How Much Did Albums Cost In The Early 70's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

it sucks that albums now go for $20 now.

2. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

It was in the late 70s when record labels started the "Super Saver" and "Nice Price" series for older catalog titles. You could usually get those for about $3.99, while the new releases were in the $6.99/$8.99 range.
    My mom used to buy the New York Times, and I would read the Arts/Entertainment section and see the really low prices the NY stores like Korvette's and Sam Goody would have on new releases.

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Exile on Main St., on release day at Sear’s in Salem, NH, $5.98. I was a Boston Globe paperboy and $5.98 seeemd like big bucks.

4. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

In the early 70's, single LP's were $2.88 and with tax $3.02 where I was buying.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Tower Records, circa 1970:

[​IMG]

Looks like where the poster above was shopping: $2.88 !

ccbarr likes this.
  6. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

A British perspective. I'm pretty sure I bought Abba -Arrival (1976) in Boots for £3.10. It was the first time I'd known a single LP to be over £3.

Swann36 likes this.
  7. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Ha! I don't remember the prices at Tower but could have been the same. Made most of my purchases at an independent shop in Torrance, CA called Crane's Records. Also, nobody was wearing suits.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Elton John shopping at Tower Records, 1975.

His new release is going for $3.99, otherwise $4.66 seems the new normal.

9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I can remember saving for weeks to come up with $8.48 (plus 7% sales tax, thank you New York) for the new Led Zeppelin album, Physical Graffiti, but this was the mid 70’s.

10. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I think the record company wanted to charge 9.98 for the album Hard Promises and Tom fought to keep it at 8.98. Even threatening to title the album 8.98 lol - just adding to the Petty legend

ccbarr likes this.
  11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Only one I recognize is the Hey Jude LP....

Bern

12. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

What I wouldn't give for a time machine and a $100 bill. I'd need to put on my finest suit first though...;)

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  13. I wouldn't disagree however $3.99 in the early 70's when adjusted for inflation is $21.29

numer9 likes this.
  14. You can barely make out that title in the background on a price card.

Murph likes this.
  15. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

At the local discount stores--TG&Y, Howards and West Gibson's, the records were all priced the same. Looking back now, I suspect they were all being served by the same rackjobber. The $5.98 albums were discounted to $4.57 and the $6.98 ones were $5.47. I remember thinking about how a dollar more in list price cost me $.90 instead of the whole buck.

This would have been the case in 1972 or so.

JcS

16. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

I did not start buying albums until 1975 and in 1977 I bought the cars debut album for 5.99 and paid the same for The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn. Most new releases were 6.99 to 7.99 where I grew up. Ronco and K-Tels were 3.99 on average and then you had the cut outs for 1.99 to 2.99. Used records in good condition at the flea markets were .50 cents to a buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.