How important are hype stickers to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

This is for a CD; If you keeping the sticker (with the information on the CD or box set) put under the clear CD tray. You can keep and keep it out of the way.:shh:

2. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I've been struggling with this myself. Not only hype stickers, but original shrinkwrap. I think it's a no brainer with 60's & 70's records to keep the shrinkwrap on. But 80's records from the dollar bin? Sometimes the shrinkwrap is torn and wrinkled, and would look so much better in my sleeve without shrinkwrap, but the collector in me says to keep it complete. Also the plain original inner sleeve, after I resleeve it. Please help me from this affliction, and tell me it's OK to throw it out. :)

groovelocked likes this.
  3. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

That's a nightmare scenario! I guess it depends on how intricate the sticker is compared to how nice the cover art is? I might either pass them both up for a stickered copy somewhere else, or buy them both if not too expensive. A package isn't complete for me without the sticker.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I keep mine. My wife will laugh at me as I carefully unwrap my discs. And save the advertising.

This forum makes me feel less crazy. :)

5. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Kindly ask the store manager to cut the promo sticker off the destroyed copy. I have made similar requests and found store receptive.

But having a good relationship with the store is important. It's why I don't mind spending a buck or two or five more at an indy shop. Relationship = important.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I toss em.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Shrink wrap on common 80's pressings is of no value (unless there is some sticker adhered to the shrink). Definitely toss it if you don't like it.

Original plain white paper inner sleeves also can be tossed and replaced. Collectors seem to have no interest in making sure their copy has the "original" paper sleeve if it is a generic white.

Rob9874 likes this.
  8. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I always use to throw them out in the '7os and 80s.

Since I started buying records again last year I now save them.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Some do care, some don't. I do. I'll raid wrecked LPs to get the right ones.

Giorgio likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am the same way. I also match up original CD cases. But, we're in a very, very small minority that's not big enough to influence market prices. At least, that's my experience as a seller.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I always tossed 'em as a teenager, but after befriending another (much more obsessive) music collector/fan in my 20's, I started saving most of them (actual non-generic hype stickers - not just things that say "best buy" or "nice price").

12. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

+1

13. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

In the 80's i became quite the expert of removing stickers off of record covers , didn't have the luxury of shrink wrapped
    records here in Australia (WA at least) . Used to flip through dozens of the same title trying to find a cover without a
    sticker covering up the band , stickers top right or left hand corner were like gold . Hated them then , nothings changed .

14. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

A whole theme! I kept them, along with obis. I like to see them there on the package. Most of my collection of vinyls and cds have a sticker. I collect Japanese cds and many have interesting stickers and great obis. They remind me a particular circumstance that are part of the context and the time when the album appeared.
    In a way it is a compulsion or an obsession ... all collectors ultimately have some of both.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Same with the early CD cases too. You have to hype the fact that the item you sell has the original bits like inner sleeves. I've talked with a few people who do the same thing and the consensus is in some cases it does affect the price. Even little things like the fan club inserts or merchandise order forms still tipped inside an album.

16. The REAL question is which is more important, hype-stickers? - or Obi strips?

17. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

if unique cut out and slip in sleeve

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I almost always throw them away. The only ones I've kept are ones from three recent Rhino LP reissues because they were clever.

19. I cut them out and keep them inside the outer protective sleeve.

forthlin likes this.
  20. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I'm not alone. I'm not alone. I may be slightly less crazy than I thought I was. This forum Rocks!

Eric_Generic and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Depends if leaving it on will damage the artwork. I like to keep my vinyl in its shrink wrap and if the stickers are on the shrink then I will leave them and just remove the price stickers.

22. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Occasionally, I have pulled the sticker off of the shrink wrap and stuck it onto the jewel case after unpacking.

However, most of the stickers I've come across ended up in the bin, together with the wrap.

I cannot name what a sticker needs to have written on it so I would want to keep it.

Maybe a look onto the stack of CDs near the player helps answering the question?
    There is one CD which has a sticker that says "Wesley Stace, the artist formerly known as John Wesley Harding". I think I have kept that because it's also true the other way around. I think I kept the huge sticker from "Grow Younger, Live Longer" by Deepak Chopra & Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics fame), too, but I cannot tell what it says at this point without actually having to look it up.

Also, sometimes a "nice price" sticker proves to be a good addition to the album cover, making it look more interesting:
    The white exclamation mark with black contours on a yellow surface, the Warner Bros "nice price" sticker, looks really cool next to the "Big Loo" robot on the cover of Los Lobos' "Colossal Head". On of John Hiatt's black & white cover pictures looks great with that colorful "nice price" sticker from Polydor attached to it. Sony's "nice price" series used to have red trays to its jewelcases back in the early 90s whereas the standard pricing had the standard dark grey ones. ELO's "Balance Of Power" looks really neat with the red tray because the color is tone in tone with the background of the cover.

So the vote is for a definite "sometimes".

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

That's like throwing away a hardcover book's dust jacket. Why do it!?

Daytripn and danielbravo like this.
  24. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

If the shrinkwrap is soiled or ripped it's okay to throw it away.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I keep everything, every single piece that comes with the record, stickers, obis, jcards (I usually remove the shirnk to prevent damage/wave in a vinyl) but I even try to keep the shirnk.
    the idea is have the item in the nearest condition possible... like at the 1st day that comes out the store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.