How important are hype stickers to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

How important are hype stickers to you?

When you buy a new LP or CD that has a hype sticker, do you save it or throw it away?

Hype stickers are those stickers on the plastic wrap which promote or provide information about the album.

For the poll, "Unique" means a sticker that is specific to the album or artist, like the two examples below. "Generic" means a sticker that just says "Hybrid SACD" or "180 gram pressing" and is not specific to the album or artist.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

For the first time in my life, upon receiving the Quadrophenia Director's Cut box the other night, I opened just the end of the box removing the rectangular piece of shrinkwrap, and thereby keeping the rest intact. All stickers as well. Made In Germany, and the long black and white descriptive sticker on the front.
    Don't even know why really, just wanted to preserve the big, heavy box just as I received it.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always throw them away.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

In the trash bin, with the obis.

5. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

Throw em.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

And the slip cases :laugh:

7. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Just put a couple in the bin with the remains of shrink wrap, but I believe I may have saved a few in the past, for reasons unknown (most likely the same as with OBIs, I'm not good at throwing stuff away). However, important they most certainly aren't.

8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Well, let's put it this way. If I'm browsing in the bins and come across two copies of the same album, one in shrink and one not still in shrink, assuming the mastering, condition and price are preferable (this takes priority for me) I will choose the one in shrink.

If I purchase a new album with hype stickers, I either keep the shrink on, or if it's a record that needs to have the shrink removed, like a triple gatefold or something, then I'll just excise the shrink with the hype sticker and tuck it away inside the jacket. Why not have a complete package?

One album on which this was very important to me was Brand New's "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me". The sticker was an iconic part of the artwork for that album's original CD release, yet most people just threw it away on the record. I turned down and looked past many copies online till I found one that was complete. No way would I pay "ebay prices" for an item that is missing a significant part of the packaging it came with upon release.

Daytripn, audiotom and Hawklord like this.
  9. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I started saving them around 2001. I usually take apart the tray that the disc is in and place the sticker inside/over the back cover. I'm a bit miffed with myself that I did not start sooner. All of my Elvis Costello Rhino reissues have the stickers except for the first batch, I threw those ones out.

aussievinyl and jeffd7030 like this.
  10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I do keep them in my Filofax (yes, I still have a Filofax) What I do hate however are stickers that you can't get off and leave glue or rip the sleeve when trying to remove them.

11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Throwing away OBI's is a sin!!!

Daytripn, roverb, ODShowtime and 13 others like this.
  12. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I save the unique stickers. I cut around the sticker, leaving it on the cellophane with about a half inch border. I've been doing this since my album buying days in the 70s. I don't know, I think they're fun and they don't take up much room. Just throw them in with the booklet, or under the tray. Or inside the album sleeve, if it's vinyl.

If I buy something used and it still has the shrink wrap with a generic sticker it, I'll keep it if it's something "interesting" to me. For example, I'll keep a price sticker from some long forgotten store.

Yeah, I save too many things...

13. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

the-nice-price-bg[1].jpg I only keep this one cause it validates my own sense of happiness that I got a good deal:)

14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I voted usually throw them away, but now that I think about it, I actually keep them quite often. I try to keep the original shrink on my vinyl whenever possible, which means I'm keeping the hype stickers. There have been a few cases of gatefold records where I did keep the sticker.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like hype stickers. I pull them off and stick them on the record sleeve. They're empheria related to the time and the album. I love the pschedelic-styled stickers of the 70s.

Daytripn, Buddybud, John Adam and 2 others like this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

For people who like hype stickers, ever encounter this situation (I have!):

Your store has two copies of an LP or box set you want to buy. One of them has a banged-up corner. The other is fine, but for some reason it is missing the hype sticker! Which one to take home? :agree:

noyoucmon likes this.
  17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Usually toss'em unless they have some cool artwork. Like the original issue of the Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk has their logo. Kept that one in the shrink with sticker.

Sorry, should of mentioned "Vinyl".

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:yikes: I think I need medical attention!

noyoucmon likes this.
  19. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

^
    ^
    This

Daytripn and MrRom92 like this.
  20. Keep unique, chuck generic.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Wash your mouth out! :D

I don't know. If it is a plastic CD case, I think the outer wrap is fair game to be thrown away. Everything inside should be kept. If it is an LP or mini LP CD, then try to keep all but the opening sealed and perfect.

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

No hype sticker, no dice!

melstapler likes this.
  23. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I peel them off the shrinkwrap and stick them on the back of the CD case. For vinyl, I stick them on the plastic sleeve.

Thurenity likes this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i sell them on ebay for twice the price of the record.

25. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

That's what I do too.
    I started doing this in the 80's. So now when I pull out a 30 year old record it's neat to see that old sticker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.