How Many Rolling $tones CDs...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

For those of you who plan to purchase the new ABKCO discs, how many and which ones do you plan to purchase?

2. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Probably the two "Hot Rocks" sets to start with, then (probably) slowly purchase the rest down the road.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, *in time*, I'd say most/all. However, I'm only going to pick up a couple on the first day. Probably More Hot Rocks (to check out the bonus tracks and see what versions/mixes they used for the rest of the stuff), Beggar's Banquet (if the sampler is any indication, it should sound a *lot* better than previous CDs), and maybe 12x5 (for all of the 5 by 5 tracks in stereo). I was originally thinking about getting Hot Rocks right away, but most of that disc is on the sampler CD anyway, so I'm in no hurry now to get it.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I agree with Luke, eventually all but I'll probably start with Beggar's Banquit, Let it Bleed, & possibly Hot Rocks/More Hot Rocks.
    then again I might just say screw it and start with the first one.
    :)

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I already received "Banquet", "Buttons", "Out of Our Heads", "Big Hits" and "Aftermath" for review purposes, so for my individual purposes I'm getting all the rest EXCEPT:

-"Heads", "Aftermath", and "Buttons" US
    "Hot Rocks"
    "Through the Past"
    "Got Live"
    "Flowers"

I think this will mean I'll be missing a few songs, but screw it - that handful of tracks isn't worth the extra expense. (Not counting the live versions I'll lack without "Got Live" - just can't imagine that loser will EVER be worth a purchase...)

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm sure eventually I'll get all of them. But I'll be starting off with Get Your Ya-Ya's (please let this be better), Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet.

7. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

"Hot Rocks Vol I" & "Get Your Ya Ya's Out" first for comparisons of various tracks with existing CD released material (I don't own SACD yet). If the material sounds noticeably better on the CD layer than the previously released versions I already own, then I'll buy more and eventually :rolleyes: pop for SACD when I find a player that meets my 3 tiered criteria for 1)sound [soundstage depth, inner detail, etc.], 2) budget [hardware cost] and 3) aesthetics.

Cat

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

High Tide and Green Grass and Through The Past, but not until they come out in jewel cases!

I can wait... :D

9. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but as of now, is the release date the 27th of August here in the US correct?

Oh, and add 12x5 to my initial purchase!

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

My first round is Beggars, Let it Bleed, Get your Ya-Yas Out (the best stones live album in my mind) and the Singles Collection. I know I will eventually get most all but if I can save my money on the greatest hits packages without missing out on anything I'll avoid them and for "got live if you want it" the answer is I don't want it (not that one).

The two hot rocks are a question for me though. HR1 was my first Stones record I got as a kid that collection has (as I'm sure it dose with many) a feeling as though it should be together I guess because I listened to it so much. Then there are the bonus tracks on More HR that make that interesting.

My big question is since the Singles will be mostly mono and I would tend to stay with the UK versions of the albums what great stereo tracks would I be missing out on? Maybe I do need to pick up those greatest hits.

11. Hypothetically, I'd grab TSMR, Aftermath UK, Buttons UK, More Hot Rocks. Second wave would be Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Hot Rocks. I say hypothetically because there is still no indication as to whether Universal Canada will be releasing these CDs:
    a.) domestically
    b.) as expensive U.S. imports
    c.) not at all

Universal Canada lost the domestic rights to the Rolling Stones ABKCO catalogue about 2 years ago. They been bringing in the old titles as expensive U.S. imports.

The major CD retail chains I've spoken to (A+B Sound, HMV) have no idea what I'm talking about. The other day a young kid dragged me over to the Stones section and pointed to the old Aftermath saying, "Look it's remastered." Yeah sure. Going into record shops these days and trying to get information from the very young staff there, is like staring into the eyes of a chicken.

Also, everyone has been talking about these releases being digipaks. Looking at the close up photos on bestbuy's Web site, they look more to me like the hard cardboard/paper/mini-LP sleeves used for the King Crimson, Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, and XTC remasters series.

Cheers.

Mike Richards

12. Matt

Matt New Member

I've got it narrowed to 11 SACD's that I'd have any interest in. None of the live albums, the Singles Collection and both Hot Rocks compilations but none of the Big Hits compilations, except for the first three SACD's, I wouldn't get any US only albums, no Their Majesty's..., and no Metamorphosis.

From the 11 I'm left with, I'd probably pick up Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed first, then wait on the rest. I'm a little uncertain about Aftermath and Between the Buttons just because I have the MFSL mastered CD's (thanks, Scott). It would be great to have them on SACD, but if they do a lot of mucking with them, I might not get them.

13. rudy

rudy Forum Resident

I'm buying Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet first. I bought the vinyl in high school, the cassette tapes to play in my car before I ever bought a recording deck, and the redbook cds when I bought my first CD player. I can't mess with tradition.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not familiar with those, but these definitely aren't "mini-LP" style releases. Unless I'm confused about what digipaks are, these are definitely digipaks. My earliest encounter with that format came from the first two U2 albums and "Blood Red Sky" in the mid-Eighties, and the Stones SACDs use very similar packaging...

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, they are digipaks. The promo sampler is a digipak, and the PR kit includes photos of a few releases, which are all digipaks.

16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I plan to get The Singles Collection. I guess this is in digipacks, too?

Big Hits & Through the Past,

and Aftermath UK (is Mother's Little Helper in stereo on this CD?)

Thanks

Brian

17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Pre ordered HR-I , Ya Ya's and Beggar's B. See where it goes from there.

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have pre-ordered 8 titles:

Singles box (for mono versions)
    Out of our heads UK
    Aftermath UK
    Between the Buttons UK
    Beggars Banquet
    Through the Past Darkly (for stereo versions)
    Let it Bleed
    Get Yer Ya Yas Out

BC

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Since I will get them all eventually I might as well get them now while they're on sale. So the answer is all of 'em.

I saw that J&R added a buck to their original price of $11.99.

Mud-

20. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I have pre-ordered these titles:

Aftermath US
    Aftermath UK
    Beggars Banquet
    Let it Bleed
    Out of Our Heads
    December's Children
    Metamorphasis

I may or my not get more. if I do, it'll probably be the live ones and maybe one or both of the Hot Rocks.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

#1 The Singles Collection
    #2 Hot Rocks
    #3 Beggar's Banquet
    #4 Let It Bleed

#5 anything else that may catch my fancy.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:laugh: That is my experience in Best Buy. These days a collector has to do their own homework. I miss the days of the mom & pop store where the clerks were knowledgable about the music and records because they were usually fans themselves.

The only thing i'm wondering is, will I have to look all over town for these titles if I don't do the mail-order thing?

23. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Grant, Best Buy has these for $12.99 for the single cds and comparable prices for the doubles & singles collection.

I was gonna buy 'em online but even with the sales tax it will be cheaper at Best Buy.

Mud-

I agree about the sales staff at ANY of these stores these days. They have NO idea what you are talking about plus if it's not NEW music it isn't on the shelves until Thursday or Friday. I buy 99% of my stuff online these days.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

A girl asked a clerk in Best Buy for "You Can Leave Your Hat On". The clerk had no idea who it was by. Guessing that she wanted the Joe Cocker version, I led her to his section and pointed out the Capitol Greatest Hits CD. The clerk then asked me if I wanted a job there! It's a shame; you should have some knowledge of music to work in a place like Best Buy.

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm starting with these:

Let It Bleed
    Beggars Banquet
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
    Big Hits Vol 1 (High Tide and Green Grass)
    Big Hits Vol 2 (Through The Past Darkly)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.