How Much is That Used Album Locally?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theholygoof, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Here in Tokyo, prices for most of the vinyl being discussed here are very low. I would say that anywhere from $5 - $20 should get you a VG+ copy of Thriller, usually with an obi. I would put the period from around 1977 - 1987 as a period where the supply of vinyl is much greater than the demand. There are exceptions, of course. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in the original shrink will bring a tidy sum. I sense very little local interest in mid-70's and 80's "classic rock" on vinyl. There seems to be a healthy demand for the much rarer albums from the 90's and 00's.

LivingForever, zphage and nosliw like this.
  2. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I can relate on the antique shop mess. I saw Kiss' "Music from The Elder" which is the only one I dont have on vinyl. It was wrecked and the owner wanted $25. I easily turned that down. No amount of massaging with cleaner was gonna save that LP.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I recently found mint WLP's of Cheap Trick's Dream Police and All Shook Up. I paid $18 and $15. These are records I used to routinely pay $5 for not long ago.

The condition of the vinyl and jacket was rather breathtaking.

I caved in shame.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    zphage and Christopher B like this.
  4. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

ITG = In The Groove; an excellent old school record shop in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire UK. It's only two failings (IMHO) are that it doesn't list stuff online & doesn't appear to open on Sundays (when I usually go to Henley)

Well worth a visit

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Dark Side, $20 or more. Sports, $8, Velvet Underground & Nico $25 or more up, Supertramp, $8 for nice copies.

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That's what I'm thinking. When did this stop being dollar bin fodder?

The first is a feature, not a failing. If you find a store like that treasure it. There's one near me...

Sneaky Pete and Dave S like this.
  7. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Hard to say. Prices vary pretty widely by store

VG Def Leppard Pyromania (Mercury Skyscraper). One store $5, another $15

VG+ Pink Floyd DSOTM first pressing no stickers. One store $15, another $30

NM condition Pink Floyd Relics (Capitol 80's green label). One store $10 another, $20

VG+ Bob Dylan Greatest Hits (Mono Columbia two eye) no poster. One store $10 another $40, 3rd store $100

patient_ot and Christopher B like this.
  8. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Thriller -- the kids who grew up loving that album are now in their 40's and into collecting vinyl

Tedw9 likes this.
  9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Assuming they're OPs in great condition. Here in Chicago, Born to Run is ~$15-20 though often less, Thriller is a consistent $20-25, Dark Side ~$25, Velvet Underground & Nico, never seen on, it would be a $50+, Sports and Breakfast in America are well under $10.

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This is a bitter irony. After years of being laughed at for saying vinyl sounds better, finally everyone opens up their ears and agrees. End result records that were 5 for a Dollar are now $20 and up. Jazz titles they couldn’t give away are in the stratosphere.

Hooray we were right, we won! :)

I’m buying my vinyl from eBay and Discogs. NYC doesn’t have the selection it once did and when I find it it’s usually overpriced.

I admit I’m too lazy to go to Brooklyn but the hunting may be better there.

11. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Went to a shop I have not been in forever , this was and still is , a shop that specializes in Metal and Punk , but he even admitted to me , with the Vinyl boom of the last 5 years , he has started to take in everything. His 5 fastest sellers (used-with his price range) when he can get them (and he said none of these last more then a 1/2 hour in the rack) 1 to 5- Thriller $32-$40 , Grease S/K $25-$30 , SNF S/K $25-$30 , Dark Side $30-$35 , LZ IV $25-$30 (he admits things likes Purple Rain (pretty much any Prince ) , MJ OTW / Bad (+ any J5) , any Floyd , any Zep would all do as well , if they came in as much ---------------for a guy who for 30 yrs never carried any of this stuff --he admits the market has changed so much ..........new customers coming in , and his customers that like punk and metal, coming around and buying things they overlooked for years ...............................................................................he really thinks he could add a tenner or even a 20 spot to the above listed albums , and people wouldn't flinch , stuff is so much in demand

12. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

are you sure they don't have thriller in the hip hop section or something, ive seen any black music all mixed in with hiphop, even blues jazz etc

13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The "Grease S/T" and "SNF" for $25-$30? Where are The Beatles LP's? In the dollar bin or something?

14. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

the crosely effect. (im guilty)

15. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

used doors albums seem to have gone up $10 overnight.

did jim morrison die again?

16. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

I've been reading this forum since last summer and THIS is truly the most depressing thread I've seen. There should be an award. Where I live all this is too too too familiar. Everything is way cheaper and in better shape on Discogs than in the stores in pdx :(
    I don't even know if it's turning over that much. I feel like it isn't. People just think all vinyl is hot now obviously, whether or not it's beat to sh**t. What a bummer!

Christopher B likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Typical prices: Born to Run: $8. Thriller: $6. Dark Side: $10-20, depending on whether it has the inserts. Sports: $3. VU & Nico: $30+ for an original, $15 for a repress. Supertramp: $5.

18. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

well it should be cheaper on discogs, considering stores have overhead, and theres always a cost to have it "now"

LivingForever likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You see all your competitors with discogs, so that's probably the biggest difference.

20. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

As an aside, I've seen many younger people buying used vinyl without checking condition. I, on the other hand, am the weirdo with the aging eyes and the magnifying glass with built in LED lights.

Christopher B and mick_sh like this.
  21. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

yeh, but making it available without much wear and tear, that's why it is $10 and up

Sytze likes this.
  22. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

well most record stores have to pay somebody 7 bucks while you shop around for a hour and then leave, discogs is 24-7

23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yes, but a lot were on cassette and many more to 9 year old kids who didn't take care of them...

it's not as common in walk-in used vinyl boxes as, say, The Eagles Greatest Hits V 1 or Fleetwood Mac Tusk.

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

If the cover is NM then that's a steal - it's hard to find that white cover in excellent condition.

Christopher B and theholygoof like this.
  25. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

They don't have to pay anyone 4.50 to hand me the record across the counter though -- when I say cheaper I really mean, including the shipping costs! harrumph!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.