How does Line Magnetic compare to Decware, Leben, Manley and the usual suspects.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm looking to add some modern amplification to my system and am very curious about Line Magnetic and am interested in any opinions you guys have on them. I'm looking to stay under 3 grand and am really curious about the 211 and 216. So any opinions on the brand are welcome.

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The 216 was an incredible amp. Worked well with everything I threw at it, from Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors to my current DeVore Orangutans 0/93. It replaced a standard Rogue Audio Cronus, and to me was better in every aspect imaginable. I also had a Leben CS600 for a bit and I wound up selling it because I felt it didn't offer the significant enough improvement over the 216 to warrant the additional cost, so I sold it. Not that it isn't a great amp, I just chose to go in a different direction.

ThorensSme, russk and bhazen like this.
  3. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

4. russk

I read through that thread. It was an interesting read. I've heard the CS600. Thought it was a great amp. I'd be using it over a pair Klipsch Cornwalls. Erocka, would you consider it a quiet amp with your Devores?

Anyone with the Line Magnetics roll the power tube types? Has anyone spent time with their EL34 amp and their KT88 amp. Other then the extra power how did they compare?

The only Line Magnetic dealer I can find near me is down in NYC. Trying to decide if I should make the drive.

5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The 216 was incredibly quiet with the O/93s. I rolled the tubes pretty much when I bought it to some Gold Lion KT88 reissues, NOS Sylvania 12bh7's and Psvane 12ax7's. If you do plan on going to In Living Stereo, you should call ahead so they can reserve you some time. It gets pretty crowded in there on the weekends, and they may not have time to demo if other people are demoing. It's a somewhat small space.

russk likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I have both the 211 and 216 here (well had....recently sold my 216 and will be ordering another). To me, both are incredibly good.....actually hard to believe the price points with what they sound like.

I'm a big El34 guy, so I am a little biased towards the 211. But really, both offer extremely nice sound, and very good build quality.

One thing to think about here, but comparing to Manley is tad tough as the Stingray is now $5900 (I'm a Manley dealer as well). While I love the Stingray (it's a very fun integrated), it's 3 times the cost of the LM units!

russk likes this.
  7. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

It's tough because you are a Manley dealer? If you weren't a dealer and you had $5900 to spend would you still want a LM? That's the question.

russk likes this.
  8. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I have the 216, and love it! It really is an amazing piece. I have gold lion 12ax7 and gold lion kt88 tubes, which brought a really nice improvement in bass definition and refinement/soundtaging (all of these were very good to begin with with stock tubes.)

It is incredibly quiet and transparent!

russk likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So, I own the 211, and spent a lot of time auditioning it side by side with the 216. Both are awesome amps that do a lot very well. I went with the 211 for what I'd wager are the typical reasons one picks EL34 over KT88, it just sounded more like what I was going for - a little more juice in the midrange at some expense of bass. I'm using SED Winged C El34s and telefunken in the 12ax7/12au7.

10. GoldprintAudio

It's tough b/c I like all 3. And as I stated before, the LM units offer tremendous values.

russk likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

How does it compare to the Cronus Magnum II?

I have zero LM dealers in my area.

russk likes this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I prefer the 211 to the 216 - basically when it comes to vocals and instruments the 211 reminds of a Single Ended amplifier and that's pretty darn impressive for a $1600 amp. The 216 is good but I'm not a big fan of KT88 - they always sound a little hard to me on longer listening. Horses of courses.

Line Magnetic is going to beat up some staples because they're priced more attractively and built every bit as well as some bigger Western competitors. But don't forget some of them - the Audio Note I-Zero for example is $2400 and it's better than the 211 or 216 on sound (but you give up lots of watts and looks). Plus you'll probably get much higher resale value from the Audio Note making it virtually the same NET price down the line.

Still if you can you want to try for a SET or SEP amplifier where possible if you have efficient speakers and don't require stupid volume levels. If you can go used a secondhand Audio Note OTO SE or Phono SE in the mid $2k range would be difficult to beat. I've had my OTO Phono SE for over 10 years and it hangs in with almost anything because it sounds "right" and the lies are of the omission type.

I believe with $3k you can look at the 218IA from Line Magnetic - it is a SET amplifier. I think it is $3500 and is similar(perhaps the same design) as the 518IA. I'd want to look inside to see what the upgrades are - you can always upgrade things like caps resisters later.

russk likes this.
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I love my LM KT88 amp. Love it even more since I paid half the going price, new. :p

russk likes this.
  14. GoldprintAudio

Sent you a quick PM with more details.

russk likes this.
  15. russk

I have to say I'm curious too. I've heard the Cronus Magnum quite a bit.

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

The 216IA is $999 online right now. What do you guys think: is the front end a better choice than my McIntosh MX110z for rock, jazz, modern classical, etc?

17. russk

Really? From where? That is an amazing deal. I prefer the the 211ia but damn that is a good buy

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Unless its a used item for sale on an auction site, I'd be worried. They don't do mail order and the gray market sellers all seem to have 220V units.

19. avanti1960

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'll tell you bro, I'm pretty much in love with my 211. I use Winged-C EL34s and alternate between Mullard and Tele 12ax7's and its just wonderful. I can't recommend it highly enough.

russk likes this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

james likes this.
  22. avanti1960

It lists 110 / 220 V?

23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Pretty sure based on the description that the 110v/60hz version is available to order (may just take an additional 7 days to process).

So, 211ia is the way to go, eh?

24. avanti1960

25. russk

I've not heard any amp under, well till you get to the 518ia that I like better. The 211 is amazing. How much of a change did you notice rolling between Tele and Mullard?

I'm always hesitant to buy grey market stuff like that. If anything goes wrong, not that it is likely to, you are screwed. But damn that is a huge deal on the 518ia and the DAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.