How often do you use the polarity invert switch?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by realgone, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realgone

realgone Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those who have a phase invert switch on your equipment, I am interested to hear how often you activate it? My preamp comes with that capability and I think I roughly use it about 2/10 CDs, maybe a bit more, mostly for discs that sound tonally light. I am finding this facility most useful and wouldn't want to be without it going forward.

Mal likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use mine a lot. It's necessity.

Mal likes this.
  3. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Could you elaborate on that?

Very interested in knowing why you use it so frequently.

4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Reversing the phase should not really have an effect on tonality but upon on the stereo image and also on bass which will tend to become muddy rather than tight and controlled.

The Phase Reverse switch is a relic from the early days of stereo during which material and FM Stereo transmissions were frequently out of phase. As stereo progressively became the standard hi fi format, this error pretty much vanished, and manufacturers soon responded by elimination of the phase reverse switch.

5. realgone

Hmmm....the main difference I perceive is just a change in the tonal balance and a general tightening of the stereo image. Less muddy bass in fact.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use it a lot due to a lot of European classical LP discs needing phase reversal, archival work, and the fact that my ears hear phase incoherence. In my work in broadcasting, I am very attuned to phase issues. It is necessity as mono compatibility is necessary and standard practice.

Simon A, googlymoogly, ggergm and 2 others like this.
  7. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Both scenarios make sense.

Is this primarily an issue with older recordings or does it continue to persist in your experience?

8. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

Isn't what you are talking about absolute polarity?

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

:-popcorn:

I use it with caution, because when I do, I sometimes find out one instrument is out of phase, and I just don't know what to do with that.

Mal likes this.
  10. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

I believe so. The Phase switch on all preamps I know of for the last 30 or 40 years will change the polarity of BOTH channels. From what I understand of what 62caddy writes, it would seem those old-tyme stereo's Phase switch only changes the polarity of ONE channel. It's not really clear which style of Phase switch the OP is asking about.

And to answer the question posed earlier, I rarely, if ever, invoke my Phase switch. But, that's just me.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Virtually never. When I've tried it, I often hear no difference -- and when I do hear a difference, it's just that...different (and very, very slight at that), but neither choice is necessarily better.

Linger63 likes this.
  12. realgone

Yes the polarity at both channels are changed according to the manual. The effect is similar to, if you have an Asian/European two prong electrical outlet, flipping them around.

13. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

Once you learn what correct and inverted polarities sound like, it can be somewhat annoying to listen on a decent system when absolute polarity is wrong.

Stan Ricker says it is very important and easily heard.

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

He does, and still people can listen to the warbling out-of-phase track on a test record and not notice.

My basic understanding is that a phase switch shifts the phase 180°. This is exactly what happens when you change polarity, thus the confusion in labeling of the switch, which may have been better labeled a polarity switch.

Listening to Peter Gabriel Sings Live (Charisma) after reading this thread. I had always been hit or miss with the sound of this recording, so I flipped the switch. The phantom center seemed to snap into focus and I heard a bit more volume. Anyone else have this record who can confirm or deny?

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Mal likes this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It is labeled "Polarity" on the remote control of the BAT VK50SE I have. Only played with it a couple of times to see if it worked. ;)

16. realgone

Anyone else care to highlight any CDs which sound correct using the phase switch? Unfortunately I don't have that PG album.

17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

The only amp that I have equipped with a phase switch is my Scott 299-C Stereomaster integrated amplifier.
    I will switch it from time to time, when I am sitting in a "bass-nulled/cancelled" location in the room - sometimes switching the phase will help.

Never thought of it or had to use it based on what recording I was playing. I mean, I've messed around with it, but always the "In-Phase" position seemed best.

18. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

If 92% of CDs have incorrect polarity, wouldn't leaving the polarity "switched" (polarity/phase invert switch enabled) most/all of the time be better than never using it? An honest question.

Some playback software (like Audirvana) have a polarity invert switch as well for those who lack the hardware switch.

Orthonormal likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If most recordings sound out of polarity, you fix that by speaker cables being wired the other way. Then it is in phase. If this happens with most sources. Use the invert switch if it is just one source.

Orthonormal, Simon A and 389 Tripower like this.
  20. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

It's not so much a case of a few rouge masterings that are reversed. Rather, it pretty much follows labels and who mastered it and their hardware. Taken as a whole, 50 percent go one way, and 50 percent go the other way. It's just a factor of hardware and the fact that there is no standard as to what is "correct". I have two amps that output opposite polarity from the other, a Krell 300i and a Marantz 1060. I have recorded from both and looked at the waveforms. Yup, they are opposite.

In the vinyl world, things mastered at Sterling, Masterdisk and Townhouse all share the same absolute polarity. Sheffield Lab, Windham Hill and Phillips stuff are the opposite. If you really want to get into it, Clark Johnsen has a lot to say on the subject.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not correct for this thread. This is a thread about reversing POLARITY, nothing to do with "phase" as can be switched on an old preamp from the 1950's.. That should pretty much never be used.

Can a moderator change the word phase to POLARITY in the thread heading? Thanks

22. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Sorry - I misunderstood.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You and most people. It's very confusing. Let's just say that flipping phase is reversing one set of speaker leads, flipping polarity is reversing both sets of speaker leads. Why would you want to do either? Well, someone else can explain that, it gives me a headache..

(By the way, the term polarity is also sometimes called absolute phase which is even more confusing).

389 Tripower likes this.
  24. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I'm glad we cleared that up...I think....:unhunh:

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Inverting the polarity (swapping + and -) of an alternating current signal achieves the same result as rotating the phase by 180º.

A stereo system that is 'out of phase' would normally mean that one speaker has its polarity inverted with respect to the other.

The 'absolute phase' of audio playback is in reference to the original recording. The basic premise being that if the microphone diaphragm moved away from the source, the speaker driver should move towards the listener, and vice versa.

I use the remote polarity switch all the time, I'm surprised the relay hasn't broken yet - click, click, click...

Dino, realgone and 389 Tripower like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.