How much if any did Bon Scott contribute to AC/DC's Back in Black?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Mar 6, 2011.

1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Just when I thought the @#$% was getting deep, it gets deeper...:D

pexie and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  2. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Believe what you want your the one hoping it’s not true when you I’m sure know it is !! I guess you never really listened to that song closely but that’s ok ...

3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Honestly, I'm having difficulty comprehending the sentence you just wrote, let alone your baseless theories about who wrote the lyrics to BiB. o_O

nodeerforamonth and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

That’s ok ... It’s really not that hard to figure out ..Sorry if it was to tough for you. The AC DC camp stole Bons lyrics and everyone but you lol Know it !!!!!

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

actually most people in this thread don't agree with you and someone posted examples in songs from FTATR and FOTS that follow patterns of lyrics on BIB that didn't exist while bon was in the band

Purple, aroney and nodeerforamonth like this.
  6. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Not from what I saw lol Believe what you want . It’s a fact Bons Lyric book was stolen most think by the AC/DC camp .. It’s ok to be wrong my friend lol ....Keep telling yourself whatever you want !!

7. Matthew Tate

please provide documented proof. innocent until proved guilty. i don't jump to conclusions especially when lyrical patterns by both singers were pointed out and BIB doesn't match bons writing style

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  8. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Look its not just me many people feel that way .Most of the people on your thread agree with me as well !! It’s America and we can disagree...

9. Matthew Tate

most people who say bon helped write it only say that because "the album is so good compared to what came after it". to me that's really not proof although I do agree its better than all of the other brian years albums. I can honestly say that about a ton of bands though, the first album or first album with a new singer is better than the albums that followed

pexie likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think he's talking about missing words and punctuation among other things. Reread your sentence slowly and aloud.

aroney and nodeerforamonth like this.
  11. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

I did I have a life and usually am walking and writing fast believe me he gets what I said ...

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I refuse to believe anyone's crazy conspiracy theories if they can't use proper spelling or punctuation. Not being able to use them properly is not a sign of intelligence, no matter what level of multitasking is going on.

el supernautico, tkl7 and The Beave like this.
  13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember seeing a doc on Back in Black and Brian Johnson details how he wrote the songs. Specifically i remember You Shook Me All Night Long and how he just scribbled it down when he heard the music. That it just came out. Are you saying he is lying? Why would he lie? Weird supposition man.

Purple, buxetehude and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I've always thought the Young's were very respectful to Bon and if they say none of Bon's lyrics are on BIB, i believe them. I don't believe they'd not give him credit, they were all mates and that means a lot.
    I think some people WANT to believe Bon had something to do with the album. I'm a Bon fan and lost interest in the band once he died, and i do not believe he had anything to do with BIB.

15. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

I love this thread. Both sides, both sides.

16. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

It sure is a "fun" topic :)

I wish BIB had Bon lyrics because that would have just made it an even more perfect album. That said, there's little logic to support the argument, unless you want to insist that guys in bands are incapable of coming up with juvenile ***** pun lyrics under pressure. Also, The Youngs never gave two damns about the lyrics even when Bon was alive, so why would they suddenly care so much as to lie and steal Bon's lyrics while insisting that Brian wrote them? The same Brian they relieved of lyrical duties in 1990 so that they could forever gift the world their own absolutely terrible lyrics.

17. Tomversal

Tomversal Member

I'm not sure whether Bon wrote for the album or not. Personally, I do think he wrote for the album just because the album still has the sort of Bon Scott personality, listen to Givin' The Dog A Bone - that song just says Bon Scott to me. In saying that if Bon didn't write any of it I wouldn't be surprised because Angus and Malcolm must have had a rush of motivation after Bons family told them to continue and wrote these masterpieces, nevertheless Back In Black is still an amazing album - and Brian's vocals impress me on that album even to this day

blutiga and Greenalishi like this.
  18. ozpac

ozpac New Member

After reading "The Last Highway" ( and other "speculative evidence") I am convinced ( personally) that Bon had a whole lot to do with BIB, furthermore, I agree that Bon has "input" on later songs, as widely believed, I will go as far as to say that I think,in my personal opinion, Thunderstruck and Money Talks have a Bon contribution ( lyrically)

Jimmy B. and Fullbug like this.
  19. erikdavid5000

So, every post BIB song that you like, Bon wrote the lyrics for? Sure, that works. Completely solid and logical and backed up by so much evidence, and so “widely believed.”

