How much of your youth music do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm lookin' at YOU, 80s! :laugh:

You must be new here. Living In The Past is the M.O. of this forum. :laugh:

Well, I certainly did spin The White Album and Electric Ladyland in the last couple weeks, but 90% of my listening revolves around new and/or new-to-me stuff from around the world. Most of it is weird (according to my friends).

I don't like to wallow in nostalgia; it can create a grim impression of the present. Even if the view is somewhat deserved.

I cheerfully chase after the abstruse and experimental polyrhythmic stuff; more fun and immediate to hear in small clubs. I need brain-teasers to keep me fresh.

Yet I acknowledge I wouldn't have found that stuff without the first music I remember hearing in the 50s, Les Paul.

Fullbug, ronm and bamaaudio like this.
  2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I'm in my mid-early 60's, and have been passionately enjoying and collecting music for 55 yrs. All that music was new at one point, and I still revisit about 90% of the artists of my past.

I also embrace new artists and releases. I'll let my most recent MIX detailed below illustrate my approach most days:

Wondering-Blue Rodeo
    Paradise-Blue Rodeo
    Northern Sky-Nick Drake
    Fade Into You-Mazzy Star
    Serpents-Sharon Van Etten
    Ridin' in my Car-She & Him
    Sing-She & Him
    Rain Roll In-Eilen Jewell (I just scored TIX for her concert in July, Minneapolis)
    Needle & Thread-Eilen Jewell
    Pages-Eilen Jewell
    Ship to Wreck-Florence & The Machine
    Not Dark Yet-Shelby Lynne/Allison Moorer
    Windfall-Son Volt
    Aerial Ocean-The Pines
    Hanging From the Earth-The Pines
    Kiss Me-Sixpence None The Richer
    There She Goes-Sixpence None the Richer
    Dreams-Cranberries
    Linger-Cranberries
    Black Cadillac-Rosanne Cash

GT

Exile On My Street and ronm like this.
  3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I was born in 1960. Music I loved as a teenager that I have outgrown and never listen to anymore:

1) Grand Funk RailRoad
    2) Bloodrock
    3) Led Zep studio albums
    4) Deep Purple
    5) ELP
    6) Hendrix original studio albums
    7) Allman Bros. studio albums
    8) The Stones (except for YA YAs)
    9) The James Gang
    10) Mountain

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

all of it...

Gramps Tom and Terrapin Station like this.
  5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Born in 58 and the artists above are all in my regular rotation with the exception of Mountain...and Ya Ya's is still one of my faves.

vegafleet likes this.
  6. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

Still listen to everything I had growing up. Love the late 70s and 80s.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

Interested to know how your tastes have changed - from those artists to which ones today?

8. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Most everything I listen is from youth (until I graduated high school). A friend gave me a cassette he made in 1983 and that literally changed my life (I was 10 at that time). The Cure, The Cramps, X, The Clash, Bad Brains.... literally the next day I tossed my Journey and Michael Jackson cassettes.

I was never into reggae much but I am really into it in the last 4 years or so. Also more into jazz but less into metal.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

simply put: only the good stuff! and the stuff I didn't completely burn out

ronm likes this.
  10. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

I listen to almost all of it, but am adding and learning new music all the time. As I grow older I am amazed to find all the music I missed out on at the time it was being released.

vallilalainen and ronm like this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yep, a lot of stuff I dismissed I went back to and not too bad!

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I listen to most everything I ever did, albeit some stuff much less often. At the same time, I listen to a lot of new stuff and have actively started to seek out going to concerts not just by the same old suspects, but by NEW (or relatively new) talent. I have come to feel that listening to the same 'ol music is a kind of mental fossilization/calcification (=no new stimulus) and if it doesn't lead to senility probably doesn't help.

Every generation mostly says "the new music is weird/sucks/talentless" and that's just bullsh!t, there is a bunch of cool &/or interesting &/or fun stuff appearing continuously across a variety of genres.

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Me too! God bless Rhapsody and streaming for that, death of the music industry though it may somewhat be.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

At age 61, I just today took delivery on a special edition of the first rock album I ever bought, The Guess Who's American Woman. This is an abberration though - I currently have Groove Armada on in the car, and most of my music is from 1995 or later.

(And no, I didn't buy the Guess Who album because I had an impulse to hear, "American Woman" one more damn time...)

