How do you lubricate a VPI Scoutmaster turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fmuakkassa, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

The manual says:

"After at least one year of use, the platter bearing and motor will need to be lubricated. For the platter bearing, use .25 teaspoon of white lithium grease. For the motor, use 1 drop of 40-weight motor oil below the brass piece."

So am I correct that I need to put the white lithium grease over the shaft at the top of the ball (see picture with arrow)

Lubricating platter picture.jpg

What about the motor. I don't understand the instructions. Where do I need to put a drop of the motor oil? Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

It looks that way. Check it when you pull the platter, if there is still plenty of grease on it leave it be for another 6 months or so.

3. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

I am NOT experienced with this brand, but I will assume the brass part of the motor area is a pulley. So get a drop of oil under the pulley and into the shaft/motor bearing area and spin it to move the oil into the moving bearing.

Put a bit of lithium grease on the shaft sticking up which supports the platter, I will assume. Best of luck. Rolf.

4. fmuakkassa

Rolf,
    OK, I got the spindle right. Is this where I should add a drop of oil on the motor shaft? (see picture with arrow). I don't see any other place to do that short of opening the motor cover.

motor with arrow to where to add oil.jpg

Thanks

5. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Yes.

That appears to me to be EXACTLY where the drop of oil should be applied. Again, I have no DIRECT experience with this model. But it looks like the spot to me. Right were the spinning shaft enters the stationary motor. Be careful to NOT get any oil on the belt or pulley.. Wipe away excess oil. Good luck, Rolf E.

6. Tony Plachy

I do not see a brass piece in the photograph. Is there one? If you take off the four screws that are on the motor cover you can lift out the motor, then you can take of the pully using an allen key. This should give you easy and clear access to the motor shaft.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Is it hot in here or is it just me? :laugh:

8. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Why not put a call in to Weisfeld? :confused:

9. fmuakkassa

No. I don't see any brass either, hence my confusion. The manual could be old and updated to reflect this new 300 RPM motor.

10. fmuakkassa

Good question. I asked the question in this forum for two reasons.

1) because I know there are a lot of Scout/Scoutmaster owners that could answer my question

2) and at the same time it would benefit forum members to have this information handy with pictures when they search the forum.

11. Tony Plachy

Pat, Are you in the right thread? :confused: Love your avatar. :righton:

12. TimJo

TimJo New Member

My memory when installing the 300 rpm upgrade, the brass collar is hidden under the pulley. The bottom of the pulley and the bottom of the brass collar are at the same height.

13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm glad this question came up. I've had my Scoutmaster for over a year now and I've been meaning to add the oil. I agree that the manual isn't all that helpful. Thankfully, the Michael Fremer DVD is!

14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I just received VPI magic lubricant. How much of this grease is one supposed to put on the tip of the inverted bearing? I put a small amount on the tip, rubbed some on the shaft, and put the platter back in place. I read where others said that their platter spun freely after this, but mine seemed to stop after several revolutions. In other words, the magic lube either needs to be applied more heavily, or the white lithium grease is better.

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

There should be a good dab on the ball tip, and almost next to none on the shaft--a very, very thin film is all that is needed. Too much and you get the result you have since the clearance between the shaft and the well is so small. This is why a tube of Magic Lube will last your lifetime--or longer. Remove the platter, clean the shaft and the well, and re-grease.

John K.

16. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I put the white grease on the spindle rubbed it all around and then wiped the excess off, I have done this twice since 2007 no issues. FWIW I have never added oil to the motor again no issues, as long as it's quiet it's not needed!!!

17. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I have my Scout for more then ten years and never oiled/lubed the motor, I've never had any issues.

Bird likes this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I did as you instructed and it did help. Mind you the platter is not spinning endlessly like some platters will when giving a spin without the belt hooked up, but it's better. I don't think the inverted bearing set ups allowed the platter to spin a long time, as mine never did even when new. However, I guess that's what I was kind of hoping for with this "magic" lube. How much is a "good dap" in your estimation? About the size of a pea or smaller?

19. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

White lithium grease will work just as well. It's less than $5 for a giant tube or you can buy a tiny little tube of VPI magic lube for $26. Magic Lube will not make the platter spin any better than lithium grease.

Call VPI - here's their number to call and ask them about it. (732) 583-6895

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I take it you asked them about it? Isn't it their own product? I would be surprised if they don't promote their own thing. I did post a question on the new VPI forum for Mat or Harry, and even sent Mat an email. As of yet, no response.

21. Upinsmoke

You are not the first person to have issues with their customer service. I saw your posting on their site. The other comments are correct, including the link to another thread. I believe you are correct in that they would promote their own product but they have recommended lithium based before.

As to your question, no I did not ask them but there is plenty of information here and on VPI's forums about lubricants. Mathews Dad said if you already have the Super Lube use it, otherwise any of the other lubes (lithium, PTFE based etc) work just as well. It's not rocket science, just lubing a bearing.

Their lube is just a basic PTFE based lube. Nothing more is really needed than the litium though.

If you want to crazy can try something I use on my bike, and next time I lube the bearing on my table - check out the Finish Line premium grease with that magic PTFE stuff. Space age stuff as I believe it was called by HW. There's a bunch of great lubricants out there.

22. Upinsmoke

23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

24. Upinsmoke

Well to be honest I don't know what VPI was selling it for when they did carry it. I thought I heard they no longer sold it. Could just be MD gouging the price. IDK Anyone know?

25. Upinsmoke

Here's your answer from BRF (moderator at VPI)

"Both standard lithium and premium (Super/Magic) lithium based greases will both perform equally well when used new. What separates "standard" from "premium" lithium greases is their ability to provide a longer and more consistent performance over a period time without breaking down.

A good analogy would be regular motor oil which needs changing every 3-month compared to synthetic premium motor oil which needs changing once a year."

Lucas or the other suggestions will work fine. If you are really paranoid about it you can always perform cleaning / reapplication every 6 months. Also depend on how often you use your table. A record or two a day isn't going to make any difference in the 6 to 12 month window. Most people that trash their bearing either didn't lube the bearing in the first place or let it go for an extremely long window of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.