How many vinyl LPs in your music collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fred68, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

about 7,600 LPs - that it an estimation however, by counting 2 or 3 compartments, taking an average and rounding it down - then adding it all up! About 1,500 singles and 1,500 CDs - no idea on cassettes and 8-tracks - needless to say, apart from one purge of about 250 duplicates - I've never got rid of any large numbers - and have been collecting music (and l have listened to everything at least once!) since I was 6 years old (in 1978)... should I seek professional help? ;-)

2. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Somewhere between 1700 and 2000 lps , 500+ singles , 150 ish 12' .

3. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

I'm looking at about 2500, but the collection will soon jump to 2900 due to a friend informing me that he needs to part with his collection because of space limitations, and while he could sell it, he would much rather pass it on to someone that would cherish it as much as he has. I definitely feel honored.

fly4x4 likes this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Started collecting as a teen in the 70s. In the early 80s — while a poor college student — I sold most of my classic rock (about 500 LPs) to fund purchase of jazz and classical records. I stopped collecting in the 90s for about 15 years until I got restarted again about 3 years ago. Now I have about 3000 LPs, just about all classical (2/3) and jazz (1/3) with a small bit of classic rock (100 LPs or so).

5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I wish I have that kind of friends!

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Just a rough guess based on shelf space, since I haven't counted precisely, but I'd peg it at around 1800. I had to chuckle when someone posted "not that many" at 1500. I've figured out that at one vinyl disc play per day, it would take me five years to listen through all of mine. And I'm certainly not done adding to the collection. It looks like I'm not far above the median for this poll's results.

At this point, I think I have slightly more CDs than LPs, but my priority has shifted back to analog for collecting most pre-digital-era titles, unless there are compelling bonus tracks offered on digital re-issues, or an especially good remaster such as from Mofi or AF. For new releases of new music, I normally just pick up the CD.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  7. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I have about 300, all of them were purchased on 2000's

8. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Roughly between 2500 and 3000.

9. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

i haven't done an official count but i'm going to say somewhere between 2,000-3,000. I might cull some of my thrift store records eventually because some of them I didn't care for. But anything I purchased new is going to stay. I've been collecting since 2006.

10. HectorBoeksky

HectorBoeksky Forum Resident

I have 2392 cataloged (yeah...I'm that guy!) and a few hundred others (mainly classical & soundtracks) that will be culled when I get a chance to actually listen to them and decide if I need to keep them. Maybe 500 7"s that are my "keepers" and another 5-6 thousand 7"s in the basement that I'm getting rid of when the weather gets nicer.

No...really. I'm gonna get rid of them.

I think.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

74 since November 2012, which is my second vinyl go-around. I had about 1,000 that I sold before I joined the Air Force in 1983.

innercircle likes this.
  12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Zero records are in my collection.I`ve been saying for years I`d like to at least collect my favorite 300 titles or something.:hide:

I wrote down a much shorter list with average pressings to start with and I`ll have to buy some decent gear to play them on.

13. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Go for them friend!

ibanez_ax likes this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

300 LPs

A good working number.

15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have never done item counts. I have a full Expedit 5X5, a full Expecit 2x4 and another bunch of milk crates that would probably fill another Expedit 2x4. If I estimate using 60 per shelf, that would make it about 1,900.

16. danner

danner Forum Resident

Rate Your Music tells me I have 1,114. I guess that's a fairly accurate count.

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I'm between 550-600. I look for the best pressings of the LPs I like and shed dupes regularly.

18. I like to keep it around the 1,000 mark.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Somewhere between 1001 and 2000.

20. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

I was quite surprised when he approached me and told me of his plan. I was flattered when he said that I was the only one he knew that would appreciate and care for his collection.
    I will certainly try to live up to his expectations.

21. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm probably around 1,500 with another 700 or 800 cds. Storage is becoming a bit of an issue. :help:

Jeff

22. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Not enough.
    About a few hundred?

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Real close to 2000 LPs.

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Around 1,300. I've been culling occasionally, ever since I got to about 1,000. It keeps growing, but pretty slowly. I probably bought more during the 90s than any other time. They were cheap and plentiful.

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Not that many 10,000 to 15,000.
    That does not count 78s or seven inch records.I may have that many of those.I know I have 5000-10,000 7"ers.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.