15. I think listening to the music of our youth is about comfort and when we may have felt most alive with possibilities. So whilst one should try to be open to newer stuff, we may need to also take care of ourselves by listening to stuff that makes us happy.

ronm likes this.
  16. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I'm 48 years old. Grew up loving 60's and 70's classic rock and early 80's metal from age 10-18.
    Went to college--started getting in to trendy alternative music all through my 20's (Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc..).
    In my 30's got tired of alternative rock and started getting heavily into jazz.
    When I turned 40 I got nostalgic for my youth (mid-life crisis?) and went back to listening exclusively to the classic rock (Floyd, Zep, Beatles, Dead etc...) I loved as a youngster. Still listen to a sprinkling of jazz, but interestingly no interest in alternative rock anymore.

I guess it all comes full circle for me! Maybe in my 50's I'll discover classical or bluegrass!

zphage and MBT68 like this.
  17. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I still listen to the Beatles as much as I ever did. But I haven't listened to Zeppelin in decades -- literally. And I hardly ever listen to other artists who were so essentially to me in my youth, like the Stones and the Who.

On the other hand, I've discovered great, previously hidden music -- Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, "Forever Changes," obscure soul and R&B from the 60s and 70s, Jamaican ska, and a lot of jazz and classical -- that now sustains me.

My tastes definitely have evolved as I've grown older.

18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

As someone who grew up on MTV in the 80's, I can say, pretty much all of it. Sure, there are some songs that haven't aged well for me, but most of the songs I liked a lot as a kid, I still do.

19. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Came up in the 60s & 70s. What I liked then I still like. "Newer" stuff? Coldplay. Liked Happy and Crazy. They are a bit newer.

20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The music industry keeps dragging me back to this old music via the super deluxe versions, expanded live material like the new Zappa releases and remixing classics like SPLHCB. Call me interested and I purchase them. I don’t trust the streaming services to still have this material in a couple years so yes I do buy them.plus I am a sound snob and want to hear them in the best modern sound experience available today.

21. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

I have been digging in on the Byrds and Gene Clark lately ... Just bought the Sundazed copy of Gene Clark and The Gosdin Brothers and a beautiful first press of Sweetheart of The Rodeo. Don’t know how I skipped over that stuff in my 50yrs. It was all hidden right in front of my face.

22. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

I think some types of music do not stand the test of time.Some classic rock will always.
    Another type of music I have been getting into of late is late 50s early 60s type.Rick Nelson,Gene Vincent,Buddy Holley,Sam Cooke and the Everly Brothers.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  23. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Most of it. Started on the Beatles, the Doors, Aerosmith, Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Gn'R etc. and I continue to enjoy them today. Other stuff like Linkin Park and System of a Down (more current stuff at that time) I've dropped since I was in middle school. The older classic rock stuff held up a lot better, in my opinion.

24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Most of the Rock music I listen to is from my High School and College years with a 10 year buffer on either end...so that covers early 60's to early 90's. Probably the last band I got interested in that was a "new thing" was Radiohead.

Jazz is another story...I am always seeking out new artists and styles.

25. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Nostalgia is indeed a powerful thing. The older I get, the more I seem to be returning to the music I listened to during my teen years.

While there's plenty of music from my pre-adult years that I never stopped listening to (Olivia, Carpenters, Michael Jackson, Madonna, to name but a few), there's also quite a bit of music that I didn't listen to as much during my 20s and 30s that I've returned to in more recent years. A lot of that is music that I remember from the radio but didn't necessarily own back then. Tons of late-'70s and early-'80s stuff brings back very fond memories these days.

In fact, a lot of what I've purchased on CD the last couple of years -- almost all for pennies -- is music that was originally on the radio between about 1976 and 1984. I've added some Styx, Hall & Oates, Blondie, Kim Carnes, and Robbie Dupree to my collection in just the last couple of weeks. I think I'm too old to be having a mid-life crisis, but I might be trying to recapture a little youth. Or at least recapture a little of the perceived simplicity of my life from when I was hearing that music for the first time.

I certainly agree that there's music from my youth that I like now that I never would have imagined I would ever like. I'm a big Journey fan now, but I didn't like Journey very much at all back then. Hell, I even like (some) Huey Lewis & the News and Rick Springfield songs now!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.