How good is the Marantz 7c?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sushimaster, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just how good is the Marantz 7c (in good working order) in terms of sound quality compared to modern tube preamps? Not in terms of collectibility or resale value.
    If I sold my Conrad Johnson Premiere 17LS and bought this vintage preamp, will it be a downgrade? Lateral move perhaps? Maybe better?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

The trouble is you can't really ignore the collectibility issue with the Marantz now. In stock restored form, I doubt it could compete with the CJ 17LS line stage, the CJ is really just a single stage composite triode, and the tube power rails are filtered only with quality film capacitors, no electrolytic capacitors except on the heater supply, one of the things that gives it such a nice and relaxed, but still very accurate and colorful presentation. And a carbon film potentiometer for the volume control will never sound nearly as good as just a couple Vishay resistors, like in the CJ. The Marantz does reportedly have a very nice midrange, and has also reportedly been dramatically improved with careful modifications in the past, especially regarding higher quality parts, but that comes back to the collectibility issue, no one would modify one now because I think the value would be drastically cut.

That said, I use my Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS2 daily and love it, and use a Premier 15 for phono stage, but there are those that think the golden age of CJ gear was back in the PV5 days. That would probably be a fun shootout, stock restored PV5 versus restored Marantz 7C.

Interesting to think about, and would be fun if I had the time and ambition to give it a try, but I'll stick with my Premier gear, at least for now :)

sushimaster likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

sushimaster likes this.
  4. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have some JAN Phillips ECG 6992 in my Premier 17LS. I left them in there after installing them because they seem reliable and stable.
    To me they seem very balanced. Not too bright, not too in your face, not too romantic and not too expensive either. I'm trying to see how long I can go without changing them.
    They have held up well for 3 years now.

I also have a Conrad Johnson PV10B in the bedroom utilizing a pair of RCA 12AU7's.
    I did a brief side by side between the 17LS and the Pv10B, and I recall I liked the 17LS a lot more.
    I feel like the 17LS had a better soundstage, better at separating instruments, I can easily hear more detail through it. Overall it sounded way more open and refined like a 5 X distilled Vodka vs a 2X distilled.

Briefly had a CJ PV6 that I bought and returned on eBay because the seller didn't disclose a dent in the faceplate. I remember not liking the sound of that one. I didn't sound very resolving, but then again it could have been the tubes or maybe it needed some restoration.

Conrad Johnson offers upgrades for both my preamps, the 10B to 10B Enhanced Triode model, and 17LS to 17LS Series 2.
    I been debating weather I should pursue upgrading my CJ preamps or sell them both and get an ACT2. I have also been intrigued by the Marantz 7C because of its legendary status.

5. Dang. Amateur

Dang. Amateur Forum Resident

I'm blessed to not be haunted by things I've done--well, not too much--maybe Casper the friendly ghost haunted--but I am haunted by some of the audio gear I've sold: coming immediately to mind are the two TD124's, one with a Grado wooden arm and Ortofon cartridge; the KLH Model 8; the Dynaco Mark IV's; the Scott D130 preamp; the Jensen G610; the Fisher mono preamps; the Fisher mono tube phono preamp--actually gave that away; but mostly the Marantz 7C. I had one briefly in the mid 70's. The instant I turned it on I knew I'd never heard anything like it, but I had heard so little at the time I did not know which end of the pool I had fallen into. Sold it to John Fong, may he rest in peace, who was advertising for them then in the classifieds of Audio Amateur Magazine. Nice guy; he told me I shouldn't sell it to him. He was right, of course. The thing is, I know there are later preamps at semi reasonable prices that are probably better, and it would be a boon to know whether my Conrad-Johnson PV9, with which I am well satisfied, is one of them. During our conversation John told me that the discipline with the Marantz 7c at that time was to get rid of the selenium; the consensus was that would bring it up, almost, to the Audio Research 3a. Crediting that opinion, it seems obvious there would be other equal or better preamp candidates, below celestial pricing, that is, stratospheric spending being of no interest to me. If anyone knows of a face off between the 7c and the PV9 or similar, or has even read informed conversation on the subject, I would enjoy hearing about it.

crooner likes this.
  6. Dang. Amateur

Dang. Amateur Forum Resident

+ Garrard 301 Aargh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.