How exactly did Anthrax end up in the big four of Thrash?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_TagoMago, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I don't mean to dismiss the band as I like some of there stuff a lot and probably prefer them to Metallica and Slayer, but the reason I ask is because well it's no secret they aren't nearly as well received as the other 3. I don't think I've seen more than 2 people call Anthrax their favorite Thrash band. Just seems weird they got a spot in the big four instead of Overkill, Exodus, or Metal Church.

Purple, MHS3, James Addiction and 9 others like this.
  2. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

$$$$$$$$. They along with the other three have sold the most records in the thrash category. Plus they are really good songwriters, despite some of the members being douche bags to their fan base. As much as I love Overkill and Exodus, I consider them the McDonalds of thrash metal, quick, easy and cheap. Their songs don't really stick in my head as much as anything from the big four, IMHO. I really wish Sacred Reich stuck around, they could have really pumped out some good stuff during the grunge days.

3. Mr_TagoMago

I know they sold the most along with the others but I meant how did they get that big in the first place. I don't think Exodus are as good as fans make them out to be but thrashers certainly tend to hold them in higher light than Anthrax.

That said I thought Metallica and Slayer were the fast food of Thrash tbh.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

They were the only ones from the East Coast, they were a little more punk influenced, the album covers were pretty cool, they weren't so unrelentingly dark like the West Coast bands were.

5. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Just because they're very popular it doesn't make Metallica and Slayer's 80's records cheap fast food music. *SMDH*

6. Mr_TagoMago

I never said that. My two favorite metal bands are Black Sabbath and Judas Priest so why would I look down on Metallica and Slayer for being popular?

Also is that Yellow Submarine from the greatest of all video games?

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

A bit more accessible & not going for an "evil" image. Maybe a bit dorky, I still have the "I'm the Man" 12", but Persistence of Time is a great album

8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'll take Bonded by Blood over anything Anthrax ever did.
    [​IMG]

9. Mr_TagoMago

I still don't know if that's the worst album cover ever or the best.

Rukiki, MrGrumpy, AndydD and 11 others like this.
  10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've only ever known one person IRL who was big into Thrash and for him it was a Big Two: Metallica & Anthrax. I wasn't personally that keen on Anthrax but they had an edge that was certainly lacking in Metallica, and there were associated acts such as Stormtroopers Of Death that probably made them more 'seminal' than 'popular'.

If you want a reason for Anthrax's continued prominence in the genre, though, look no further than Wikipedia, which cites the Clash Of The Titans tour (Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth) as 'the genre's pinnacle': there's three of your four right there.

tkl7 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I will say this for them, they really throw down on Among the Living. That record is fierce.

12. Mr_TagoMago

How do you think it holds against Bonded by blood?

13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I like Bonded better but Among is a tight record. They are both cool thrash records from the 80's.

piepants likes this.
  14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Yes I just love it.

squittolo and Clanceman like this.
  15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Whats not to love :)

squittolo likes this.
  16. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

I think it's just about luck and timing - if Exodus could've got BBB out earlier maybe things would've been different. I saw Anthrax at the end of last year and they were very good - it's not easy supporting Slayer. At the end of the set Scott Ian was handed a baby (a real one) and then he started telling us how f--king great the new record was gonna be - was that very metal or just a bit odd?

ianuaditis, Clanceman and BrentR79 like this.
  17. This is what I was thinking. IIRC, it took them so long to get that album out that they came off like a second-wave band.

Purple and supernaut like this.
  18. Mr_TagoMago

Pretty sad considering they're the oldest of the popular Thrash bands. Why did it take them so long to get an album out?

supernaut likes this.
  19. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly. Very Mengele.

On the other hand, as far as Anthrax goes, I think Persistence of Time is absolutely brilliant. It would have been the best of 1990 were it not for Rust in Peace. :cool:

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I really like Overkill and I think they had as good as run, and still do, of all these thrash bands. They are the one I'm not sure why they really haven't been included as a big 4 band. I also think Testament is very underrated here also.

I think it is an east coast thing. Remember they were from the mecca NYC. That couldn't have hurt them. They toured with Metallica in the early years. They toured with Exodus, Metal Church and Overkill. Also, remember that collaboration with Public Enemy Bring The Noise in 1991. They really were the first thrash group to incorporate that sound into their music. Now, I know that doesn't explain the initial big four reasoning. Though, their run of Spreading, Among the Living, State of Euphoria, Persistence of Time and Sound of White Noise is pretty impressive. I like Fistful of Metal but not like the others mentioned here. It is a good question and actually hard to answer. I'm sure promotion had something to do with it.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They made a couple of really good records. "Spreading the Disease" and "Among The Living" are classics. While I personally thought "State of Euphoria" sucked they came back strong with "Persistence of Time". I dunno....I could name some other groups who could have been number 4 but I think Anthrax is deserving, they maintained the higher profile, though they never should have gotten rid of Joey.

My not-quite-as-big-four would be Exodus, Overkill, Sacred Reich, and Testament.

22. I think it was a combination of lineup changes delaying the recording of the album in the first place, and then butting heads with their label over that cheesy-nasty cover art.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  23. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

have you heard load and reload ?

tedhead likes this.
  24. Mr_TagoMago

I'd say Coma of Souls was better than Rust in peace tbh.

I read that originally they were going to call the album A lesson in Violence but couldn't think of a cover to fit that title.

supernaut likes this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.