How popular was Suzi Quatro in the US?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

During the 70's?

I mean she didn't really set the charts on fire in her home country (highest position of 56 before "Stumblin' In" in 1979) but had a bunch of hits in the UK (including two chart toppers) - obviously her style of glam rock was better suited to the UK music scene at that time. But she was given a prime role in the top rating show of the time - Happy Days

She was also huge in Australia.

Her best song IMO

2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Musically not very. "Stumblin In" was the only thing I ever heard.
    She was best known for playing Leather Tuscadero on the TV Show HAPPY DAYS. She was the younger sister of Fonzie's girlfriend Pinky Tuscadero (and she was a musician).

jsayers, clhboa, tedg65 and 8 others like this.
  3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I saw her open for Alice Cooper in '74 and I liked her a lot. 48 Crash got some airplay, but there was no big promo scene around her unfortunately and she sorta disappeared in the shuffle.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Major flop in The US.

5. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Love her cameo in Absolutely Fabulous.

6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

More popular than her brother. I remember the "Michael Quatro Jam Band" opening for many concerts we saw in the Cleveland area - we thought he was terrible.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Joan Jett basically modeled herself after her :)

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Much more popular in the UK. I don't think she ever was popular in the US.

melstapler likes this.
  9. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

He WAS terrible and there are apparently a great number of people who are still owed money by him. He was a "promoter/producer" too who apparently never even booked many of the headliners he advertised. He and Suzi and their sisters (The Pleasure Seekers, Detroit circa '66 to '68 or so) were apparently all mob brats who grew up in tony Grosse Pointe.

junk likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I always liked her softer records best. Stumbin' In. If You Can't Give Me Love. She's In Love With You... The latter was her last hit here in early 1980.

Jrr, Highway819 and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I've always been of the mindset that Suzy Quatro might have been huge if she had come just a few years later. Does anyone here remember her on the tv show Happy Days?

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Yep. Suzi still has a cult following in the UK and can draw a fair crowd. The European market has always been a little different in taste and demand, but hooray for those differences.

Sean and Coricama like this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Not popular enough.....she has some great tunes! I've been dying to pull the trigger on that new box set but I should probably revisit my LP's of hers first to see if I still dig her sound as much as I remember.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think most people in the US remember her ONLY for "Happy Days". Not sure I'd have known who she was in the 70s if she'd not played Leather Tuscadero.

I'm sure that remains her main claim to fame in the US...

alchemy, Fullbug, longaway and 2 others like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I remember reading about her in Circus magazine (reviews, etc)...but I don't think I ever actually saw one of her albums for sale back then.

I now have the first three. Decent, but unremarkable.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

The song that had me heading to local record store to find album........

17. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

She indeed opened for Alice Coopers Welcome to my Nightmare tour and that was a big production.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I always thought she was an actress due to her appearances on Happy Days, an extremely popular sitcom here in it's day. I didn't realize she was a singer first until many years later and I thought her hit Stumblin' In was a by product of her success on the show.

But I was just a kid in the 70s so what did I know?

19. Poaalpina

Poaalpina Forum Resident

20. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

More popular as an image of the rare female rock star (at the time). Everyone I knew knew who she was....but I honestly can't remember a single time I heard her records being played by any of my friends.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

22. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I liked her last album, which is from around 2012, I think. Good, grown up rock and roll.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Those are my favourite records of hers as well. I think she should have gone more in this direction but she always wanted to be a rocker.
    She is still popular in the uk and has or had a radio show on radio 2.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

She's from Detroit - no choice in the matter: you've *got* to rock. :agree:

Her Radio 2 show was *great*. And kudos to Terry above who mentioned her Ab Fab cameo - in the top three best episodes of the entire series!

Like many folks have already mentioned, most Americans only knew her from Happy Days and the "Stumblin' In" single - I've been meaning to pick up that boxed set of hers for ages...it may finally be time.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

If you're watching the old TOTP on BBC4, you'll have seen her last week singing Mama's Boy. A decent, if unsuccessful, single from her Suzi...And Other Four Letter Words album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.