How obessesed are you with the setting up your audio system components?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macster, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macster

macster Forum Resident Thread Starter

At what point do you stop and simply enjoy the music.

M~

2. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I find that once everything has no more improvement possible I KNOW IT.
    At that point I am DONE.
    At one point I fussed for five years just to see what was POSSIBLE from fussing.
    Then I didn't touch it for ten years except to listen to music.
    It is great KNOWING you have extracted every last drop of intoxicating sound possible and NOTHING is left to do.
    It feels like getting out of jail, ha ha.

ggergm and macster like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I said that to a waitress at a diner recently. She said "You too? I just got out this morning."

ggergm likes this.
  4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

It's like going out on the town.

Before I leave the house, I'll spend some time getting cleaned up, making my hair look good, putting on nice clothes, sometimes changing out of those into another outfit if I don't like the look, polishing my shoes, fussing in the mirror, often even putting on a tie.

Then once I'm out partying, if I spill beer on my shirt, who cares? I'm having fun.

With my hi-fi, I'll start out being very persnickety, getting everything set just right. I sweat the most minor of details. Once I get it locked in, I'll just play the sucker. I'll revisit the set-up every few months but only to check the major alignment points and to tweak them as necessary. When it comes to daily or even weekly maintenance, keeping things clean is the only concern I have.

Dancing is way more important than ensuring the turntable is dead nuts level.

vertical likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have found the opposite to be true. The 2M black sounds anemic compared to every LOMC I have tried. One of the reasons it remains a spare.

6. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

At first is was important to tweak, tweak and tweak. Now I am happy and pleased to listen to music. For every hour spent tweaking it is now an hour spent not listening to the music. I have so much music from years of collecting I may not have enough time to listen to it all even once more.

Hendertuckie and GyroSE like this.
  7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

It took me a year to finally get my speakers positioned absolute perfect. I make sure my cables are as seperated as possible and don’t run parallel beside each other but that’s the extent of my component obsessiveness.

8. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I need to move my system soon, my dealer will service the ole fruit box at the same time, HOWEVER
    I have to move and re set up, level and tune 8 Mana shelves. That's about 10 hours, but worth it.
    Not moved or adjusted anything for at least 5 years, not even a valve replaced.

9. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Mostly just with speaker placement for me. I sometimes wonder whether I'm getting the most out of them, but then I also wonder as I'm ageing whether maybe my ears might be the real issue!

10. Very nicely done. For those who don't or can't build their own here is a great option. I have about a dozen of these and they work like a charm.

Vinyl Record Frames - Records On Walls

11. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I was crazy about it all... then I hit a point where I loved the sound, and I just STOPPED. I'm happy still. When the sounds doesn't please me any more, I will fidget/replace things, but I don't know if that day will ever come tbh. I am just really satisfied!

As for dusting, I do that weekly because I am a clean freak... house like a museum, LOL.

macster, Kyhl and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  12. I can't identify with the word "obsessed" as it's not part of my character in any way shape or form. I should perhaps not even be considered an audiophile in the truest sense of the word, but I'm alright with that. That's not to say I don't care about sound or that I haven't done my own tweaking to try and improve or rectify something that I felt was off. I've also thrown more money at component upgrades through the years, but within reason and based on my own budgetary constraints. I would have loved to do more, but alas that's not in the picture. Audiophilia can be attacked from several angles and you have to pick the fork in the road that gets you to your final destination. Mine is to take the more leisurely road by stopping and getting some service done before I head further on and then enjoying the rest of the walk or drive. It should also be said that this hobby is only one of several hobbies I enjoy, so I don't focus on it as exclusively as many others.

13. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

At the moment there's a new set of speakers been added , so tweaking positioning.

14. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

not implying the black is better than expensive mc carts....just a cheaper alternative....and anemic is the last word i would use to describe it.

15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Critical!

I use Excel. It includes diagrams for my main and family room HTs, plus all of the zones fed from them. It also includes elements of my Home Network since it's connected in two places via Ethernet (as well as wireless.)

Since my main HT in particular is likely as complex as they get, it's critical that I have something to refer back to, sometimes a year or three down the road, if I ever want to change or add something / swap out a component.

It's also helped me troubleshoot a problem - more than once.

Jeff

vertical likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.