How often do I need to clean the stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

As every TT owner a have an anti-static fluid with brush. The thing is how often can I use one? Every day? Once a week? Can I damage the stylus if I use it too frequently?

2. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

After every side of an album is what is recommended

quicksilverbudie and theron d like this.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

1/ After every side of an album is what is recommended
    2/ if you use a RCM - once a month

hi_watt and AcidPunk15 like this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yep, agree! after every side, and sometimes more. I watch what I play, sometimes I'm a third of the way
    through an album and the stylus needs a wipe...... I guess we aren't all that pedantic, but I can usually hear
    when the needle is 'gunked' up.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

If you have to clean your stylus a third of a way into an album side (typically 7-8 minutes) you have very dirty records.

I use a Discwasher, wet one edge wipe record with that and then rock back to the dry side. before every play. My stylus stays a clean as a whistle.

Ken Clark likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I dust the record with a carbon fiber brush before I play a side. I have a magnifying glass, and check the stylus occasionally, and use the small stylus brush to clean it, if I need to.

Szeppelin75 and dcottrell6 like this.
  7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Expert Stylus Company
    Say after every record. I don,t necessarily find that true but it would depend on how clean your records are..
    They do however recomend "spec (non alcoholic)Savers glasses cleaner"? And not alcohol based cleaners because it has been known for stylus to become unglued!

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I use Windex glass cleaner (sprayed on my stylus brush) and it works great. Uses ammonia, no alcohol.

9. Banco

Banco Member

Ortofon tipped styli use a use a resin that involves carbide chemistry , so with these care should be taken as to the use of any liquid cleaners.

10. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Same here. I clean everything once with the spin clean, then use the brush before playing.
    Use the ZeroDust on the stylus about once every 2 weeks or so.

11. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I don't know what the "right" answer is, but I clean my records with a machine when I first get them. Before each spin, I use a carbon fiber brush. After each record is played, I use my Onzow Zerodust to clear any gunk... it's too easy and fast not to do so, and I don't believe there is a "down side". others may know more/say differently.

12. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'll clean mine with a Zerodust every couple records but give the stylus a visual check after each record side and clean if I see something. My records are first cleaned on a VPI 16.5 (usually one initial clean when I first get the record and that's usually all).

13. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Kinda depends on how dirty your records are... I use a ultrasonic cleaner on my records and zero dust after every three sides...

14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Magic Erasure small cut piece and 2 dry brushes one before ME one after> after every side even though I have a RCM and have super clean records due to a 4 step process. Only takes seconds to clean a stylus now (no fluids)

sean

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I also clean the records with a 16.5. So playing clean records I drop the needle onto the Onzow Zerodust between plays. Then use a brush after about five or so records, or at the end of the session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.