How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

iPod Classic > 30 pin line out to USB port on Yamaha CD-S300 CD player. Same thing with streaming from iPhone and 10’ Lightning cable. Sounds great and can control the iPod with the remote from the CD player.

2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Update:

The "inexpensive Sony BD players" have been replaced with "inexpensive [on sale] Sony UBP-X800 BD players" that have significantly better streaming ability, including the ability to stream (wireless or Ethernet) stereo and multichannel DSF (SACD-DSD) files.

My single 4 TB server now handles video files only. I've added two 3 TB servers - one for DSD files and one for MP3.

Jeff

andybeau and PhilBiker like this.
  3. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Does a tablet work as an analog source with the mini-stereo output? Or is the volume too low?

4. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Cocktail Audio X10 - The Next Generation in CD Ripping

I had been using linked one with no trouble for more than 2 years.

You do not need laptop or tablet and good display on it.

It is a standalone CD player but I use its digital output to feed EMMlab Dac2 for better sound.

5. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I use a Mac Mini which is basically dedicated to audio at this point. Apple lossless for a lot, but not the full library yet. No monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, so if I need access to the desktop I fire up Chrome Remote Desktop on my iPad. Otherwise just use Apple remote to control the playback.

Mac Mini (running BitPerfect app for the output) ->AudioQuest JitterBug ->Musical Fidelity V90 DAC

I can also stream with an Apple airport express. This is my wife’s preferred method.

6. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I use a dedicated Mac Mini. I tried several interfaces for monitor less remote control but wasn’t really happy with any so I use a wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad. This is by far the easiest way I found.

I also tried a few players such as Bitperfect and Audirvana but chose Amarra 4.

Because of this my digital setup has become really simple and I’m really happy with the SQ. Mac Mini via USB to Macintosh 8900 Integrated.

Melvin likes this.
  7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Although my music is stored in iTunes on a Mac, I don't play files on the home hi-fi. I use the old-school "sneaker net" to select disc, put in CD player, then give the album a good focused workout. Computer audio is a neat subject...just don't execute it at home. I am a semi-luddite I suppose.

cmcintyre likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Burn them to CD-Rs (in WAV), and play them with my CD player. Don't have anything to play files otherwise.

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Computer files through USB to Grace Digital M905 Monitor Controller.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just today I plugged my iPhone into my aux out on the receiver and I played some ALAC files through my stereo.

11. 80 percent of my digital music on a Mac Mini 1TB drive played thru a DAC. The remainder are still on disc and played with multiple format digital disc player.

12. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

USB drive connected to Oppo 103. Oppo via hdmi to Receiver. I control the playback of files with Oppo's remote, using my TV as monitor.

13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Everything changed since December. I play files or Tidal from a MacBook or iPhone/iPad and stream it through WiFi to my Chromecast Audio plugged in the optical input of my Parasound Halo Integrated and use the Halo's internal DAC.

14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

QNAP—>Roon—>uRendu—>LS50W

Or Roon —>Nova150

Roon—>iMac—>HA-P90–>Headphones

Sometimes I go straight from Roon to the LS50W.basically depends on my mood.

15. Timbo369

Timbo369 New Member

I dont even access my digital library anymore. I tell my Google mini exactly what I want to hear and it sends it via Spotify connect to my Chromecast audio connected optical to my Cambridge Audio cxa60. It sounds amazing, has access to the largest library in the world, is super easy and entirely voice controlled. Who could ask for more.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

All files on a thumb drive plugged into a Raspberry Pi with Allo Digione running Volumio. From there via coax to Schiit Gungnir Multibit. For $2000 more I can get a Roon Nucleus with a lifetime software subscription! Sleeping on it.

I replaced a USB SSD with the thumb drive because it's so easy to move over to my mac for file management.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

FLAC(mostly)files streamed through a Squeezebox Touch, USB connected to a SMSL-SU-8 DAC, through a McIntosh C24 pre/McIntosh MC2105 amp.

18. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Modified 1st gen Apple TV with 1tb hard drive controlled from my iPhone feeds my DAC and then amplifier.

19. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

Ripped CDs to lossless and high res needle dropped FLACs on external hard drive > windows 7 laptop running JRiver > USB-to-coax adapter > Marantz integrated amp. Playback controlled with Gizmo app on phone from listening position.

20. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Music files on 4 TB external drive connected to computer running Logitech Media Server in my office > ethernet connection to Raspberry Pi with HifiBerry Digi+ Pro running Picoreplayer software > Audio Note Kit 2.1 DAC.

21. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

Stream using an Airport Express.

SeanRichard likes this.
  22. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Bluesound Node 2 straight into KEF LS50 Wireless speakers via Lifatec optical, WD 2TB connected to Node 2 via USB.

rodentdog and Tim 2 like this.
  23. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

iphone (m4a) through my Optonica SA-5207 aux

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I-pod to DR DAC to your amp. Or better yet ( much better ) get a Blue Sound Vault and stream from hi-res Tital or from your library.

I run my Blue Sound to an Audio Research DAC for the best sound ever.

25. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

My most common way of listening to my music is via Apple Music (where most of my files have been "matched"). I have Airplay and Airplay 2 devices all over the house, so it can be controlled via Siri or from my iOS devices.

However, I still run iTunes on a Mac Mini to get access to my lossless files on occasion via AppleTVs I have around the house using their "Computer" app. I also have them on a Synology server and use their DS Audio app to stream them (AppleTV, Airport Express, and Airplay receiving receivers) or to access the file directly with my Yamaha WXC-50.

I also have Amazon Dots for convenience and Amazon has matched thousands of my audio files (but it did choke on my whole collection). In addition, I have casting devices in a couple rooms and Plex running on a few devices, but I rarely use them.

Lots of options for streaming in my home. I still just prefer using Apple Music on my iPhone or HomePod and just sending audio to Airplay devices where I want to hear it. I might hear a difference on some songs, but it just isn't enough to worry about with issues like the "loudness wars" effecting my lossless collection and Apple having many Mastered for iTunes selections that typically fix that issue even if they aren't sending them out losslessly at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.