SH Spotlight How records are made; shows the making of the lacquer, etc. Youtube. New. Must see!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

that's some wild stuff!

2. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing Steve.

I was fortunate to take a trip to the RTI facility last January. What an awesome experience that was. I saw nearly all the steps the videos show. It was really cool watching Steve and Kevin cut the lacquer. I even have a biscuit as a souvenir. :) :righton:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You know, I have no idea... Never bothered to ask, sorry! I don't peer in it much; that's Kevin's baby.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

?

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:)

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The "?" was for Steve, not for Leppo.

7. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

8. cuddles

cuddles Forum Resident

These films are great. I'm surprised at how thin the masters are - they look too flimsy to take all that abuse from the presses.

9. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Guess, it's top secret? :confused:

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, thanks for the links. I had seen records being pressed live a long time ago, but had never seen the previous process. The second video was also very interesting as it refreshed my mind on what I had seen so long ago.

As for Kevin Gray not needing a writing block, I guess he must have quite a steady pulse. Wish I could say the same. :( I guess it's just the adding up of years.

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey, there's a dog inside that bee outfit! :D

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

That's a good example of what recording real music is... or was. :sigh:

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd say this is as hands on as you can get with music reproduction nowadays. It's like the craftmanship side of music reproduction (without this comment really needing the 'like' word). :)

14. Steve Hoffman

The stampers for thick vinyl like we make usually are only good for about 500 records or so... Then we have to make a new stamper from the mother. Soon we have to make a new mother from the master and, if the record continues to sell, we have to recut another lacquer.

15. Great couple of videos! The narrator mentioned computer controlled cutting and wider grooves for bassy passages, but in the "old days" the person cutting the record had to adjust groove spacing manually, right? Record cutting must have been quite a talent. Does everyone use a computer these days?

16. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Steve,

If the stamper can make about 500 pressings before it wears down, and the lacquer only makes one master....How many mothers can be made from one master?...and how many stampers can be made from one mother before it wears down? I'm trying to calculate the total number of pressings from a single lacquer.

17. Steve Hoffman

Varies greatly on the type of music, type of vinyl, groove, etc. No rule.

Remember, a stamper pressing a normal thickness record can take many more hits.

18. jerryf

jerryf New Member

I did view this film after you pointed it out, and I enjoyed it as well. I am amazed at the level of musicianship and engineering required for a "live cut" just like the orchestra shown on the video. These days, even most "live" albums are not that live!

Jerry F.

19. Steve Hoffman

Well, Jerry, men were men in those days (and so were women).

Uh, let me rephrase that.... :winkgrin:

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

VERY COOL STEVE...THANKS!!!

Chris C

21. Steve Hoffman

Sometimes the groove was "fixed" so no adjusting. I think in the 1950's "variable spacing" was introduced (first by Columbia, natch) to try and get more playing time on vinyl. But, if you look at your 78's from the 20's-40's the groove stays the same, loud or soft.. The sound gets louder but the groove "wraps" the same.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm not heavily into vinyl any longer, but I greatly enjoyed this! WONDERFUL!...even my wife dug it.:agree:

23. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

The tape shown in the pic is the master tape to Fantasy 8393--GREEN RIVER by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Master tapes like this one are stored tails-out, so the right hand reel is the one the tape was delivered to SH & Co on. Look at it closely: '8393 A/B' on one spoke, 'Fantasy' on another. Looks to me like the entire album--the sequences for both LP sides 1 and 2--are contained on the one reel of tape (just like on 8387, BAYOU COUNTRY). Not uncommon practice where and when albums run under 35 or 36 minutes length. And seeing the warning sticker on that reel which stated that it was backcoated tape--record on shiny side--coupled with the 1969 vintage of the album leads me to believe that the tape stock is none other than Scotch 206. (Another classic!)

24. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

thanks Steve, this was great to watch!

25. Steve Hoffman

Not backcoated in reality..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.