How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. More than anyone should in a healthy lifestyle
    :help:
    I'm also looking at the Dynamic Range database a bit, but not nearly to the same extent. Something about seeing those numbers really gives me the pleasure burn.

2. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Allmusic is confusing and unfocused, far more than discogs

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I find Discogs exceptionally detailed and accurate for reissues or new music. But there are a lot of mistakes or releases missing for older pressings, especially jazz. So I mostly stick to a Google Docs spreadsheet with my own columns for details that are relevant to me. It takes a few seconds to add row and fill in info. Creating a new listing on Discogs is much more arduous.

4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

very often, all my collection is inside
    i contributed to 194 ...
    i tend to look as well on prices as u can see the market place for a given lp or cd and statistics of sold formerly...

5. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

depend on ... a new which doesnot exist yet, you are right
    but a copy of something already existing with a different pressing or origin is rather easy : edit release, then copy to draft and you do your changes and submit release. in 5 minutes ...

6. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

absolutely true

7. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

Daily. I love discogs.

8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've used it for research, I don't think I have purchased anything through it. I've had good luck with Musicstack for the most part, so I stick with that when I can.

9. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I use it regularly, have contributed a little, and purchased a sealed copy of the U.S. A Hard Days Night LP from there.

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Quite often, usually just to dig through the discography of bands I'm not overly familiar with so I can get to grips with them. I don't have my collection catalogued there and I haven't added any information (though I keep meaning to).
    It's really useful to get a general idea as to the rarity of items I pick up which I have no prior knowledge off too.
    Overall I'm on there a couple of times I week 'swatting up'.

11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It varies - but maybe 2 or 3 times a week, on average.

If I have a spell of nice 'finds' and want some questions about them answered, it's usually the first place I look and I'd use it a lot more, during those times.

I made an account some time over the last year, but haven't done a thing with it yet - I probably will before the winter's over though.

12. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i like looking at the "text with statistics/value of your collection" tab. it always blows my mind what some people pay for certain records.

13. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I'm a regular user on Discogs, you'll see my name on a lot of Beatles releases.
    Anyway, I've found that when releases are labeled with the wrong year, most of the time it's just misinformation.
    If you know what the actual year should be, you should change it as long as you have a source.

14. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I take it you're referring to listings for reissue copies (or delayed initial releases in other countries) that use the year of original release? If so, that can be tricky because the dates of specific reissues or delayed initial foreign releases is often hard to track down. My preference is to omit the date unless it is (1) important, and (2) can be stated with confidence, can be stated as a range with confidence, or contains appropriate qualifiers that it is an estimate and states the basis for the estimate.

Even if there is zero chance I would be misled, I must admit that seeing a listing for a two box copy of Revolver with the date 1966 would be like nails on a chalkboard to me.

15. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Yep, the wishlist function rocks. I check it out everyday.

16. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Research...back when I first got the ability to decade HDCD--they had records of what was....and now, vinyl--what has had limited pressings somewhere in the world?

17. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

I absolutely love it. I think I'm visiting the site once a day, or at least every two days.

18. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Great way to keep track of my records. Also a great place to buy rarer stuff or stuff overseas

19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I use it. I add releases to my collection as I find them and have made it up to 700+ pieces , so probably 3/4 my collection is represented.

I also enjoy using the "Make Offer" function to buy loads of lower priced LPs at once. Several sellers have thousands of common records in good condition for < $5. I've been known to buy 12 or 15 at once , making offers of a couple bucks less than asking price for each of them, then having the seller combine into one invoice. I got several of the Motown anthologies, some Stevie and Prince, Tom Petty, Springsteen, etc. I even found a Fela Kuti / Ginger Baker collab once. Deals.

I have found probably 20 records in my collection that are not listed at all. Not a bad ratio.

20. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I recently started to use them more. The information is "usually" more accurate than ebay, and musicstack. Unfortunately I am spending WAY too much money on LP's these days.
    IMHO I find it an easier place to seek out and find LP's that are inflated to unbelievable amounts elsewhere. Case in point I was searching for a decent copy of "Roy Orbison's" Greatest Hits by S&P , ebay wanted better than $150 used. Discogs had one for $55. SEALED. Job done. That was just yesterday.
    As a source of information it is really amazing. I have found the exact pressing I wanted and using the old 100% feedback rule I learned the hard way on ebay, I have not had any issue with sellers outside of them selling out from under me on one instance.
    I have not cataloged my collection, that would take too much time. I trust to memory what I have already and have only bought 2 LP's that I have already owned.
    For HTF LP's it is great.

21. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

When I was adding my collection to Discogs I found that on average 2 out of 10 releases weren't in the database. Lots of independently released prog and folk wasn't up there. Not surprising (as I believe Discogs had its origins in an electronic / dance music online community) was the fact that pretty much all of my electronic / ambient cd's were available in the database. I intend to add my classical cd's also to the database as well in the near future. Have done for the few SACDs I have in my collection already but the rest should be up there as well.

22. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

I am in exactly the same boat. I'm on Discogs multiple times daily and have just recently become obsessed with DR#s.

23. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Every day!

JG

24. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

More than daily. Perhaps 10 to 20 times/week.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I use it very regularly and I bought stuff from it a couple of times. Very usefull to find old pressings from different countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.