How much if any did Bon Scott contribute to AC/DC's Back in Black?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Mar 6, 2011.

1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Veteran bands do their most popular material. Hardcore fans would flip if AC/DC broke out something like Nervous Shakedown, but that's not gonna happen.

Also most people at the shows aren't going to recognize deep cuts off of Let There Be Rock or Powerage any more than they would Flick of the Switch. I mean when's the last time they did "Go Down" or "Kicked in the Teeth"?

Matthew Tate and erikdavid5000 like this.
  2. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

You mean enough of a handful to rival the four or five people who perepetute this Bon/BIB nonsense?

But here's one mere example:

ACDCfans.net | AC/DC News and Forum »

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Btw, why is it so miraculous to come up with lyrics for ten songs in six weeks?

Also, I love the thing about how they gave Brian credit so people would accept him. As if fans would be like, "Screw this new singer! I'll never accept...oh, you're saying he wrote lyrics too? Well that's different."

Tim S, Michael C and aroney like this.
  4. erikdavid5000

Yeah, and there's a reason they went all the way to the Bahamas's to record. Focus!

5. Emrys Wledig

Emrys Wledig New Member

Well it looks like there are two camps on here, both convinced in what each other believe. I think you will find many ACDC fans think BIB owed a lot to and had input from Bon Scott, and not just the handful on here, and also a lot of them think that the band has deteriorated lyrically since 1980. You believe what you want, and I'll come to my own conclusions. I'd like to think the truth will out in my lifetime.

The Gomper likes this.
  6. erikdavid5000

No, there's one camp that accuses Brian, Angus, Mal, Phil, Cliff, Mutt Lange, Tony Platt and others of being liars and thieves, and there is another camp that doesn't. It's about as simple as that. AC/DC has explained the truth in detail many many times and a few guys refuse to believe it. Have fun with that. The rest of us get to enjoy the music.

7. erikdavid5000

It's funny. An album like Flick Of The Switch has more "Bon-like" lyrical moments than all of BIB. Hell it even has Bedlam In Belgium about an incident that happened when Bon was IN the band! No one accuses theft and lying here because the album isn't the most massive album ever in rock like BIB is. Or did Brian actually steal those lyrics as well?

8. Emrys Wledig

Emrys Wledig New Member

Aren't you being a bit naïve here. "AC/DC has explained the truth in detail many many times" How do you know for a 100% it is true, you don't unless you were in the studio when they recorded it or spent the time with the band at the time.

9. Emrys Wledig

Emrys Wledig New Member

So basically you are telling me their most successful and popular work predates 1981. Thanks for that.

10. erikdavid5000

And neither do you .... I just see no reason to assume these people are lying.

11. erikdavid5000

Their most popular album does and they have a great legacy with Bon to keep alive. They've always played new material and a song or two from their previous albums on each tour. AC/DC are creatures of habit. None of this means their post 1980 material is worthless.

My top 5 albums are these:

Powerage
    Back In Black
    For Those About To Rock
    Fly On The Wall
    Dirty Deeds

Many fans don't toe the party-line.

And actually, they're most successful and popular thing ever might just be Thunderstruck.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Close - on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, their highest ranking single ever was Moneytalks. No other single ever cracked the top 30 in the U.S. On the separate U.S. Mainstream Rock chart, they had a number of top 10 singles.

In Australia, their highest ranking single was Thunderstruck, at #4.

13. erikdavid5000

I guess money really does talk ;p

Matthew Tate and Aggie87 like this.
  14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Two camps? Sure, one that uses facts to guide their thinking, another that does not, instead relying on rumor, unsubstantiated theory and what they want to believe is true.

Even if 99-percent of AC/DC fans believe Bon wrote BiB it still doesn't matter.

The onus is still on you, and them, to put forward proof. You haven't though. Not one single shred of evidence. No tapes, no hand-written lyrics, and no admission(s) from anyone involved in the albums recording. Nothing.

Actually, and I think a few folks have posted something similar, if you really look at a lot of the lyrics, many are actually very un-Bon like, outside of the usual band subject matter, and frankly would have sounded real strange had Bon sang 'em.

I heard all this speculation (wishful thinking) when BiB first came out, and all these years later it's the same thing - guys believing something without a single fact to back it up.

