How Much is That Used Album Locally?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theholygoof, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Yeah, these days I doubt we'd see one for any less. I think the last ones I saw were more around 30ish at SD. Crazy, when you can go buy a new one for less than that.

Have you been to PrePlayed in the last couple months? They put out an amazing collection but they were also mostly amazingly high priced. However, worth a dig if you haven't been yet, not everything was out of hand, and some things were actually far less than they should be. I'm hoping they put out more, word on the street was it was a collection they bought some years back and have been sitting on.

In more thread-related business: Has anyone shopped in Milwaukee lately? Wondering if prices have gone gonzo there too. I heard some distressing reports but haven't been myself since a couple summers back.

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I find it easier to get rid of the smell than the discoloration you usually associate with smoking. Also, that fusty bookstore type smell is a big problem.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I know where you are coming from, but I see all sorts of c**p selling. Some people don't even inspect the record inside.

c-eling likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Prices are all over the place in my current local area. Lots of stores here so that plays into it. Many are jacking up prices, but not all stores.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I got a rare LP release of Pat Metheny Group's The Road To You on EBay. It was full of smoke smell, on the records, the printed inner sleeves, and the outer jacket. I tried light alcohol wipes on the sleeves, Fabreze spray, airing them out. I got them improved, but couldn't get rid of the smoke smell completely.

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Around here, the prices vary a lot, and you have to shop carefully, to say the least. Here in Panama City, there is only FYE that sells used records, and their selection varies in size as do their prices. Most of their used records are offered with a "Money Back Guarantee" and I've yet to have to take one back. Most of theirs I'd say that the vinyl ranges from VG+ to Excellent, but most of the jackets are only Fair. For example, I picked up a copy of The Association Renaissance for $12; it's a stereo pressing, sounds great with only one or two pops or clicks, but the jacket has split seams, ring wear and is a little faded. For better selection, I have to drive to Seaside (35 minutes), Fort Walton Beach (1-1/2 hours), or Tallahassee (2 hours). I've paid as little as $4 and as much as $20 for used records in those areas. Price has been no guarantee of condition; I've bought a few that look just VG at best and play NM, and I've bought some that look NM and are crackle city; you just can't tell from looking, and the stores don't play grade around here. That said, I did pick up a Odeon pressing of With the Beatles, which is near mint, and there's not even a bit of wear on the vinyl or the jacket; it's a stereo pressing, not the mono as I'd prefer, but I paid too much: $50. That's the most I've ever paid for a used record, save for a couple of rare quad pressings I've bought off Discogs from Europe, and it wasn't the price that got me, it was the shipping.... In Fort Walton, I picked up a nice clean NM copy of America for $10 the other day as well as several others I'm working on listening to. The guy who owns the shop there is pretty nice, and prices his stuff fairly. He visually grades everything he sells, and he'll play it for you while you shop if you ask. That said, all of the local stores are small (if there were 10 people all shopping at the same time, they'd be crowded), and nothing as nice as the ones I went to in Colorado Springs last fall. You guys who live in large cities are really lucky.

7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

A few years ago I happened on to the entire REM vinyl catalog that was just put out at $5 each for NM. I’m not even a big REM fan, but I bought all of them.

I’ve stopped shopping used because the prices are so ridiculous. 7-10 years ago everything was $1-3 for NM. Now it’s $20+ for anything of interest in worse condition.

The Hud likes this.
  8. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Yep, similar or slightly higher in London. I think I paid £35 for a NM early-80’s DSOTM with HTM in the deadwax last year... :hide:

9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I only have 4 places in the Dayton area that sell vintage used vinyl. The 1st 2 are basically used bookstores.

2nd & Charles (aka Books & Co.) overpriced & a lot of stuff VG & below.
    HPB. Same as above except seen stuff in even worse shape.
    Toxic Beauty in Yellow Springs. Reasonably priced & stuff in much better condition.
    Omega Records is my favorite. Also reasonably priced. Condition step above Toxic Beauty on some things. What I like about Omega is...
    Ofthes record is in too bad shap it goes in the dollar bin. I'm talking about records with several scratched. They are picky about condition. I also like the fact that they'll insist on letting me look at the vinyl under a strong bright light.

Darryl

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Stores always try and get AU$50 for DSOTM. Rumours less than AU$25, Thriller (not sure), Sports AU$8, any vinyl pressed this century AU$30+

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I look at condition of both vinyl & cover before I'll consider buying it. It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $20. If I'm not happy with the condition I'll put it back. If a record cover is in bad shape, I usually don't bother looking at the vinyl (unless it's something really rare).

Darryl

12. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Possibly even gone lower as I picked up a Columbia Record Club box of the sing along stuff for the same price(fifty cents) as any of the single LPs in the room. Still,the Atlantic album,Give Peace A Chance,and the many Golden Records he supervised are interesting.

