How Do You Rate The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I see what you did there :D

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

X's first 4 albums is one of the best starts ever by a rock group.

Spazaru likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, ultimately what I "mythologize" them for is their incredible knack for writing/composing/arranging. They had a completely idiosyncratic, wonderfully weird but still commercial and always catchy mashup of a ton of different, often unexpected influences, with an aesthetically beautiful grotesque/creepy/macabre vibe to a lot of their music.

HfxBob, padesu, MortSahlFan and 2 others like this.
  4. Exceptional. What's not to like about The Doors?..

5. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Good but very much overrated.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I went with great and I am a big fan. I have all the studio albums and most of the officially released live albums. I also have a few unofficial albums.

7. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Well, I didn’t invent that definition!

8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Okay, I could take them or leave them and/or appreciate their talents but personally don't like them

Pretty much sums it up for me. :shrug:

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love them in 7th grade when I briefly bought into Morrison as poet/shaman/visionary line and got their whole catalog.

Around 8th grade that all started seeming ridiculous and I sold almost all their records. At this point they are one of three highly acclaimed bands that I actively dislike with the exception of a couple songs by each.

I do still enjoy Riders on the Storm, the Feliciano version of Light My Fire and the Nico version of The End.

Other than those 3, I would be just as happy to have them purged from my memory.

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

This is the first band that ever made me care about live performances. Totally changed my perception. Watching the Hollywood Bowl in HD totally blew my mind. I was transfixed the whole time.

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Anyone who denies what an legendary performer Jim Morrison was has no understanding of the importance of the front man in rock n' roll.

The Doors are and always will be one of the greatest rock bands to exist. Trying to nitpick their flaws to disprove this is futile.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Great, I dig them. I’ve the core catalog.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  13. Tommy Jay

Tommy Jay Forum Resident

After listening to Absolutely Live last weekend with a fellow Doors fanatic, I proclaimed their version of "Who Do You Love" to be maybe the best live performance of any song ever! (I was a little tipsy!)

The dynamics of their performance, John's perfect drum intro, and Robbie's otherworldly slide guitar gave me goosebumps for about the thousandth time!

I remember grabbing that album as soon as it came out. I was 13 yrs old. Went home, put on side one and my massive headphones, listened to the MC trying to control the crowd frenzy, and then WHOOSH---ecstasy! Listening again 50 yrs. later---same feeling!

14. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Being on the younger side of this forum, I started listening to the Doors well after Jim’s passing. I formed my opinion of their music prior to learning about (most) of Jim’s antics and issues. I rate them exceptional.

Brian Lux, ParloFax and MortSahlFan like this.
  15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I voted great. I stop just short of declaring them one of the best ever, but would never object to someone thinking that.

I love their music, all of it, but agree that Morrison was a bit much to deal with.

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Good singles band.

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Lizard chic! Wish I could steal that but it really only works when talking about the Doors, eh?

Lightworker and Tommy Jay like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

One of the greatest ever. 6 classic albums.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is Oliver Stone's fault. I'm just judging them by the music they made, and it is good.

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I would never inpugn anyone's love for a band. Personally, though, I really dislike them. Maybe the whole is greater than the sum of the parts -- but between the "poetry" and the crooning, there's not much I find appealing about Jim, and I think they were a pretty limp sounding band instrumentally. Some catchy rockers, though.

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

That's a fair call!
    I can understand how those things could really detract from your enjoyment of the band as a whole if you don't like them. I'm just genuinely sorry you don't enjoy them :)

Maggie and MortSahlFan like this.
  22. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

23. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I rated them exceptional, Hard for them to top their 1st album, great debut, quality took a hit with Soft Parade (IMO) but every album had at least one hit on it. Came roaring back with Morrison Hotel and L.A. Women.

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I honestly think Morrison Hotel is one of the best rock albums of all time. It has many of the best genre defining elements contained within. It also makes as the perfect intro to the band imo. Really think it deserves more recognition than it gets.

25. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Ahhh yes, the definition of Oliver Stone's "man crush" self-perceived version of the Doors and sadly, probably a lot of peoples only misguided understanding of the band and Jim in particular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.