20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Put it this way: they are still (and always have been) close with Bon's family. If Bon wrote any lyrics, he would've been credited. And they would've put out press releases hyping and using this as a selling point.

Bon was not the only clever songwriter in the band. Rock 'n Roll Singer was written before Bon joined. Dave Evans sang it live.

I wouldn't put too much weight on any conspiracy theories, especially written by a Fink. The guy's writings are no better quality than a teen blogger.

21. erikdavid5000

This "Bon Scott personality" thing and all this "Has Bon written over it" is kind of insulting. It's like no one else in the band had anything to do with the whole picture? It's ALL about Bon's lyrics to the point where a few people have to falsely assign him credit for songs he didn't contribute to in order to justify their existence? I'm sorry, but Back In Black has zero Bon Scott personality and he is not "all over" that record. Any way that it might feel like "Bon" is in the fact that the rest of the band is the same and they're sticking to the same lyrical subject matter as many a rock n roll band. It's the debut album of the Brian Johnson era and it is an all time classic and this incarnation of the band are a global phenomena. My condolences to those whom this fact offends.

22. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I think people adhere to this theory because Brian Johnson could not come even close to reproducing the staying power of BiB at any other point in AC/DC's history. It's their most consistent effort with Johnson, it came about in a matter of a few months and he never reproduced the formula again for a whole albums worth of material like that. So, I can see why people remain skeptical.

The thing is - the brothers were just on a songwriting hot streak and rather than discourage that output, if anything Bon's death just emboldened their efforts even more. There is a depth to BiB that speaks volumes too because of the resolve to make something worthy of continuing on and not disgrace Bon. And I think once they proved that it was worthwhile to do so and that they could make equally as decent material with a new singer then they just rested on their laurels a bit. The fiery inspiration came from wanting to prove that they should and could go on.

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

So they might have used a few lines and ideas from Bon. Good on em. Bon wouldn't have given a ****. So who cares.
    Fink's a straw man who has no feel for the times and places Bon and AcDc developed in - or what the music represented. Bon would have laughed in his face I reckon.
    Ultimately they reveal themselves as grubby, shallow books, that's all they are. Imo of course.

Matthew Tate, pexie and erikdavid5000 like this.
  24. erikdavid5000

Well, that's your opinion, and you're ignoring the fact that some fans actually prefer Flick Of The Switch and that Flick and For Those About To Rock are solid albums in and of themselves not to mention later monster hits like Thunderstruck and later successful albums. This way of bashing Brian is mean spirited and unfair and really not even much of a valid point considering the massive success the band has been and that millions of people got hugely into AC/DC based off the Brian incarnation of the band alone. He literally saved the band... Albums are generally s snapshot of a time and the timing of Back In Black was perfect and everyone involved gave 100% and then some. Any other falsely constructed context in order to slag off, is just that: false.

25. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Ok..... So, in getting all personally riled up and nasty you have actually driven my point home more than a few times in your response. Even still...
    A) I like those albums too.
    B) Brian Johnson is stellar in the early years and no one could have accomplished what he did as a replacement vocalist. That is a legendary move, no doubt.
    C) I have nothing against any era of Acca Dacca even if they used an entire album of material by Bon or if it was soley BJ's lyrics. Either way they've taken care of Bon's mom and fam like good boys.

I accept (while having a preference for Bon era) they wouldn't be what they are today without the amazing Brian.

P.S. I own Flick of the Switch on LP. You're still delusional if you think they ever topped BiB with regards to consistency, depth or hits packed into one album. Thunderstruck is one of their best tunes but The Razors Edge doesn't come close to BiB.

drift, nodeerforamonth and blutiga like this.