13. Ben77

Ben77 Forum Resident

This is fun, always interesting to see what prices are like in shops around the world vs. the online marketplace. I picked up these over the weekend:

Wishbone Ash - Just Testing $1.00
    Devo - Freedom of Choice $5.00
    Anthony Braxton - Five Pieces 1975 $10.00
    The Art Ensemble of Chicago - Fanfare for the Warriors (1982 reissue) $8.00
    Pink Floyd - Masters of Rock, Vol. 1 (1974 German comp.) $8.00

c-eling likes this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Around my area and in Toronto, I see the price for Thriller go between $10-$15, depending on the condition. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon goes for $20 or higher if it comes with the posters and stickers intact, while Huey Lewis' Sport for maybe $5-$8 and Supertramp's Breakfast in American for $8-$12.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

I'm surrounded by record stores in a major city. Due to high prices and poor condition, I've been forced to do ~90% of my shopping on eBay. I'd rather support the local shops, but the prices are ridiculous.

LivingForever and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. Tedw9

Tedw9 No More Mr. Nice Guy

Long time listener, first time caller here.....

Used vinyl is hit and miss around here. I’m seeing and hearing about a lot new places selling vinyl, besides the usual suspects (Goodwill and “antique” shops). Usually in Goodwill stores I hit, I can get used records for $1-2 each. It’s 99.9% stuff I have no idea who they are or stuff I don’t listen to. But I have scored stuff like Huey Lewis’ Sport, Styx Paradise Theatre, and most recently Motley Crue Theater of Pain all at Goodwill. But that’s the exception, not the norm.

At a used record store down state I picked up a Tom Petty Damn the Torpedos in nice shape for $6 and a Mr. Hankey’s Christmas album sealed in the bargain bin for $5. I have to go back to that store and do some more looking, it was Christmas Eve and we were headed home from our kids house. But I liked the prices I saw there. I also frequent a bigger independent record store, where I was able to pick up Metallicas Lords of Summer RSD single for under $3. Score!

Antique stores, forget about it. Saw a bunch of KISS albums, all heavily scratched, all asking $25+ each. All belong in the garbage, unplayable. So for the most part, I skip antique stores because usually they are over priced.

I did notice on my last trip to my local Wal Mart (which I avoid as much as possible) that they were carrying new vinyl. I saw Metallica’s And Justice for All for $20 or so, not bad I’d say.

Flea markets? Forget about it, prices are high for records that are usually scratched. Purchased John Cougar American Fool for $6 at one only to find it skipped in a few places. And yard sales, I’ve yet to find any records at a yard sale surprisingly. Hopefully my luck will change this summer.

Christopher B likes this.
  17. ITG

ITG Well-Known Member

From a record shop in the rural heart of the UK, prices are all for late '70s or '80s re-issues in decent condition.
    Born to Run £15
    Thriller £8 (never priced one in double figures / always spares in stock)
    Dark Side - No posters/stickers - £20 / With posters stickers £30
    Huey Lewis’s Sports - Strictly Bargain Basement £1
    Velvet Underground & Nico - £15
    Supertramp’s Breakfast in America? £3.

18. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

checked out a store I was never in until today , though in asking , I found out they have existed 30+ yrs , just a town I never get to travel thru in the Pocono's .... " Born to Run , had 2 , $20 each , or Thriller (well , they had one for $40 , while I was there someone bought it -the same person also bought Bad for $40 and the Dancin' Machine Motown lp for $35 - so their M Jackson bin was now empty) -----Dark Side? ($30 , vg++ with one of the posters). Huey Lewis’s Sports? ($5-they had 3). Velvet Underground & Nico? ($25 they had 2 , both 80's re-issues) Supertramp’s Breakfast in America? ($5 , they had at least 10 of them)

19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I have quite a few thrift stores around here,so I get lucky once in a while for a dollar and mint condition.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've noticed the Manifest NEVER has any collectible material out on the floor. Given how large a market Charlotte is, I assume that means it's all going online. I'm not in the market for Beatles/Stones/Floyd or Zep (unless an RL cut came my way). Locally I have noticed they've gotten high. DSOTM pushing $20, The Wall $30. Forget about original VU on Verve. Not seen one in a shop in decades.

Sports is going to be $4-5 in VG or better one or two bucks in VG- to G. Supertramp maybe a dollar more in nice shape, the same as Huey in junk condition.

21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

In Spartanburg, 70s-80s arena rock will pretty much fly out the door plus, of course Southern Rock. And Marshal Tucker records can probably be marked up five dollars higher because they're local.

22. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

$40 for Thriller?! :faint:

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Thriller, $1.00

Goodwill, M- (perfect in every way! Jacket cover too - perfect.)

Been wanting this LP since it came out. Just had to wait awhile to get it, like... 30 years. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  24. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Australian sellers, especially at record fairs, are as bad as used car salesmen. Pick up any old piece of junk under their gaze, and they'll try to sell it to you like it's the lost ark.

The brick and mortar stores are outrageously over-priced. You can buy better pressings online, in better condition, pay for overseas postage, and still have it work out cheaper. Part of the problem is that the stores have to pay high rent; but at the same time, there is a mentality that anything old or by a popular act is worth more than it actually it is. Worse, when they get in overseas pressings, they'll write "UK IMPORT!!!" or "US IMPORT!!!" on the sticker and add another $20/$30 dollars.

nosliw likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sadly, I am finding the same thing here in Edmonton, except substitute "Discogs" for "eBay" in my case. As much as I support the local indie record stores lately the gouging has gotten out of hand. I have now "boycotted" my two favourite shops in the city for that reason.

If only the shipping when you buy online wasn't so bloody expensive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.