How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

I see some remarks about data of items in the database being full of errors and when someone corrects them getting lots of grief. Maybe that happens more with vinyl items but I have been slowly but surely going through my whole cd collection and checking all the data and either correcting them or adding all the info presented on that particular item and hardly got any grief and if I got I was able to stand my ground by referring to some of the appropriate sections in the Rules. Have a few more items to go and than I have finished all the items in the B section and move on to C (my collection is alphabetically ordered). It is a very big project and I only do it for my own pleasure as it is a great way to unwind my sometimes racing mind after a day's work. But in the end it also creates interesting opportunities to search within my collection for, for instance, all the albums on which Steve Gadd drums or albums recorded at Abbey Road. For someone with a tendency towards autistic behaviour when it comes to getting musical facts straight Discogs is simply a great pastime.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

today I receive the most HONEST response ever from a discogs seller:

"Please Don't Trust Me, Don't Buy from Me"
    no joking, true! lol :laughup:

he ask me that by email of course, so maybe a scammer trying to catch some buyers, prices are very high from that sellers by the way, all "Mint"

Trapper J and jon9091 like this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

If it were put to a poll, I suspect there'd have to be an option for "every time I log into the forum".

AveryKG likes this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I use it for artwork when I am ripping a disc, sometimes there are some liner notes or credits that I cut and paste. I haven't bought anything from there.

marcb likes this.
  5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I just discovered Discogs a couple of weeks ago; I found a CBS version of the Stones' Sucking In The Seventies LP (which CBS didn't appear to reissue on vinyl in North America, only Europe, it seems), and, g-ddamn, I wish I'd discovered that site sooner...IMO it's a helluva easier to use than eBay and the prices seem pretty decent as well.

Just downloaded the Discogs app for my phone:righton:

mooseman likes this.
  6. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I use Discogs every day, and can spend hours on there. I buy from it regularly and have sold a couple of CD's as well. :righton:

shaboo likes this.
  7. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

For me It basically displaced ebay as the place to go when looking for used records, much better prices

johnny q and Blender like this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Until recently, group names with "The" were listed as "Who, The" or "Killers, The." Since then, they have rectified this.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Quite often, either to check something I own and bought long ago (e.g. old vinyl) or something I'm thinking of buying. Or just for history. As I get older I realise there's a lot I don't know, even having a reasonable knowledge.

My own experience is that a number of sellers tend to over exaggerate the condition of used records (e,g. Near mint, when it isn't) and I tend not to shop on it now. But I know lots of people do have good experience, so that's just my view.

10. andres lira

You are right about the over grading, still you can ask the seller for pictures.

11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

That's the key, plus good communication with the seller. It's not perfect but I like it a lot when it's time to find an OOP item.

12. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Way too much!!! I am in debt, but can't stop buying vinyl! :whistle: :hide: :help: ;)

13. andres lira

Don't feel guilty, just think on all the money someone could spend into car gear if thats their thing

searing75 likes this.
  14. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I have a few questions for heavy users of Discogs marketplace:

1. Is there any to block particular sellers when I search my Wantlist in the marketplace? Some of these sellers keep relisting the same records over and over again. Some also suspiciously claim to have four or more copies of a super rare album for sale which I think is highly unlikely.

2. Is there a way to block overseas listings? Some of the international postal rates are just too prohibitive.

Without these two features I find the Marketplace there a frustrating place to shop.

panasoffkee likes this.
  15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

maybe not exactly that you want but:

1. you can block sellers, so maybe you can block that sellers that put over and over again the same records, but again this a manual option.

2. I think is not possible, but some sellers that by example are in Italy and don't want sell in USA can hide his listings, some do.

by the way... not with discogs but on ebay there is the same problem with "save searches" that appear in my email over and over again, same records that I already see, old listings... very annoying but!! I'm working in an app that works with ebay, I announce soon here in the forum, is really a handy tool for music collectors and ebay buyers in general.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  16. ChrisEfterklang

No, you can't block sellers sadly. It is feature that has been requested now for years and years but Discogs management has no intention to implement it. But, the real problem lies with the relisting which isn't done out of malice by some of the larger sellers on Discogs but out of pure necessity. These almost all sell not only on Discogs but on various other platforms as well and they use the CSV upload / download function of the Marketplace to update their stock in swoop instead of doing it all manually. The marketplace is now set up in such a way that when you unlist an item and relist it it gets flagged as a new item for sale which it in fact it isn't. If Discogs would fix that then there wouldn't be so much need for a block seller function.

On the other hand I still find it weird that as a seller you can block a buyer but not the other way around.

17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Guess who's paying for Discogs? :agree:

dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

What does "archive copy" refer to when describing a compact disc? Does this mean it's unused, a cd-r, or something other still?

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Best to ask the seller but the last one I bought listed as "archive" was a CD stored away unplayed for years, it turned out to be M- condition.

Purple likes this.
  20. ChrisEfterklang

In way both sellers and buyers are of course.

21. Quake1028

Quake1028 Future former fatass

Multiple, multiple times a day.

22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

As a buyer of items, or for keeping track of your collection, you don't have to pay anything to Discogs. As a seller you pay a Discogs fee for every sale. Of course a smart seller will price the items accordingly, but as a buyer I don't pay Discogs, I only pay the seller. If a seller list a CD for 10 euros, I will decide if I think that disc is worth those 10 euros. I really don't care that the seller needs to pay an 8% fee, and I wasn't even aware of that fact for a long time.

23. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Would be nice but no. I'd block every seller with under 99.5% rating, or sellers I've already had problems with, or ones that use terms like "not play graded, "shiny" or caps lock. They also remove neg/neutral at seller's request. Buying online is a complete $hit show.

JustinBond likes this.
  24. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

I posted in the Discogs forum a few weeks ago pointing out how silly it is that there isn't a filter you can apply for your Wantlist. I suggested buyers need to be able to filter:

* Country the item is located.
    * Maximum price you want to pay.
    * Minimum Media/Sleeve grading.
    * Ability to block sellers from showing up on your Wantlist.
    * Minimum seller feedback percentage.

I only got two very unhelpful and discouraging replies, suggesting the topic had been done to death and Discogs would never apply such a thing. It's kinda BS because I don't even read my Wantlist emails anymore because I assume it's going to be the same sellers relisting the same thing every freakin' day.

bekayne and panasoffkee like this.
  25. Your filters seem reasonable to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.