How do you think the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper will be handled by Apple?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OobuJoobu, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

April 1st seems to be a reliable date ... ;)

2. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Wonder if Paul will bring back the "Sgt. Pepper Reprise" at his shows this year? It would be nice if he performed a mini "Pepper" set during his concerts. He'll probably do some songs from his latest album released this year instead. That's pretty much expected I guess.

3. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

We all know what we really want is that 50th anniversary edition of Their Satanic Majesties Request with a 12 minute mix of Gomper : )

4. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Someone may have pointed this out already, but they let the 50th of the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single go by without any fanfare, so I expect the same for Pepper.
    Hope I am wrong.
    A nice reissue of Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane in the original picture sleeve on Parlophone would have been most welcome.

TC

5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Amazing Record Store Day idea!

jamiesjamies likes this.
  6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It COULD have been if they issued a 45 with original UK sleeve AND a 10" EP featuring new stereo remixes on the A side and two outtakes/working versions or demos of the songs on the flip side. Take one of SFF WITH George and Paul's gorgeous harmonies (left off Anthology 2) or a complete Take 7 and a true alternate take or early version of Penny Lane (no, not the US promo trumpet flourish ending) would have made a truly amazing Record Store Day release. It's actually quite sad no one at Apple thought of doing such a project. Ron

7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I hope they do something. Pepper's was huge. Perhaps add an update of their film from 1987.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Wingsfan2012

How about the George Martin produced "Making of Sgt. Pepper" special from the early 90's that was a cable special but never released on home video?

9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Or maybe the US promo 45 with the trumpet ending on Penny Lane!

10. Jae

Jae Senior Member

A reissue of the original Capitol release (sans the whistle and inner groove) but using 2009 remasters that include the whistle and inner groove as bonus tracks. The release will come with a unique sticker indicating it as the first digital release of the original American album. A UNIQUE STICKER! UMG will make a million...

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Apple has been consistent over the past five years by issuing something by the Beatles on a yearly basis. I can't see them passing up the opportunity to commerate Pepper with some kind of audio release. There's too much money to be made, not to.

forthlin likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If nothing fancy comes out I'll no doubt have saved 50/200.00 bucks. I'll have to eat the pizza without pepper.

13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Fixed.

14. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Today is the 50th anniversary of the promo films "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane" original US broadcast on "The Hollywood Palace" in 1967. Watching those two clips for the first time was quite the experience! I'm glad my family had a color TV by that time. Watching "The Beatles At Shea Stadium" not too long afterwards was pretty cool too........and quite a contrast to the "New Look Beatles"!

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

@lennonology said it was recorded March 26, 1970.

16. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yeah, it's hard to imagine how much of a shock the new Beatles image was. I wasn't even born then, and it's not unusual now for bands/artists to come up with a completely new look and/or sound with a new album.

Sure there were signs - the halt to touring, the gap in releases, the more advanced sounds of Rubber Soul & Revolver (especially Tomorrow Never Knows).

It's just cool thinking that they 'disappeared' for months, only to emerge with this weird change in direction. The only similar examples I've experienced first-hand were U2 releasing 'The Fly' as a single ahead of Achtung Baby, and Radiohead baffling everyone with Kid A after speculation about their followup to OK Computer.

Cledwyn and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Could be. Thanks for the correction (if absolutely true).

18. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

It's too obvious...

19. Wingsfan2012

Stop thinking logically, this is Apple- now a little more fan friendly than Neil Aspinall's Apple but still Apple.....something "Beatles" wise will come out this year, they just have no track record for caring about anniversaries....

20. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

21. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

If you do not read them, why do they bother you.

HarvG and nikh33 like this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Start your own thread about something you're interested in. If you see "Beatles" in the thread title, ignore it.
    Every few days someone whines about there being 'too many' Beatles threads, usually someone who has been on here for two or three or four years. Remember the guy who complained it was "90%" Beatles threads. And when we counted up it was 2% ? It's how Steve Hoffmann wants it. It's his board. You're very welcome to stay.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    jtiner, Kim Olesen and HarvG like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There has to be an element of FUN with anniversaries. This would be just that. Let's relax and have some fun, Apple. Give us a few goodies.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

But that's not entirely true. They spent the better part of 2014 celebrating the 50th anniversary of Ed Sullivan and the whole British Invasion thing -- they even had a 50th logo! They put out a 30th Anniversary White Album in 1998 -- a missed opportunity to release the mono mix, but still. (They considered a 30th anniversary mono Pepper in 1997, but got cold feet.) George put out a 30th anniversary ATMP on CD in 2000, and a 40th anniversary LP set in 2010, and Paul has put out anniversary-timed reissues. [snarky comment redacted]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Clearly this isn't true, because if it was, we would have seen a Revolver box set or something for previous Beatles albums. As it stands, Apple will likely not release any unreleased audio or remixed tracks from Sgt. Pepper, so there's another (possibly their biggest?) album where they are ignoring a chance to make money. Do you know how successful a DVD of 1 would have been in 2000 when the CD came out? They would have made a lot more money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.