How much will a good Turntable Cost?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blair207, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting a Turntable.
    I have a Cyrus system with a Stream Xa as my primary source. I use a combination of a Cyrus 7 as a pre and two Smartpowers to bi amp a pair of PMC 25/23s. I listen to ripped CDs and a lot of 24bit downloads.
    What standard of Turntable and phono stage would I need to equal or surpass the sound quality I currently get from my digital front end?

2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

What's your budget?

MGW, AcidPunk15 and blair207 like this.
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

"surpass the sound quality I currently get from my digital front end?" That is highly subjective and should not be answered by anyone but you.....

To start you need to advise a budget so we can give some suggestions. You'll need a TT, cartridge, phono stage and phono cables.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Mitchell Techo deck would be an excellent launching pad.
    Goldring 1006 cartridge.
    LEEMAN Cube phono stage
    Or Icon audio if you fancy tubes.
    £1200 OR thereabouts.
    If you go down the used route
    You could get a Linn it Thorens.
    Endless possibilities.

GyroSE, Bob_in_OKC and blair207 like this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Without a budget I would look at this:
    $700+shipping
    Rega P3 upgrades | Turntables | Far Hills, New Jersey 07931 | Audiogon
    I would add a tangospinner subplatter, around $150
    Tangospinner - Product

This phonostage $600+shipping
    Musical Surroundings Nova II | Phono | Albany, California 94706 | Audiogon
    I just bought a new Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2+. If I had seen the Nova 2 priced under what I paid for mine, I would have opted for the above phono stage.

You would still need an interconnect cable. to connect the phono stage. Your pick.

This would be around $1500. If you wanted better, I would get an MC cart. The Nova 2 can handle just about any cartridge.

Other things you should get is a Record Cleaning System. I have an Okki Nokki. It cost $500. There are other options at this price, there wasn't much other than the VPI when I bought mine. But if I was starting over today, I would consider Ultrasonic kits from cleanervinyl.com

So $2000 ish for the above would be an incredible sounding analog front end.

AaronW, Fishoutofwater and blair207 like this.
  6. blair207

At the moment I don't have a Budget settled in my mind, hence the question in the thread title. What I am wondering is what I would need to at least equal my digital front end playing a 24bit download. Could I achieve this with a Rega 3 or would I have to invest in a Planar 6 or Clear Audio Concept or would I have to even higher.

displayname likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

How many records do you own?

olson likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Mastering trumps format.
    My cassette of Don Henley's Building The Perfect Beast kicks the sh!t out of the 24 bit... :laugh:
    So finding mastering's you enjoy should be a start.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  9. blair207

A lot of 80s 7" 45s, Not many LPs, but I can buy the vinyl I want.

Just Walking and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Blair, if you are able to I'd check your locals for a good old used Technics (nothing quite like a nice DD full auto) :), you may get more bang for your buck.
    Audio Technica has an updated affordable line of carts coming out soon, might be a good start.

11. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Not knowing what is available to you locally I would assume you are willing to deal with buying online, perhaps even from the US. Looking at your profile I am assuming your standards are pretty high. For the turntable itself I went with Vinyl Nirvana and got a better than new (I know because I used to have a new TD150) restored/upgraded TD150 which Dave designated as a VN150. I imagine you would be very pleased with either a VN150 or 160. Depending on things like choice of arm and extras like nonstandard SS weights it will be about $2000. I use a Rogue Sphinx, and I am happy with its phono section and an Ortofon 2m bronze. So I can’t comment on phono preamps. I also hear good things about the Polytable. If you contact Dave at Vinyl Nirvana he is a delightful and helpful person. Also if your listening demands a higher standard he can guide you up the chain to perhaps a 125 with an SME arm. I have never dealt with the newer SME arms but I once had a 125 with a 3009. I prefer my VN150 with its Rega arm with upgraded Cardas wiring. Plus it is way less finicky. It is my impression that Dave offers only belt drive options. If you are interested in an idler, like a 124 or a Garrard, you are probably going to have to look elsewhere and either be a very astute internet shopper willing to take on a restoration project or take a large leap in pricing. I haven’t heard enough direct drive tables to comment. So...narrow it to belt, idler, or direct, gauge your financial parameters accordingly, and have fun. As to how the sound will compare with digital sources I cannot say it will be better or worse, but at these levels it will probably be at least as good (assuming good quality records properly cleaned), different, and more engaging despite the odd noises that occasionally come with vinyl playback.

