio AU plug-in with my iMac/nearfield/headphone system. The main system in the my family room is run from a MacBook Pro server, directly or with cellphone remote. I also have Airport Express units plugged into a couple other stereos around the house, and stream to those with AirPlay.

19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have 4 ways :
    1) flac files on subsonic server played through chromecast audio connected to my cxa60 amp via optical and controlled via dsub app
    2) squeezebox connected to cxa60 via coaxial and controlled via squeezebox remote (music stored on server running lms)
    3) Kodi media center pc connected to cxa60 amp reading flac files from server (samba share).
    4) Cambridge cxu reading flac file from upnp server serviio running on home server

My flac files are all stored on a homeserver running lms, serviio and subsonic.

I mostly use the squeezebox and the chromecast, it's faster than turning on the cxu player.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

USB hard drive into Oppo 203

21. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

"but other than that, how are people directing NAS based archives into their amps?"
    For me it became essential not to have a computer system involved (Windows or Mac). Without going into the several reasons and preferences for this, I wanted to have my digital library to function as storage much like a shelf full of records and CD's. Playback needed to be by a dedicated audio device designed for digital audio playback. My solution is Storage (NAS)>Wireless/Wired Streamer (so many good choices with DAC or without)>DAC (separate in my case cause I want it that way)>Preamp. This is analogous to Shelf of CD's and records>CD player or TT (perhaps a separate phono pre)>Preamp. The phone or tablet used to control the selection of files, stations to tune to and stream or the album art to view is nothing more than a remote control. All the "playing" is done by devices designed for audio.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Mr. Explorer and Shiver like this.
  22. My music is stored on a 2TB hardrive (multiple backups) connected to my PC. I have my CDs ripped (WAV), hi resolution vinyl rips (WAV), downloaded hi-rez albums (WAV) and downloaded concert boots (FLAC) on the hardrives. I use a Soundbox Pro external audio card connected between the PC and Kenwood C1 control amp. This way I can record digitally from my stereo. I use MusicBee mostly to play my files. Sometimes Foobar2000.

23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

6TB Drives - JRiver Media Center - Grace Designs M905 Monitor Controller

The M905 connects via USB from a dedicated computer in the sound room.

m905 reference monitor controller

24. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Computer to Logitek Squeezebox to Cambridge Audio CDP/DAC 840.

c-eling likes this.
  25. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

MediaMonkey on a BeeBox fanless PC running Windows 10. Wireless interface to a NAS with flac rips and torrents. HDMI out to an LG smart TV, optical from TV to LG LS50 Wireless.
    For streaming (auditioning music, casual listening), Amazon Prime Music on a Fire TV 4K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.