How many times have you listened to the same song in a row? (records)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draden1, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just found myself listening to Aretha Franklin's version of You Send Me a bunch of times in a row as it kept giving my goosebumps. I'm not exactly sure how many times I got up to drop the stylus (6 or 7 probably) but it was a lot.

It got me wondering how many times (roughly) you've you listened to the same song in a row on a turntable as getting up to move the tonearm each time requires dedication.

And what was the song?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

The first non-children's record I owned was The Beach Boys, Shut Down Volume 2. I listed used to listen to "Don't Worry Baby" over and over and over, etc.!

Summerisle, lightbulb and draden1 like this.
  3. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Unfortunately I can't remember the exact number of times anymore, but back in 1978 my mate and I played Ca plane pour moi by Plastic Bertrand for some reason at least 10 times in a row. Furthermore, it was on cassette, so we had to rewind the tape between plays. How's that for dedication?

4. draden1

Not familiar with the song, might give it a quick spin on Youtube.

5. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i once read the John Steinbeck book East of Eden all while listening to the last three songs of Sticky Fingers over and over. A couple days of just Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers then Moonlight Mile. Rewind the tape, start again. I'm not sure why. It was a long time ago.

hi_watt and Crimson jon like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, the album I listened to the most times in a row was Damon Albarn & Michael Nyman's soundtrack to Ravenous. I saw the film on the Friday it was released. I loved the music (and the film for that matter). So I went straight to the record store in the mall where I saw the film and bought the soundtrack. I played it when I got home, and then I didn't take it out of the CD player until the next Tuesday or Wednesday. I just kept playing it over and over from that Friday afternoon. That's the one and only time I ever did anything like that. I played it at least 40 times in a row over the course of 5-6 days.

For a single song, Steely Dan's "Gaucho" might hold the record for me. Not sure how many times I've listened to it in a row, but I know there have been a couple times I've listened to it at least seven or eight times in a row. Again, that's highly unusual for me. I usually have an aversion to hearing something too often, but something about "Gaucho" makes me need to listen to it again . . .and again . . . etc.

I've been tempted to do that with other songs occasionally, but I've probably never done it with any other song or album more than three times in a row, and even twice in a row is rare for me. Curiously enough, one of the songs I've listened to a few times in a row was Keith Jarrett's "Long as You Know You're Living Yours", which is the tune "Gaucho" was inspired by.

onionmaster likes this.
  7. draden1

I can understand Steely Dan doing that to someone, there's normally quite a bit to listen to in their songs.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Once, while suffering under some 'side-effects' from whatever happened the night before, I played "Dirty White Boy" by Foreigner for almost four hours straight while waiting for the pub to open... That would make it at least 60 times.

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

In recent history I listened to the Mgmt song when you die a few times in a row. No actual reason why except I was happy to have a new song that sounds like old Mgmt.

I also listened to king gizzard featuring mild high club song dusk to dawn on lygon street three times in a row Friday night.

10. 15 times for this one, maybe? Definitely 30-40 times over 3-4 days (intermixed with a few other things) -- but probably 15 times right in a row the very first time I ever heard it, from a CD of the original album that I'd purchased and got in the mail about 10-12 years ago.

Curtis Mayfield - "Right On For The Darkness" (1973)

notesofachord likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

my wife and I went on vacation in Arizona a few years back. for whatever reason, I only had one song on my phone....Pretty Pimpin' by Kurt Vile. so we listened to that song, non stop, for a week. in the car. in the tent. in the hotel.

it was awesome.

adad, notesofachord and draden1 like this.
  12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

You might have mixed in Jet Boy, Jet Girl into the rotation a few times to provide a little variety.

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The first time I heard this song I proceeded to listen to nothing else for 2-3 days. However many times that was, it's definitely my record.

The Nashville Ramblers - "The Trains"

FF to 2:08

14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Imitation Of Life by REM - Probably 10 times in a row on the commute to work trying to change my mood.

15. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

When I finally got the track name for "Electric Feel" by MGMT I listened to it at least 30 times that night while writing a paper. I don't remember what the paper was about, probably due to the song being the true focal point of my night.

16. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

For me it's "Babylon Sisters". Sometimes I'll go at least 10 times in a row.

onionmaster and draden1 like this.
  17. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

“Let It Be” from the Beatles LP, COUNTLESS times as I attempted to align my cartridge and set the proper VTF to eliminate distortion on that track. Amazingly I’m not tired of the song, and loved it a little bit more each time a little bit more of the distortion disappeared.

Then after all the distortion was gone, I broke the cantilever, but that’s a different story...

18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

If we'd only had it, we probably would have... Or, what's even more likely, considering our youthful spirits and penchant to experimentation, I'd imagine we'd tried to synchronize the two and play both at the same time. The backing track's the same, isn't it?

19. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

The one that sticks out....back in 67 I played Omaha by Moby Grape a incredible amount of times in a row!!

20. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I remember playing 'Roadrunner' by Jonathan Richman over and over when I first bought it back in the day until my parents yelled up the stairs to put something else on for Pete's sake.

notesofachord and Joe Paul like this.
  21. draden1

LOL!

22. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I listened to 'Cold Stone' by the Pretty Things about a dozen times in a row trying to figure out what the hell Phil May was singing in first line of the third verse. It's been 40 odd years and I still don't know. I recently asked Wally Waller and he couldn't remember either.

adad and Horse Majeure like this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

“The answer, my friend
    Is blowin’ in the wind....”

24. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I'd say you are probably the winner by a country mile! Kudos to you! My meagre offering of 'As the World Falls down' by David Bowie 10 times in a row pales into insignificance methinks...

25. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

It was spring of 1984. I listened to borderline from madonna’s first album for over an hour. My roommate yelled up the stairs that there were other songs on the album. So I just played side one a few more times.

Summerisle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.