How Good Was Levon Helm as a Drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Umbari, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Helm was actually a pretty “busy” drummer and quite technical, but it always sounded so natural and perfect and easy. Mark of a great drummer.

Umbari, bonus, Hey Vinyl Man and 3 others like this.
  2. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Perfect drummer.

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

In the category of "Best Rock Drummer", I always have him in my top five.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

He made The Band. To me, regardless of the talents of Robertson or Manuel (in particular), take away Levon, and the band becomes 50% less interesting.

Absolutely one of the finest drummers and singers of all time.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

he was a pretty awesome person in general, but indeed a great drummer

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

As long as you didn't mention a guy Levon used to play with with the initials "R.R.", you'd be good to go!:p

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Not sure that Randy Rhoads has any place in this discussion

Fender Relic likes this.
  8. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Levon was a ridiculously amazing drummer. It’s like his groove marinated for years - tender, sophisticated, complex. Guys would kill for that groove.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Randy Rhoads and Levon Helm- now that would have been an interesting combination!:laugh:

Meant Robbie Robertson, of course, but I'm sure you knew that...

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He was great. He was a back beat drummer, who could swing and play second line. He could sing and play stringed instruments, a triple threat.

It was a big loss when he passed.

11. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Notice Eric's guitar strap comes undone a little after one minute. Robbie sees it and steps in until Eric gets his strap right. Pretty slick.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  12. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Great feel, great groove, great dynamics, great support to the songs. Plus singing! Fantastic and a hero of mine as a singing drummer! He grew up on early rock and roll and that swing is irreplaceable.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Exactly, the right guy in the right band

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Levon was my favourite thing about the band

Umbari, dalem5467, Geir and 2 others like this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Just listen to his stellar playing on Life Is A Carnival, nuff said!

Umbari, Mr-Beagle and Fender Relic like this.
  16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Perhaps more than the majority of drummers, Levon was musical. His abilities leant sympathy in his playing that complimented the music. He was never overbearing.

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love his drumming. Funky, soulful, laid back, among other superlatives. He could've done any number of projects (as he did once in awhile) and fit in perfectly.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  18. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member Thread Starter

The coolest drummer ever!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I was thinking about this sort of thing yesterday when I was reading some old "versus" thread about individual musicians.

If the question were, say, "Keith Moon vs. Levon Helm," the only reasonable answer in my opinion is that the question is like, say, "pepperoni vs. milk." Pepperoni is my answer if we're talking about a pizza. Milk if we're talking about a bowl of cereal. I'll pass on milk for my pizza, and I'll pass on pepperoni for my cereal. So each thing is just right for its context.

That made me start thinking about this, though: it's really remarkable how often just the right set of musicians have wound up together, so that you get artists like the Who and the Band. If the Who wouldn't have found Keith Moon, they wouldn't have been anywhere near the same band. Likewise with Helm and the Band. And of course the same thing goes for the rest of the band members in those particular situations.

Now, to an extent we can figure that it's a factor of the band evolving to suit the particular collection of musicians available, but I don't think it's only that. Some people just won't mesh very well, some individual musical styles never gel. I doubt that Pete Townshend would have flourished as he did if he had tried to make it work with Phil Rudd as a drummer, Tom Hamilton as a bassist, and Lou Reed as his lead vocalist. My suspicion is that a band made up of those four guys would have probably clashed in (more or less) every direction, would have probably never evolved to gel anywhere near what happened with those musicians in other contexts.

I know this as a musician myself, too. There are some situations where it's always a bit of a trainwreck and you know it just isn't going to work out trying to force some people to fit into the puzzle. It's just not the right combination of players. But sometimes it's almost like fate intervening where you find the perfect partners in crime.

And of course we also see this play out in some collaborations and supergroups etc. that seem to be far less than the sum of their parts. You need the right combo of people working together.

But it really seems remarkable just how often not only players who fit well together end up in the same band, but just how often players who have a sort of "magic" together end up in the same band, so that you get the Beatles, and Stones, and Who, and Band, and Led Zeppelin, and Grateful Dead, and so on, and it's especially remarkable given that the right people are often found in the same geographical area. I would think that it would be a lot more rare than it is.

Horse Brunsby, lbangs, Crungy and 6 others like this.
  20. Umbari

I prefer the one from Rock of Ages :cheers:

21. Umbari

Keltner was influenced by Levon. Never heard of that before. Thanks.

Awesome!! :love::love:

He's the best at "singing and drumming at the same time" :righton:

ohnothimagen likes this.
  22. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Levon was great. Choked up on the sticks quite a bit, that had a lot to do with his swingin/shuffle presentation. I only wish they got a more live un-muted tone out of his drums, a bit to damped for me.

His playing on "The Shape I'm In" on The Last Waltz was some of his most aggressive and energetic I've heard, cool stuff.

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

He was the second best drummer in The Band ;)

I love how amused and animated Levon is on the Eagle Rock DVD.... The Making Of The Band....when he talks about Richard's drumming. You can tell he loved Richard as a brother as well as a fellow Band mate and musician.

24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Some Levon drumming trivia, he used traditional grip for most of his career, during the later part of his career he switched to match grip.

25. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I'd imagine that a big part is just the chemistry that develops when musicians (even beginners) who like each other and want to hang out (at least in early days :) ) develop a sound and repertoire together, which is why a "supergroup" that lives up to expectations is such a rare thing.

Horse Brunsby, bonus and guppy270 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.