How much longer can late night fare like SNL and The Late Show last?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shoes1916, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After watching the first two horrendously bad SNL episodes, and unable to get through more than a few moments of Colbert, Meyers, Kimmel and Fallon, I wonder how much longer these late night shows can stagger on.

I remember a media commentator - fascinated by the life and career of Jerry Lewis - observing years before the great but controversial comedian's death that spite was the only thing keeping him alive.

David Spade recently had a short-lived late night program in the grand old spirit of making fun of EVERYONE, but that died during the early stages of the COVID crisis.

Do young people watch shows like SNL and Late Night?

Or are they aimed at a specific demographic of older viewers with a very narrow worldview which, by formal decree or tacit understanding, can simply never be challenged or addressed in any way?

I find it stultifying, brain-dead and the very antithesis of comedy; will it go the way of most things Boomer, or will it somehow hold on?

Broadening and deepening of perspective - an ethos of "if it's smart/funny, it goes on" - seems entirely out of the question...

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

We have much more options to fill our tv watching time..
    The Tonight Show was a staple of viewing for many decades ..
    It has been dying over years same with late show and all other mentioned
    The late shows are a 1960 and 1980's models a lot have changed since then.
    SNL should be cancelled as others.. go back to 11.30 movies or tv movie of week..
    Nobody I know watches in late shows anymore..
    It's like music radio stations it no longer has place in the world.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've been wondering the same thing about woman's daytime chat shows, since Art Linkletter's House Party paved the way for what we have now (which is basically the same show, whether it's Drew Barrymore, Kelly Clarkson or Regis-and-pick-your-poison), going on under different title cards for all your life.

But as it has been for generations, as you can see by the round-robin of the same show replaced with different heads, it's not about the viewer, it's about the showrunner. And it's not about the showrunner, it's about who wants the showrunner to put somebody in that slot for some reason. And, I'm guessing, the reason has more to do with marketing than audience. And these personalities can do a lifestyle-and-marketing connection to the viewer that neither a daytime drama or a gameshow can do.

Late-night couch-and-guest chat shows probably fill a lot of the same needs, for a different demographic.

GMfan87', Bluesman Mark and Shoes1916 like this.
  4. Dillydipper

While you're at it, look at the universality of the form as it seems to be a staple across the world, and ask yourself...do you really think Graham Norton is going anywhere...?

crispi and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. Shoes1916

They're incredibly anachronistic, but unlike the old shows, their cultural bandwidth is startlingly narrow, which is the opposite of what you might expect.

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I think if we get four more years of the current administration, late night comedy shows will be just FINE. There is just TOO MUCH material to mine from.

7. Banter

Banter Forum Resident

Nothing on TV gets the ratings it once does, but I think people are still watching, they just aren't watching live. Most the segments from late night shows are all hitting 500k-1m+ hits on youtube. The quickest of google searches showed

"The late-night program notched an average of 3.6 million viewers throughout the entire season. The show was also the most-watched among adults between the ages of 25 and 54, according to CBS citing data from the Nielsen live “Most Current” ratings through the week of May 15, 2020.

Colbert topped NBC's “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" by more than 1.55 million viewers, according to CBS. Although both shows tied in gaining the attention of the 18-49 age group"

This does not count the hits on Youtube, and I assume it also does not count those that are watching the next day on Hulu or other streaming apps. They might not have quite the relevance that they had in previous decades, but it looks like they are still doing well.

There are so much media to capture our attention on top of the fact there are about 10 late-night talk shows to tune into. I don't love most of the current hosts and have a personal dislike of Fallon, but I still follow Conan regularly.

8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

9. Shoes1916

I really can't agree.

In prior times, presumably less diverse, the rule was that you made fun of whoever was in charge.

Now it's brazenly selective, and that becomes cultish quickly rather than comedic.

It's rarely if ever funny, and always chilling.

GMfan87', JM Jones, spanky1 and 15 others like this.
  10. Shoes1916

Great points; I guess what was once must-see viewing (SNL) is now a niche, but one that DOES attract younger viewers.

The last 20-something I talked to said that they never watch SNL...

And Conan is old school; he had Sarah Silverman on as Hitler, and it was genius. (Hitler was worried that the comparisons to Trump were hurting his image...)

Knox Harrington and bababooey like this.
  11. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I assumed these shows are for the brain-dead.

GMfan87', TheVU, showtaper and 4 others like this.
  12. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I cannot stand Jimmy Fallon. I only watch him out of spite.

13. Shoes1916

Great contribution... o_O

14. Shoes1916

Ha!

The sleepy/half-awake to be sure!

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Bring back Phil Donohue!

Grand_Ennui, KAT and Shoes1916 like this.
  16. Shoes1916

His monologue on the lion was genuinely touching, and an appearance by Miley was classic, but in general, cringetastic.

Grootna likes this.
  17. Shoes1916

A dope, but a gentle dope; the Mr. Rogers of daytime talk shows.

Steve Carras likes this.
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Ah! The old "They NEVER poked fun at that so-called Hawaiian like they do to our Gold-Leafed savior!" argument. :righton:

19. Dillydipper

And, extreme closeups of hosts from home isn't nearly as distracting on television as it would be in, say, a movie theater...;)

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

My last stop before bed is now at the compyooter, watching YouTube. That's where Johnny Carson's primary audience used to be: sleepy-eyed 9-to-5'ers, looking to close out their day watching some friends on a couch. It's how the television made it to the bedroom in the first place: "a radio with visuals". Now with the immense variety of available nuggets of content at my disposal (can I call them "cartoons"? That's what I used to call MTV vids, in the same context...), I can either graze my way to bedtime, or learn, edificate and engage my thought processes until sleep causes them to fail me. And, if I want I can do that in bed as well, with a tablet in my lap.

Last evening I put YouTube on through the app in my Oppo downstairs, and was devastated on how complicated the loading was, how patient I had to be to get through a commercial, avoid opt-in come-ons, and how clunky the search was with a remote in my hand. I can't imagine people having the serenity to do that in front of a teevee in their bedrooms, no way. The app on my Samsung upstairs in the living room, is not that complicated and frustrating, fortunately. For a casual audience who are not video savants or computer wizards, YouTube's greed to expand is literally shooting them in their own feet.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I noticed SNL has gone back to the studio, with audience and everything. Did I miss the end of the pandemic? :eek:

Moonbeam Skies, Shoes1916 and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as long as there are snowflakes in the sky...

Moonbeam Skies and showtaper like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's funny!

24. Dillydipper

The Tonite Show's problem is the same that affects Saturday Night Live: the sense that their management is obsessed by their own importance and wordwide significance.

In the Tonight Show's case, it suffers from the same thing Jay Leno did so effortlessly: produce something that looks like comedy, with a constant eye on not offending anybody: take every tooth out of every joke, and be even-handed with your targets even if there is no reasonable equivocation there. Avoid the elephant in the room by commenting on the draperies instead. I always got the sense that Johnny did that because he meant it; Leno did because he was listening to marketing strategists. Fallon because he understands the wisdom and the serendipity of a paycheck.

25. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Comparing these current times to anything in the past is choosing to be ..

You can fill in the blanks

Steve Carras and Bluesman Mark like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.