blair207 likes this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Personally, I would look at used TTs. You could potentially acquire a higher quality/rated TT at less cost. You would theoretically have more money available for a good cartridge.

quicksrt, patient_ot, IanL and 3 others like this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

You seem very invested in Cyrus. Unfortunately I have a feeling many of us have no idea as to the quality of your "digital front end" but obviously you like it a lot! Being you are in the UK, I really like the advice that #thorensman gave. From what I understand Michell is somewhat more affordable over there than here in the US. A lot depends on your preferences. Many, many folks love Rega turntables, but I really didn't like the RP3 I owned at all - actually my least favorite table I ever owned - not the sound of it, I just hated the feel of it. The whole "light and stiff" things never registered with me. I like a certain heft to my turntables. Turntables are by nature the most touchy, feely component in the audio chain so I think the "UI" is very important.

I will also say that contrary to the popular vibe right not, I don't think you can match a GOOD digital front end without spending $2000 on your vinyl rig. The vast majority of folks saying how much better their $500 turntable is than anything digital are living in a nostalgic fantasy. Of course, if they are happy, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - I just described about 80% of my friends!

Dan Steele, Tommyboy, McLover and 4 others like this.
  14. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Indeed my favourite turntable is the TD150. Even with the Tp13 tonearm
    Which is the easiest to set period.
    It is one of the best sounding.
    With a Dynavector 10X5 or my current Shure M97XE ( which passes all 4 bias tests on HI FI News test record)
    Best sound I have heard in a ling time.
    Depends on whether you want new or used.
    A good piece of advice, listen to other
    Vinyl systems. A Direct Drive has really solid bass.
    Belt are sweeter perhaps. One man's meat etc.

15. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

It does all depend on what you want to/can spend. When I decided I wanted to go back to vinyl, I was at a point in my life where I had a good chunk of money that I could spend freely. I wanted a good turntable, something that I knew was going to last and got good reviews. I also tend to be pretty practical so I wanted to keep the price low in case it didn't work out for me and I decided to keep it at or under $500.00. I eventually pulled the trigger and got a deal on a Pro-ject Debut Carbon. I'm very happy with it still today. This was before the motors got a redesign, now a lot of folks say there's a hum caused by some of the motors, which luckily doesn't happen on mine. Get as much information as possible on whatever you think you'd like to buy.

blair207 likes this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This level should be enough.

jheyesen, displayname and blair207 like this.
  17. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I would buy the best turntable and cartridge you can afford right now which will save you some $$$ in the long run.

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Perfect

blair207 and MusicNBeer like this.
  19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Let me save you the time, money, effort & heartache: Dust & Scratches • The Ultimate Vinyl Noise Machine

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It really depends on your definition of "better." For some people their modern reality is that a $500 turntable is better than anything digital.

John K.

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Agreed. The OP needs to be clearer about how he expects vinyl to equal or surpass digital. Or to say it a different way, what aspects of vinyl he is not prepared to live with. For example, as noted above, if any noise is an issue then some form of noise reduction, or a really good cleaning system would have to be part of the equation/cost.

John K.

blair207 likes this.
  22. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

In my opinion:

The Rega's are a great place to start. Many of them come set up for you so they are essentially plug and play.

Well Tempered Labs makes several fantastic tables ... they really do compete with the his older design.

Everyone will tell you VPI ... they may great sounding stuff.

Linn is another fantastic table ... if you can find one on the second hand market that has been well taken care of and has the upgrades and nice cartridge the performance of this will make your bones chill. they are that good.

and of course, Audio Note TT-2 ... you may need to order it with the outboard motor now but you can do a basic arm and mm cartridge and you will be happy for YEARS.

Regarding phono stages: it will depend on the table!

i hope this helps.

blair207 likes this.
  23. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

My A-T LP5, coupled with a VM540ML cart and a Schiit Mani phono preamp combine, IMO, to overachieve at that price point. I just don’t play vinyl much, given that I went for an arguably endgame digital stack.

Were I to upgrade, it would be to at least the Planar 6 level, perhaps a bit higher, and probably a nicer cart. And I might end up doing that - records are fun.

jheyesen and blair207 like this.
  24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Ten thousand dollars

Tullman, Dennis Metz, DPC and 4 others like this.
  25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Since you are in the UK, Rega P6/Ania package with either the Rega Fono MC or Rega Aria phono stage.

Bluzuner, KT88, ZenMango and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.