How does the AT440MLb compare to the AT440MLa?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tripura, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripura

Tripura New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the AT440MLb replacement that Audio Technica has brought out to their well-loved AT440MLa cartridge? How does it compare for sound and tracking?

I'm wondering if I should get the AT440MLa as an upgrade to my current cartridge or buy the new AT440MLb instead (which actually appears to be slightly cheaper here in the UK than its predecessor - both seem to be widely stocked).

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts?

2. Tripura

Tripura New Member Thread Starter

Differences in specifications highlighted in bold.

AT440MLb specifications:
    • Frequency Response: 20-25,000 Hz
    • Channel Separation: 28 dB at 1kHz
    • Channel Balance: 1.0 dB
    • Tracking Force: 1.0-1.8 grams
    • Vertical Tracking Angle: 20°
    • Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
    • Output Voltage: 4.0 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
    • Stylus Shape: Microline
    • Stylus Construction: Nude square
    • Coil DC Resistance: 610
    • Mount: Half-inch
    • Weight: 6.5g
    • Replacement Stylus: ATN440Mb

...and AT440MLa specifications:
    • Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
    • Channel Separation: 27 dB at 1kHz
    • Channel Balance: 0.8 dB
    • Tracking Force: 1.0-1.8 grams
    • Vertical Tracking Angle: 20°
    • Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
    • Output Voltage: 4.0 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
    • Stylus Shape: Microline
    • Stylus Construction: Nude square
    • Mount: Half-inch
    • Weight: 6.5g
    • Replacement Stylus: ATN440MLa

3. My brother has the mla and sounds great so I ordered one from Juno and got the mlb instead . ! I presume it's a upgrade... Anyway , it sounds fantastic and tracks amazing. In fact , it's that good I've only got .5 anti skate dialed in I would say it's a little bright in the top end and looking at the spec the mla is 20,000 hz compaired to the mlb 25,000 hz . Better to have more and cut than less and boost!! I'm a sound engineer so if my mix on stage is to toppy I'll back off the highs which is so much better than
    Boosting! Seems the mlb is cheaper than the mla but I recon it's because of the promotion of a new product.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The highs might tame just a little bit after some use. It seems like it did on my mLa, anyway. (Or maybe I'm just losing some top-end hearing :winkgrin:)

Lsebootlegproductions likes this.
  5. Think your correct on this . My bro said it needs running in so with what your saying as well it's all good. Cheers :))

6. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Just installed my new AT440mlb yesterday. The minute I dropped the needle it was sheer bliss. Also the setup was pretty foolproof following the bilingual instructions from Japan.

Haven't fussed yet with protractors or anything. But that IGD? Goonnnnne, gone!! And it's pretty silent on some of my worst albums. Big plus.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

The MLB is still cheaper than the MLA in the UK

I am looking for a cheap MM to fit in a Rega RB300 arm

8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think my 440MLA is nearing it's end, was going to pick up a MLB stylus to replace my worn one. Is there anything from JICO or something that would be good to consider instead of the stock MLB replacement stylus ?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  9. Licorice pizza

The MLB replacement sounds pretty damn good, Opeth. It's a Microline cut, beautiful to behold under my strong loupe. I've read other threads concerning JICO, Shibata and Microline cuts and basically they're the same thing under a different name. I'll let you in on a little secret: I just purchased an AT440mlb replacement stylus for $89 at B&H Photo online...free shipping. :)

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I just saw this too, that's why I was asking haha. thanks !

11. Licorice pizza

Lol! Anything to help out a fellow audio enthusiast. Btw, their service is top of the line and it ships super fast (standard shipping) in a big carton with lots of bubble wrap. :thumbsup:

Opeth likes this.
  12. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that, when a new stylus breaks in and the suspension settles, the angle of the stylus changes much like lowering the base of the tonearm. The effect tames the upper end with it.

I really enjoy my 440 cart. It's mellow sounding now that I've owned it for a few years.

Heckto35 and Licorice pizza like this.
  13. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

May I ask you?? How long did your stylus last?? I am thinking it maybe time to replace but I may have to go for the (b) cartridge.

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I bought it on sept 15 2015, I swap between it and a 2m blue and rarely a m97xe. I always had a hard time deciding if I liked the 2m blue or the 440 more. Recently I really started to lean towards the 2m blue but then I realized I have put a ton of hours on the 440. The 2m blue was a gift from my mom cuz she's a badass so I am trying to make it last. I started to think maybe the 440 is wearing rapidly and losing some fidelity which is making me lean towards the 2m blue as far as preference. This was the driving factor to order the 440 replacement stylus now I can swap out the original and compare. $89 for the 440MLB was a no brainer and I will report back.

If I had to guess I have 800 hours on the 440MLA easily.

15. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Yes that's a great deal.
    Well, it looks like I may have to get it in a couple of weeks. I have had mine almost two years and definitely over the 800 hour mark.

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I've seen reports that some don't make it much past 800, I do not know the usage scenarios though. 99% of my vinyl playback is spotless and VG++ at worse. I would hope I could get more like 1500 hours but that doesn't seem rational either. $89 a year is not bad for me ! I just wish I could get a 2m blue replacement for the same :)

17. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

was about to report the atn440mlb deal from bhphoto audio but seems that everyone is well informed already. still happy with my at440ml not a or b, but i can't let replacement stylus deal go while it is cheap. lesson learned from my shure v15 IV, now JICO SAS stylus is too expensive.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  18. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

You'll find that the brightness will settle as it wears in. Don't know how many hours yours has done, but brightness will start to settle a bit at 30-40 hours and the cartridge will wear in by about 90-100 hours.

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

they really havent for me, but I add a new power amp and pre. wynton marsalis is a louuud on standard vol 2. great record. It tracks well, but seems a little unbalanced because those highs are high and lows seem a touch muddy not competely muddy but just not as tight as the highs. I actually enjoyed the more punchyness of the ort red. But that ort red didnt have the fidelity. The MLb feels like it almost takes you there on some records and leaves you wanting and some others its really quite adequate. I'm looking to hit the ort Black and stop messing around.

20. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Check out the AT 150mlx before deciding on the Black.

david zepeda likes this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'm trying to decide between the A and B myself. LPGear.com still sells both, they describe the B as bright, and A as balanced with a nice bass. Leaning towards A, although it's a bit more money.

22. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Just bought a spare today as dealer advised the AT440 is no more & new replacement due in 2017

I've seen reports that some don't make it much past 800, I do not know the usage scenarios though. 99% of my vinyl playback is spotless and VG++ at worse. I would hope I could get more like 1500 hours but that doesn't seem rational either

1500 Hrs or more from my last one but do use a RCM

23. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

ive a got a b with not even a year on it. Look to trade up. its bright, but tameable. would hate to have subdued. I might try the 150 but with a clearaudio I am not completely sure.

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Even though the advice was not for me - I checked it out, too, along with the 150sA. Seems these two best the 2M Black incrementally, but at roughly half the price! I'm tempted now - I have a cartridge in mind to go with the Pioneer PLX-1000, which is likely to be my next buy. I might even skip the 440 altogether and go straight for the 150sA.

25. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

cant find a mlx. lots of sa's but no mlx's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.