How much more popular would Dylan's music have been if he'd had Joan Baez sing many of the songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami Mono still rules

One thing's for sure - instead of having practically the entire Dylan catalog, I'd probably have none of it.

I'll never get the desire here by many to alter classic records or change an iconic lead singer in legendary bands, but now to have had the music of an icon of 20th Century pop music and culture sung by a folk singer with a nice voice??? :crazy:

mark ab, Bender Rodriguez and Zeki like this.
  2. What, give her his songs instead of singing them himself? Why would anyone want to hear that warbling wahoo trill any more Dylan songs than she did? He didn't need her of all people to do that, he acquited himself by himself quite well.

mark ab and sami like this.
  3. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

No

mark ab likes this.
  4. Heck, Baez is probably remembered in large part because of her association with Dylan, rather than anything she did herself.

5. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Dylan's voice is as important a talent as his writing. One of the great singers and his versions of other peoples songs are more often than not sublime. Baez is not in the same league as a singer. All a matter of opinion of course!

ABull and sami like this.
  6. I thought she, like Buffy St Marie, sounded like she was singing through a fan.

ABull and mark ab like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

was...

ABull likes this.
  8. Michael

come on! she has a prettier voice. LOL!

mark ab likes this.
  9. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

He sounds wonderful on Shadows In The Night. Live vocals were a bit shaky for a while but back in form in the past couple of years.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

later/recent Bob vocals make me itch...

11. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

They definitely divide opinion!

12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Fixed.

Dudley Morris and mark ab like this.
  13. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I bought one Joan Baez album(Diamonds and Rust) due to the title cut which I LOVE. However, I really didn't like the rest of her vocals at all. I'm sure I could find music by her that I could enjoy-but she's NO Bob Dylan when it comes to singing his songs-or otherwise in my humble opinion. Someone mentioned Adele-now THERE'S someone that could cover Dylan's music(i'll bet).

mark ab likes this.
  14. Michael

BUT, we still love Bob!

15. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

Juses Mutherf*ckin' Kriste. only on this forum. only in this world of all worlds.
    holy m f in lord. my gowd. what a question. of all things. i mean, come on.

16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Joan Baez's style of singing is badly dated, sounds like a parody of a sixties folk voice, whereas Dylan was already a rock' roller before he went electric.
    Some say Dylan is not a great singer, but attitude is so much more important than pitch.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  17. Dylan is not a great singer but he WAS a great vocalist! And BTW, Adele, for those unaware of her (where ya bin?), is an immensely talented singer AND songwriter. She's one of the most successful recording artists the UK has ever produced, bigger than The Beatles! Yes, she writes her own songs! I don't know what a "T & A singer" is supposed to be but I'm betting she isn't what you're thinking. Her version of "Make You Feel My Love" is better than Dylan's. To this date I don't know how she found that song. I doubt she's a fan of his.

Like Dylan she also has real attitude to spare. Blimey, I'm beginning to sound like her PR man - I should state that beyond the fact I own both her albums (as does 99% of UK households) I am not really a "fan" of her. But the gal can sing.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

19. Emperor's New Clothes. How anyone can say an embarrassingly weak, out of tune, straining and painful vocal performance is "wonderful" is beyond my comprehension. Each to their own.

20. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I don't like Joan's voice at all. Bob has done quite well without her.

21. To my ears Joan has a great "traditional singing" voice but she warbles a bit too much for me. Also, her singing rarely seems to vary much irrespective of the material. Has she sung the phone book yet?

22. Michael

please elaborate on warbles.

23. Michael

IMO, not a chance....

24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think this kind of answers the original question definitively. It's not a 'what if' scenario: Baez did sing many of his songs, and we can look up the relative sales figures and see how much more popular Bob Dylan singing Bob Dylan turned out to be.

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't think he could have been much more popular than he was.

Generally I prefer the covers, particularly It Ain't Me Babe by the Turtles, This Wheel's on Fire by Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger, and My Back Pages by the Byrds, among others. Even Joan Baez did at least one album of covers, including a most enjoyable version of Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowland, which I like to dig out once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.