How many times have you listened to the same song in a row? (records)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draden1, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I got the Damned’s best-of album, I must’ve played “New Rose” about 20 times before moving on to the next song.

Not one song, but I played side 1 of the Feed Me With Your Kiss EP by My Bloody Valentine - fearturing the songs “Feed Me...” and “I Believe” - about a dozen times before flipping the disc.

hutlock and Summerisle like this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Three records I always have to play twice:

Mr. Shoemaker's Daughter ~ the Kinks/Dave Davies

Light Flight ~ Pentangle

Memphis Tennessee ~ Buck Owens version

notesofachord and Summerisle like this.
  3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

This might very well be my crowning achievment ;)

draden1 and When In Rome like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I remember playing You Better You Bet about five times in a row when I first got Face Dances.

But I bet I played Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers more than that!

5. John54

John54 Senior Member

I used to do that quite a lot when I was young, but in recent years I almost never listen to a song more than twice in a row and rarely that.

The only song I remember doing it with offhand is Have You Heard by the Moody Blues, maybe 8-10 times. And since that's in two parts already, it means getting up to lift the tonearm twice for every listen, which is real dedication ...

Lately there have been times I couldn't stop listening to a particular song but inevitably it's on YouTube rather than vinyl. Sometimes it's songs I already knew (House of Love, Shake and Crawl) and sometimes songs I only just discovered and instantly fell completely in love with (Margaret Mandolph, If You Ever Need Me).

draden1 likes this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Earlier tonight as I was driving home and stuck in traffic, I played two songs over and over and over as I sat in a line of cars for an hour:

"Last Night" by the Scientists

"Six Months in a Leaky Boat" by Split Enz

As far as vinyl goes, when I was 6 or so I inherited my mom's 45 collection. I played all of them but when I got to her original London 45 of "Satisfaction" I stopped dead in my tracks and played it for easily three straight hours.

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

:edthumbs:

8. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

I never listen to "Like A Hurricane" just once. Never. Can't be done.

draden1 likes this.
  9. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I spent the evening with Nena's 99 Red Balloons when it came out. When I got tired of listening to the English version, I'd flip the 45 over and listen to the German one...

draden1 likes this.
  10. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Funnily enough, it was Aretha’s ‘Ain’t No Way’ from Lady Soul a couple of weeks ago. I got into a loop where I kept just going back and lifting the stylus and playing it again and again.

draden1 likes this.
  11. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

Theres a couple of songs I listen to over and over when I put them in the player..The first 5 songs on the "Toy matinee" DVD audio disc in surround, Gordon Lightfoots "Tatoo" and " Im not supposed to care through the Marantz Vario-matrix surround mode, Mac Mcanally's "The way it goes" and Mark Knopflers "I'm the fool"

12. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

When I finally heard One Nuit A Paris from 10cc’s Original Soundtrack, I played it endlessly and made everyone that I could find listen to it.

When I play songs on piano or bass, I tend to obsess as well. Right now my obsession is Billy Strayhorn’s Lush Life. I’m completely obsessed with the composition and I’ve yet to hear any recording that captures everything that’s in the music. Oops, I veered off topic.

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

You have a turntable IN YOUR CAR??!!??

14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I don't think many of you understand the question. Read the first post.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

48 1/2. While going thru that weird boy/man phase at around 12 I was feeling a deep sense of melancholia one afternoon and I discovered the B-side of a Hollies 45....Signs That Will Never Change....about the middle of the 48th play I entered my teen years and had had enough. Last time I listened to it was on an Everly Brothers LP a few years ago....brilliant song that.

draden1 likes this.
  16. I think I listened to "Captain Kidd" by the Cowboy Junkies about 40 times in a row once, as the deadline approached for finishing a college term paper. The baneful influence of Hunter Thompson.

I no longer crank up the music to "inspire" me to write, or to keep writing; basically, it's one or the other. I can't concentrate on both at the same time. While I often have music on at low volume in the background, when I'm really working on something I typically lose track of what's been playing. Music works to reward a couple of hours of sustained effort. But, you know, simply playing Eat A Peach etc. over and over again while pretending to craft an opening paragraph is folly. An exercise in self-deception.

I don't even want to get into my recurring earworm infections.

17. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Doesn't everyone? Not sure how I missed the entire original post, I would have to think way back to playing a song over and over on a turntable. I don't have Reveal on vinyl anyway.

18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

On my Sears-Silvertone I played the single Doors Light My Fire hundreds of times.

That is until the album was released.

Even now I listen to side 1 of The Doors many times before taking it off.

I have never listened to The Doors LP just once.

Never.

draden1 likes this.
  19. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Carpenters: Only yesterday

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

hours on end...

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I went through a phase of listening to The Ocean by Led Zeppelin countless times coz of that riff a good few months ago.
    Been listening to Nuthin' But a G Thang a lot lately but only coz I'm trying learn the lyrics.

22. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Me and my brothers were still living with my parents as the love relationship of one my younger brothers was over. All day he played just one and the same song, 'Charlotte Sometimes' of The Cure, which was a very depressed song (please, use my link when not familiair with that song)

After a while my parents who were able to listen at that while being downstairs, were getting more and more afraid for even a possible suicide despite the fact he has been always a happy person. As older brother I was sent upstairs to be with him.... where we found that situation and request that funny we played that song still over and over. Hopefully our both laughter was enough to free them for their worries....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  23. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I listened to “Rats” by Ghost four times when it was released last week. Probably the last song I did that with was “Vertigo”

24. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Most recently it was a 7” ‘Wichita Lineman’ on repeat, probably just after GC died.

RSteven, adad and notesofachord like this.
  25. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I played Baby Blue by Deafheaven twice yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.