How Many Rolling $tones CDs...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, from what I've heard, a lot of these suckers were made. They seem to have a good supply of them, since they are willing to send them out to anyone in the news media that asks.

It isn't really known if there are fewer copies of the sampler than some DCC titles or not. I haven't seen any hard numbers on how many were actually produced.

$500 is tempting, but I think I'll hang on to my copy. Now, maybe if I can get a second copy...:angel:

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I just placed an order for Aftermath and Between the Buttons, the UK versions. Of course I'd like to get all the hits too, but I still can't decide between the two Big Hits discs, Hot Rocks and the Singles Collection ...

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Jeff,

I suggest getting the Singles Collection (and you married folks can get the Hot Rocks collections :) )...

Todd

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Todd,

That is definitely the front runner, especially since I just sold my copy of the original edition on Half.com, and I love some of the oddities like the version of "Out of Time" that's on there, and "Who's Driving Your Plane" ...

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Amen, Brother!

Exactly! I refuse to buy digipaks, mini-LP jackets, or any other non-jewel box crap unless I have no choice.

I'll even wait until the record clubs get hold of something and release it with a jewel box, as happened with the 32 Jazz label reissues, and even a couple major titles, like Elvis Presley's THAT'S THE WAY IT IS box. (Unfortunately for jazz fans, the second wave of Impulse! and Verve remasters didn't come any other way except the digipak.)

And don't even get me started on those !@#$% Miles Davis boxes. I had to return a disc to Sony (who were very helpful) because one of my CDs arrived glued to its sleeve. And has anyone mentioned that none of the six CDs in the Miles Davis/John Coltrane set are numbered or titled? Six uniform black discs sporting the same red circle, devoid of information. It's a wonder they were inserted into the boxes correctly.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

That's incredible!! What were they thinking?? Another good reason I'm glad I got the Mosaic set...

Todd

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yesterday I received an email from Best Buy stating the Stones albums I ordered were now back ordered. Today, I received another email saying they weren't on back order but would be released on the 27th.

Have any of you received the same messages?

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I did.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

This married "folk" is buying 'em all. Is that okay?

:rolleyes:

Mud-

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Re: Amen, Brother!

Ron, the red circles are purposely positioned on each disc: one o'clock (disc one), two o'clock (disc two), etc.

11. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Me too.

12. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

I'm going to start with Beggars Banquet, Aftermath UK, Between the Buttons UK, Let it Bleed. and Ya's Ya's. These are all on pre-order through Amazon, but now I think I'll order a few more through Best Buy $12.99 and free shipping! Thanks for the info.

13. sw2442

sw2442 Member

My first time so be kind-

I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy. I decided to start with my two favorite 60's albums, Aftermath and Between the Buttons, U.K. versions only!!! The U.S. BtB always sounded wrong with "Let's Spend the Night Together", and "Ruby Tuesday." I think they ruined the flow of the album...and don't get me started on the U.S. Aftermath. They desroyed it here in `66. The U.S. version should be deleted everywhere in the world, forever!!! Anyaway, I also picking up Hot Rocks. After that, Satanic Majesties, Beggars Banquet, and More Hot Rocks. Then Got Live If You Want It (sorry...it was one of the first Stones albums I ever got. I bought it used.), Let It Bleed, and Metamorphosis will be my third purchase set.

14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

I've added "Beggars Banquet" and "Let it Bleed" to my Best Buy order.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Re: Re: Amen, Brother!

Good lord, that's ridiculous! That is way too subtle for simple information purposes. I thought there was a step missed in the screenprinting process or something.

I hate, HATE, HATE cutesy-poo CD graphics/packages, and they seem especially prevalent in jazz reissues. The Miles Davis boxes (with the lovely exception of the PLUGGED NICKEL box) are among the absolute worst examples of packaging overkill. They actually endanger rather than protect your discs, make the liner notes and track listings all but inaccessible, and are too fragile to boot.

Hey art directors: just stick 'em in a jewel box with track listings! I know you have a degree in commercial art; STOP trying to prove it with my CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.