Western Movie, Michael C and marty34 like this.
  15. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I really have no interest in getting into a debate with you.. you're very insulting actually! there is nothing "critical thinking" about just accepting whatever the Young brothers and Brian tell you happened.... critical thinking is questioning.. .seeking out further information, thinking about it etc... What you do is simply accept the official story without any facts other than what they tell you which you accept as fact.. that is not critical thinking.. in fact, what you do is the opposite of critical thinking...

another nicety you deployed of course was dividing into the "new guys" and the rest.. as if it matters..

16. erikdavid5000

Very true, but when there is no evidence to support a theory and the facts present point away from your theory .... Also, this is a theory that actually accuses people of lying and of theft .... A bit more serious than merely questioning.

17. hutchenstance

nonesense..... I'm sure the Young brothers took very good care of Bon's family as I said above...

18. aroney

Uh, you're putting forth a theory with no facts to back it up and you don't want to get in a debate?

Hilarious. AC/DC truthers!

Here's how it works. You have a theory - it's on YOU to prove it. It has nothing to do with believing the "official story" or anything else. I'm not the one making the claims.

Try spouting a bunch of "stuff" with no facts to back it up in the real world. Let me know how that works out.

Hopefully, you won't get your "feelings" hurt too badly.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. hutchenstance

more insults...

there were many many facts.. you did not delve into any of them.. you simply accused people of lacking "critical thinking" while you yourself simply accept what you're told as fact without any evidence...

20. hutchenstance

How unpleasant really. Ok bye.

Emrys Wledig likes this.
  21. erikdavid5000

Why does critical thinking suddenly vanish when attempts are made to actually analyze the lyrics in question? Saying "this has Bon written all over it" or "I think" blah blah doesn't cut it. As good as the lyrics on BIB are, they're a far cry from Bon's best stuff and are really made what they are by Brian's delivery and were written by him (with input from The Young's) for his voice and personality. Hell, but then the lyrics on HTH are also a far cry from Bon's best stuff.

aroney likes this.
  22. aroney

:wave:

Stormrider77 and D.H. like this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

To those of you who claim "Have a drink on me?" must have been written by Bon because it would be so distasteful if not so....

If you were Angus and Malcolm and you wanted to make a fitting tribute to him, what would be more appropriate? A song about partying or...I dunno how to even finish that statement. I think it's the perfect tribute. He was unapologetic in his partying ways, that took his life. I think it would have been disingenuous to write a sad song instead of a partying song. My take, unpopular though it may be. When I listen to AC/DC I want to rock out and have a good time, not lament the repercussions of the partying lifestyle. I actually admire AC/DC for this and respect their decision to not try to be what they are not.

24. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Heres the thing, I think the lyrics to BIB sound like they are coming from a different source. Like they come from someone trying to be Bon. Not from Bon. As such I think Johnson wrote most of the lyrics. Bon probably wrote a few.

Listen. Really listen. Listen to the vibe of Bon's lyrics. He didn't say he was creepy, revealing in all things evil. He oozed it. He enjoyed it. He enjoyed the ride on the highway to hell. Brian talks about being evil. Bon you knew was evil.

"Satan get cha'" C'mon, Bon would have never written that.
    "shoot to thrill" sounds like it was written about Bon, not by Bon.
    "you shook me all night long" sounds like Bon mostly.
    "Given the dog a bone" "What do you do for money?" "Let me put my love into you." different sort of trashy than Bon. It devolved into "Night of the long knives" and such drivel.

Bon was no lyrical genius but you knew what he was and it felt so real. AC/DC after Highway to Hell sounds like a band singing about Bon, not from Bon. As such I think the large majority of BIB are Johnson's words, who did a respectable job of filling in for a unique rock and roll legend, but he never replaced him.

Michael C and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good points!
    The thing that Stands out in both Back in Black AND For Those About is the dramatic focus on the theme of Evil and satan. Yeah, Bon played with Hell and badness before but his lyrics again, were always slyness and tongue and cheekiness. But again lyrics like 'I got the bell i'm gonna take you to hell.....I'm gonna get you......satan get you...... is nothing like Bon's sense of poetry. Quite the opposite, there is Nothing playful with lyrics like that. And also this 'evil' theme was carried through to For Those About To Rock. And THEN after that ac\dc turned into a very lyrically juvinile band. From satan to sex.....quite weird.
    Unless Mutt was into what ritchie blackmore and jimmy page got into and co wrote without credit lyrics for those albums.....
    Ah.........thats a thought.
    The beave