How long has Frankie Valli been lip synching his concerts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Slattery, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

The funny thing is, I love the way Roger sounded on the small concerts and benefits he did a few years back. I wish he'd do more of that -- sing the songs his current voice can do -- but I appreciate the fact that he's finally being upfront about some of his lip-synching, at least (he's been doing it since at least 1984, maybe even earlier).

As for Frankie Valli, I'm sure he keeps performing because he enjoys the energy and adulation of his fans. Gotta say, though, that the footage I saw on YouTube made me think of the nightmarish "You're the birthday boy or girl" animatronics from the Simpsons:

At a certain point, you (i.e. aging performers) should just be who you are right now, even if it's diminished. Old, weathered voices can be very moving, though they seldom bring the big bucks.

But there's bravery in taking a stand against the eternal-youth fantasy we're all being sold, day after day -- a toxic falsehood that's the real lie underpinning all this.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm not aware of Roger Waters ever admitting to miming lead vocal during a concert. He referenced him singing along to 1980 audio/video recording of him doing Mother on the Wall Live tour. I found a similar intro speech from Nashville on that tour.

YouTube

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

YouTube

For those wondering how some acts mix live vocals with backing tape should watch this clip with errors at the 1:00, 1:13 and 2:07 time marks. Skye Ferreira was recording at the time and a bit rusty for this one-off before Blondie/Garbage at the Hollywood Bowl.

4. darling

darling Senior Member

Somebody mixed together a few versions of Sherry - they all synchronize perfectly. I bet the latest one does too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.