How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards To Broad Street" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Time to evaluate another McCartney album. Round 12 in an ongoing series, spread out a couple weeks between albums (to show a modicum of mercy to those sick of Beatle-related threads).

The ground rules: this poll, like the others, is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of his other post-Beatle catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. I intentionally don't name "comparison albums" on the best-to-worst scale, as some may think a particular album of his is awesome, while others have a completely different take on the same album. Just consider how YOU would rate it in comparison with his other post-Beatles work.

NOTE: Unlike most of his official discography, this is the first of his albums to not feature (almost) all original new material, but I feel it's worth rating with the same scale as the other albums and hope you'll agree. The three albums with oldies/standards will also have this issue. I will not be doing polls on all the lesser, experimental/fringe albums, just those that could reasonably be considered part of his regular post-1970 STUDIO output.

If you've missed a previous poll, feel free to vote below. Here's a current recap of how the others have rated so far:
    The "New" album poll. 344 votes, with a weighted average of 3.65 (edging slightly towards "solid effort").
    The "Back To The Egg" album poll. 245 votes, with a weighted average of 3.60.
    The "Wild Life" album poll. 305 votes, with a weighted average of 2.88 (just below "not bad").
    The "Driving Rain" album poll. 258 votes, with a weighted average of 2.76.
    The "Flowers in the Dirt" album poll. 244 votes, with a weighted average of 3.71.
    The "Flaming Pie" album poll. 291 votes, with a very favorable weighted average of 4.11.
    The "McCartney II" album poll. 204 votes, with a weighted average of 3.12.
    The "Red Rose Speedway" album poll. 156 votes, with a weighted average of 3.40.
    The "Memory Almost Full" album poll. 173 votes, with a weighted average of 3.34.
    The "Pipes of Peace" album poll. 145 votes, with the lowest rating to date of 2.44.
    And now, leading the pack in votes and rating, The "Band on the Run" album poll. 355 votes, with a weighted average of 4.62 (!!).

Thanks to all those who continue to take place in the voting!

2. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

**** Sandwich.

stavx79, anthontherun, hazard and 3 others like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hard to vote this one at the lowest tier, because there are a lot of good songs on here. That said, most of them were done as well, or better, by McCartney on other albums. So I voted Lower Tier.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This is one of the few Macca-album I din t find much to enjoy. The versions of the older stuff and some not so old doesn t add anything to the originals. The original song I rank from average to the mediocre. With the eception of No more lonely nights that is a good- if not great song. Thumbs down here

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Love David Gilmour's playing on No More Lonely Nights

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Thanks, again, mrjinks. I voted lower tier. I pay little attention to the remakes. But I enjoy the new songs quite a bit. IIRC, there is a longer version of No Values that gives the song a longer outro that was cool.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

There are some fine moments on this album, with some other parts not so much. This was also the first music I ever heard on that new "Compact Disc" format, where the insert mentions how this will deliver crystal clear sound in a digital format and to not clean it like a conventional record. Gosh, Sam Goody's did some cool things when CDs came out.

Overall, to me, it's just above lower-tier because I do like hearing some of the songs on here (and I do like the reverb on his voice for "Yesterday". It adds something to the lonely style of the song)

And now, I eagerly await the crossover talk to complain about the movie. I love reading that!

mando_dan likes this.
  8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Broad Street was the first McCartney album I ever owned so it's a bit of sentimental favorite. It is far from essential, however.

Guy Smiley and Machiventa like this.
  9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

"Not Such A Good Boy" is a cool song and I wish it was a song on a 1982 Wings album.

Otherwise the album is a complete mess and an embarassment. I love Paul but I think "No More Lonely Nights" is garbage and all the remakes are pointless. Really the ultimate lowpoint in his entire recording career.

10. 905

905 Senior Member

Lower tier

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member

"Not Such A Bad Boy" :shh: I really like "No More Lonely Nights" and David Gilmour plays guitar on that.

mark winstanley and Guy Smiley like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The album and the movie were both total stinkers.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I don't dislike the album as much as most people on this forum. No More Lonely Nights is a Macca classic (and the dance version is pretty funky in an 80's way, IMO), and I enjoy the remakes of Silly Love Songs and The Long and Winding Road - yes, even with the smoove jazz sax!.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Paul still looked incredible young on the album cover. No More lonely Nights stands out.

15. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Too much nostalgia for me to be objective. Big memory from this time is having my fist pay packet and getting my aunt to buy vinyl for me in the big HMV store on Oxford Street when she went to London for a weekend.... the Top Of The Pops where Paul's video was followed by Julian Lennon's debut (Too Late For Goodbyes).

Less than four years after John was killed and George was nowhere to be seen ... a film by Paul ....and stories in Beatles Monthly of jam sessions being filmed and recorded during filming of the movie..... the Beatles picture disc singles reissues wherein full flight....

It's no Band On The Run but it's no rubbish either. Nice reinterpretations of classics... No More Lonely Nights is outrageously overlooked and under rated...a DG guitar solo for crying out loud !!!

It's got Paul, Ringo, George M. It's got Beatles songs... there's film.... what's not to like?

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Good album. I'd recommend it. As far as song exclusive to the album, I always liked No Values.

Hep Alien and Paper Wizard like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not like " Beatles covers.

18. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Same here. My mom got it on cassette for me on my 11th birthday along with Thriller..... and a Walkman! Well it was a GE portable cassette player but it was a walkman to me. So needless to say it holds a special place in my heart.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's what it is.
    GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET came out at the beginning of a very weird time for Paul, one he didn't fully emerge from until FLOWERS IN THE DIRT, five years later.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

His worst IMO. Pointlessly redone solo and Beatles songs, generic, lame original rockers. I listen to it... no more, no more.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    mrjinks likes this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I voted not bad simply for the title track ,the beatle songs and Tug of war tracks keep it from one of his worst ,I'll leave that to stuff like Press to Play and latter works

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It merits "lower tier" only because "No More Lonely Nights" is a very nice ballad. The self-karaoke numbers are perplexing. After years of complaining about Phil Spector's production on"The Long and Winding Road", he gets a chance to redo it and he comes up with a version that's 50% hotel lounge and 50% Kenny G, basically proving that Spector was right all along.

23. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I like it. The remakes add nothing new, but several of the other songs are solid.

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Lower-tier McCartney.

No More Lonely Nights are one of his best compositions ever.
    Not Such A Bad Boy is a no-frills rocker, something which suits him.
    Ballroom Dancing is the only re-recording which make sense. It's a great version with a lot of punch, a blistering solo from Chris Spedding and a new verse, which makes it superior to the original version from Tug Of War.

Other than that: Re-recordings without soul, pointless segue-tracks and even a horrible dance-version of 'Nights', which is the ultimate proof of how you can make a great song, a piece of garbage.

25. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

No More Lonely Nights. David Gilmour.

And the rest is silence...

jahndhi, Millington and anthontherun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.