How many of you stay for the end credits in the theater?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by evillouie, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

How many others here on the Forum stay for all of the end credits when you go to a movie, and why?

For me, there are a lot of reasons. It's a way of decompressing and reflecting on the movie I just saw, and they usually play some great music while the credits roll by. Plus there's always the chance of seeing a brief scene tagged on after the credits are done. And, it's something to do while waiting for the crowds to clear out after they jump out of their seats and stampede for the exits within a microsecond of the movie ending! :D:D:D

And speaking of which, sometimes I wish some of my old favorites actually DID have end credits. A couple of years back I saw the original Planet Of The Apes movie in the theater, and it made me think of how much better it would be if the credits played out longer, with just the sound of the ocean, continued from the final scene, in the background. It would certainly be more chilling, at least. As it is, the credits last about 10 seconds, which sort of makes for a cheap and abrupt ending to a great movie.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Do tell...

2. Only for Marvel movies.

Murph, The Hud, jon9091 and 1 other person like this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nope - we are first out - sorry little people.

John B Good and Ghostworld like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Only if I know there'll be bonus bits during/after the credits.

"RunPee" tells you that info, so I know when to stay and when to go!

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I stick around for MCU movies and anything else that I really like out just to see the # of people involved in making it.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Haven't been to a theater in 6 years, but yes, I stayed until the house lights came up.

Jimmy B., carrick doone and EdgardV like this.
  7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

We stay for all the reasons that the OP outlined. Also, as my girlfriend has reduced mobility, so it's easier for us to leave once the theater has emptied out. There is nobody behind us pressuring her to hurry up.

Having said that, I also realize that I will watch the credits on most DVDs and Blu Rays too. While I don't necessarily read every credit, I will often wait for the song credits to see who performed the music. Those song credits are usually near the end of the credit roll.

Dennis Metz, EdgardV and longdist01 like this.
  8. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Absolutely always.

9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I almost always stay for the credits. For most films, I am curious to see the full cast credits, where it was filmed, and the music credits.

10. arley

arley Forum Resident

Agree with brownie61. Plus, occasionally there is a twist at the end of the credits. (SPOILER ALERT) In Young Sherlock Holmes, after the credits are completely done, there is a little scene with the once-and-future villain:

ds58 and longdist01 like this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Only if I know there's something at the end or middle.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I had always tried to stay for the soundtrack information at least, which is nearly always the tail-end of the credit roll anyway, and kept this up through years of wedded bliss, as well. However, we adopted a new friend, maybe 10 years younger, who was a constant companion when we saw films in theater. Yet he upset the apple cart by hopping-up once the credits started rolling (particularly awkward since he preferred the seat directly under the projection window), and, having read-up on just about every film he sees, never felt the need to sit through the credit parade on principle.

Particularly galling since he and I are the two "music heads" in the relationship, and sometimes I just could not believe he would be suiting-up for the outdoors and wandering out to the hallway while some of the most enjoyable music would be playing, be it score, or pop song or something even more heady - just like he couldn't be bothered! Knowing he's a bit of an obsessive type, and we've not brought it up for so long, it seems pointless to strain our relationship with it now. But, here we are in a thread dealing with the exact same subject, and I would be grateful for any of you empathetic types who somehow still find a home on a music fan web community, who could explain this to me.

I don't really see a need to immerse myself in a screen-wide, 6-column list of foreign names of people - none of whom are my grandkids - whose company got contracted to provide CGI services for special effects depicting the trolls and elves on the empty green-screen set shot faithfully by the good folks of Unit 4. It's just that, well, if I had a good time at the movies, and running out wouldn't get the dog fed back home any earlier anyway, what's the point of leaving a comfortable seat I already paid for?

And, who knows, Nick Fury may just pop-in to remind the crew of Rogue One, they have a destiny, Earth needs them - oh, and sorry, he's not supposed to be in this franchise, bring on Howard The Duck for a quirky cross-promotional continuity bit.

John B Good and Ghostworld like this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

This obviously bugs you to some degree, so why not just let him wait for you in the lobby or outside if it’s nice weather/let him look at the upcoming movie posters in the lobby/use the men’s room/check his messages while you wait for the music credits that you want to see? When I have company at the movies, most people I go with like to watch the credits. I do have one person I go with sometimes who doesn’t like the credits, and if I want to watch them, I tell her so and she does one of the things I suggested above while she waits for me. It’s only a few minutes, what’s the big deal? No one has ever complained to me about having to wait for me until the credits are over.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Of course we did. He usually had to make a pit stop in the lobby anyway. But our post-movie discussions were often the best part of the evening, so we wouldn't try to keep him waiting too long. Aside from overall respect for the filmmakers, they're not all worth giving up a good conversation, just so you can watch words crawl up a huge screen. For his impatience, he's usually pretty accommodating...but his need to use the facilities isn't just a routine thing, it's medical-related. :shh:

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've stayed to watch 100% of the end credits in films since I was 8 or 9 years old. I'm like Woody Allen in Annie Hall: I can't walk into the theater late if the movie has already started. It's the whole thing or nothin'.

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Always. Right to the end to get the full movie experience.

When I saw "Yesterday" recently the whole theatre emptied during the credits while one woman and I stayed and watched them and sang along to the song that played as they rolled; great moment for us.

Tanx, carrick doone, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I used to stay all the way but now I rarely do. My wife never likes staying through the credits and now I've grown out of the habit. I do miss it sometimes, it's fascinating to see the massive amount of people and professions involved in a big movie production. Also if it was a good score I like hearing the closing music.

I think the last time I made it through an entire closing credit sequence was during a theatrical reissue of "West Side Story" in 4K. I was NOT going to leave and miss Saul Bass' genius with Bernstein's music. Really almost nothing since can live up to that anyway.

dan c

18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Almost always. House lights on, folks sweeping the aisles with brooms giving me funny looks, I'm still reading the credits, with or without music.

19. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

always did...

21. Michael

me too! from the first second to the last...I want it all or nothing as well. : )

Larry Geller, longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  22. Michael

it doesn't bother you that you my be missing something?

23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Depends on the movie. If it's a Marvel fllm I always stay. Also any of the Star Wars films ( to hear John Williams ' closing suite.) I stayed through the credits on Rocket Man recently. Usually if I like a certain film I'll stay until the end or at least through the cast credits. If it's a movie I don't like I'm usually first out the door.

24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have never stayed through the credits. As soon as they start, I leave.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Almost always, unless my bladder is fit to burst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.