How much memory for a Mac?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Then you are one of the few that is satisfied with battery life. Our entire team (15) got the latest Pro's and not a single person is satisfied with the battery. Plus having to carry a bag of dongles to adapt to outboad devices make it a pain. I love macbooks and have no issues with speed or reliability but the battery life sucks

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't really see the argument. Regardless of how popular Thunderbolt is or isn't, it's a slam dunk on laptops due to the I/O flexibility. What does anybody gain by removing the thunderbolt sauce from the USB-C ports? Having to use dedicated charging and video ports again? Nobody who actually owns these wants to do this.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Add me to this rare group of people satisfied with the battery life. It's not any different then the previous models I've owned (which is basically all of them).

I'd like to know more about your bag of dongles. Its not my sole computer at work, but I don't have a single dongle or any need for one.

4. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Got one even older - a 2009 17" Macbook Pro, complete with the desired optical drive. Just like this 2012 machine, it's upgradeable, and not a hard project to work on at all. Upgraded the battery with ease, and even the techies at the Apple store "genius bar" have told me that owners of these 17" "legacy" (their word, not mine) machines are very loyal. I've had people ask me if it was for sale, and I won't do it.

And even one this old was easily updated to the El Capitain OS (but not further). All things being equal, a student looking to get decent 'bang for the buck' might be well-served to look at the older models.

McLover likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

We already have that: the 2015/2016 regular MacBooks :)

With the 2018 Intel "Cannondale" CPUs, Thunderbolt 3 support will be native, so we should see it in more machines, at lower cost. Today, Apple (and others) have to add a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 controller/chipset, which does limit its penetration, and add cost.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have no issues with battery life on my 2016 MBP either. As to the bag of dongles, that is way overstated. I've been carrying a bag of dongles for years. I still have to connect to things like RS232 and floppies, so legacy devices never left my world. I don't mind using the usb-c to a dongle since I have usually used a short extension for USB anyway. I don't like things sticking directly out of the side of my laptop. Some of my devices are interfaces to equipment and the USB connection can be spotty. Lose the connect during a firmware update and it can be very costly. I like that the new connector is much more secure.

I bought in to the crap going around when I first bought a 2016 TB and took it back. (also had an issue with the TB), after a few months of hating various PC laptops I went back and got one and haven't looked back. I even run Win10 most of the time through virtualization and it actually is much more satisfying on the Mac. The PC hardware gave me fits with resolution changes and high resolution screens are a nightmare on Win10.

Rolltide likes this.
  7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Then how do you connect to external hard drives, monitors or Ethernet? Every port is thunderbolt 3

8. Didn't a hole in the Windows OS cause a massive worldwide hacking breach just last week? :tiphat:

9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't like the idea either but it is what it is with Apple. Also, isn't USB-C and Thunderbolt technically the same, just a different port? I thought I read that somewhere. When I said Apple may remove Thunderbolt I meant the dedicated port, not the internal tech.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm getting this picture where you go to client sites and use their hard drives, monitors, and ethernet? Because if its not this, then I wouldn't be carrying a bag of dongles, I'd be carrying a bag of USB-A periphrials to which I'd have attached tiny usb a-to-c adapters.

As laptops haven't had ethernet or video ports beyond HDMI or displayport in many years, haven't you already been carrying most of this stuff around with you, just without the adapter tips on them?

BayouTiger likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You're correct Thunderbolt is just USB-C with some additional special sauce, but that's all the more reason not to ditch it - nobody would gain a single advantage from having the Thunderbolt removed from their USB-C ports, and would adopt the disadvantage of having to go back to a dedicated charging and video port.

I don't know what you mean by "it is what it is with Apple", as what you're describing is totally counter to Apple's philosophy.

BayouTiger likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Kinda, but that's a bit oversimplified. USB-C and TB3 are not the same, but they share the same connector. The best way to think of Thunderbolt is basically a means to externalize (?) the PCI-E slots. A lot more can be done than is possible with USB (C or otherwise) From what I understand, the dual functionality is not unlike what Apple has with the Lightning connector where you have a smart connector that can determine what data to output based on what is plugged in. USB-C is basically a subset of what can be output from a TB3 connector. There's also several options for video and power management.

Most of the folks that think poorly of Thunderbolt haven't used it. If you are invested in it, you will not likely be happy to lose it. Yes, peripherals are expensive, but I've yet to have one that did not work perfectly and at a much higher level than their USB or other equivalent. FWIW, the TB3 to TB2 adapter works perfectly with Thunderbolt, but will NOT pass mini displayport to the new Mac as TB2 did. I use my LG Thunderbolt display and connect my office to it via it's USB ports. Doesn's have the nice single cable connection of the LG 5k monitor, but two cables ain't bad.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's oversimplified, but its a safe oversimplification. "Thunderbolt 3" is 100% compatible with USB-C (for USB) just as the previous "Thunderbolts" were 100% compatible with mini displayport (for video). The only real caveat is "don't plug a USB-C charger into a laptop with USB-C that don't use Thunderbolt", which is an edge case that might not even exist.

If anybody bought a thunderbolt 2 hard drive and got mad it didn't work with the minidisplay port on their HP Windows laptop, I don't feel sorry for them.

14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Removing practical ports is counter to Apple's philosophy? Really? I've no doubt the Thunderbolt port will live on in Mac Pros and iMacs for a while, but Apple's push for thinner and lighter notebooks will put the writing on the wall for the Thunderbolt port sooner rather than later.

I certainly wouldn't be happy about losing it. The first time using a SSD with Thunderbolt was a gamechanging nerdy experience. I think I had 150GB of video back up cleared in mere minutes.

15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Respectfully, I think you're confused or misread something. USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 actually do use the same port. And TB3 incorporates USB 3.x, just like USB-C can (can, but doesn't have to).

And the MacBooks Pros don't have "dedicated" Thunderbolt ports, that's the only port they have. Via that TB3 port (either 2 or 4, depending on model), you get power, video, audio, Ethernet, etc. All through the same port! Which is why it's very awesome. And unlikely to be "removed".

BayouTiger and Rolltide like this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nah. You realize the TB3 port in the MacBook Pro is also the power port? TB3 is actually the one port that can literally do everything. No need to get rid of it. The same connector is small enough to fit on even thin smart phones, so it's never too big for a laptop.
    [​IMG]

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Indeed. I didn't realize that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports were one and the same now. I thought Thunderbolt 3 was still the rectangular-ish port of old.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep, you're thinking of Thunderbolt 1/2. See image I edited in, right above.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Oy, getting older is no fun. I recall reading all about that now. I forgot about all of it. :confused:

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That explains it. I was about to respond with "I no longer have any idea what you're talking about" :).

22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The hole was repaired months ago. It was users' unwillingness to patch that caused the problem.

BayouTiger likes this.
  23. Yeah that's unfortunate. But the hole wasn't the fault of users.

And I get this happens.....

24. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

It was a fine day when I ****canned my optical drive for a 480 gb SSD. I never used it.

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Good point. I'll let Microsoft off the hook here, because it's not like they have any sort of history with security issues or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.