How the CD lost its sheen - a 30 year tale of rise and fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a good article today on Britain's Guardian newspaper website - www.theguardian.com/music - on the history of the CD, how it rose to prominence from its origins in the early 80s, and how the music industry failed to spot the signals that suggested it would decline, failing to grasp that once music was digitalised through codes it was ripe for takeover by MP3s and the like, and of course the usual short-term ism.

Quite long, but a good read if you are interested. Hope the link works !

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

CD still the go-to physical format for me

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Thanks for the link-really enjoyed reading it

4. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Yes, great stuff! Thanks!

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Hasn't lost it's sheen for me. :cheers:

melstapler, apesfan, Archtop and 32 others like this.
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Learn something new everyday: “Ryko” is Japanese for “sound from a flash of light”. :cool:

I always admire the smarter guys:
    "90s executives were too busy worrying about the next quarter to consider the next decade. The status quo was perfect, until it wasn’t. “My biggest bugbear about this industry is that they all think short-term,” says Webster. “Nobody ever thinks long-term. All these executives were sitting there being paid huge bonuses on increased profits and they didn’t care. I don’t think anyone saw it coming. I remember the production guy at Virgin saying, ‘In a few years, you’re going to be able to carry all the music you want around on something the size of a credit card.’ And we all laughed. Don’t be ridiculous! How can you do that?' "

"Webster remembers one industry Cassandra, Maurice Oberstein – who ran CBS and then Polygram in the UK – making a similar point. “He was the only one who went: ‘We’re making a huge mistake. We’re putting studio-quality masters into the hands of people.’ And he was absolutely right in that respect. Once you made a CD with ones and zeroes it was only a matter of time before that was converted into something that was easily transferable.' "

RiRiIII and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. Interesting article, thanks for the heads up!

However one thing it neglected to mention that also affected CD sales around 1999/2000 is the advent of DVD. I, for one, left music alone for the best part of a decade to (re)discover my love of movies which hitherto could only be viewed on crappy pan and scan VHS tapes. When DVD came out I became a movie-buff overnight. My film collection is as big as my CD collection. As CD's were beginning to sound poor due to loudness issues I rarely played them at the time and movies on DVD were far more exciting to me, especially rare, old, cult or obscure foreign films that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. Today I'm more back on music but DVD definitely dented my CD purchasing, there is no doubt.

I seem to recall that they said DVD was "the fastest growing home entertainment media of all time"? If everybody was buying DVD's they were potentially spending money that might have otherwise gone towards CD purchases? I never bought films on VHS due to the dismal quality but DVD changed all that. I know everyone I spoke to at the time was hyped up and talking about films and no one ever mentioned music. Listening to music was something you did with the radio in the car. Britpop was dead and there wasn't much "obvious" exciting new music about.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Interesting article - thanks :)

And I agree with SteveM - I had the same experience.

SteveM likes this.
  9. Good article, but they confuse bootleg cds with pirate/counterfeit cds.

Shak Cohen, DrBeatle and Keith V like this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Grassroots.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's not as if Sony/Philips invented binary code and the Internet, though. Had the industry somehow conspired to not digitize consumer music, eventually individuals would have on their own, and needledrops/tape rips would have been exchanged online just as MP3s derived from CDs were.

To me, it's kind of silly to argue that the music labels should have known that CD would lower barriers to market pirates two decades later. The same pirating would have occurred anyway, and the industry would never have enjoyed its two decades of unprecedented success with the CD format.

joannenugent, Purple, Ash76 and 12 others like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Some great quotes in that article:

In the Tomorrow's World clip: "Whether there's a market for this kind of disc remains to be seen" :D

"The CD was cheaper than vinyl to manufacture, transport and rack in stores, while selling for up to twice as much. Even as costs fell, prices rose."
    They certainly got punished for all that ripping-off.

The CD: “…a maximalist repository of irrelevant information, most of which was ignored by the human ear,”
    Lossless :biglaugh:

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Maybe realize their mistake about putting "studio-quality masters in the hands of people" is what led to current music new releases sounding as crappy as they do? With the idea that they can re-sell "improved quality" reissues of say 'Memory Almost Full' by Paul McCartney (a notoriously bad sounding release that is ear-splittingly loud) where they improve the sound quality in increments. So with each reissue, the record companies could milk the same catalog at least a few more times.

14. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Agreed. This one caught my attention the most:

“[Labels] would cut backroom deals with retailers not to let the price drop. The average price was $14 and the cost had gotten down almost to a dollar, so the rest was pure profit.”

That right there soured me on the record labels. We had been promised when CD's first came out that the prices would drop over time. As a teenager, every dollar mattered to me and I noticed that the prices never dropped. It became more and more obvious when you could buy and burn your own CD-R's. So when the opportunity finally came to get all the music I always wanted - for free - I took it! At least for a little while...

Kristeva, Sean, RiRiIII and 4 others like this.
  15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

A sidebar but I'm fascinated by the fitting of what may have been a new idea into a single word. That's compression! Sorry, carry on. :)

No Static and alylemoss like this.
  16. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

And with streaming and downloading the demise of the DVD is next.

17. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

"Jon Webster bristles at this claim. “What’s fair? The public says. Supply-and-demand says. There were ignorant campaigns by the likes of the Sun and the Independent on Sunday saying that these things cost a pound to make. Well, that’s like saying a newspaper costs 3p to produce. That doesn’t include the creativity and the marketing and the money it costs to make the actual recordings.”

Ignorant campaigns? How about calling out greed when they saw it? Hey Jon Webster, how are the recording and newspaper industries doing now that the public has decided what's fair to pay?

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. Very true, but it's going to be a slower decline that even CD IMHO. Blu-ray hasn't even killed it off after 8 years and the demise of BD has even been predicted to happen BEFORE DVD

Jasonb likes this.
  19. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Me too. And while I don't turn my nose up at downloads or vinyl, I still find CDs to be the perfect marriage of tangible aesthetics (lyrics, liner notes, art) and portability.

apesfan, jsayers, davers and 11 others like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Lots of reasons for CDs decline were obvious to lots of people; artificially high prices, they could of and should have dropped the retail price years earlier, not supporting independent shops, but instead putting a lot of their eggs into the chain and supermarket basket, that really didn't work out well did it, giving CDs away with newspapers in the UK, not as bad an effect as giving away DVDs, but it's hard to convince people your product is worth money when you've totally devalued it, going after the whole lowest common denominator reality/talent show market rather than supporting real talent, poor products in general, the concentration of power into just four and then three major label groups, not embracing legal downloading which led to the growth of piracy, if they'd embraced downloading straight away piracy wouldn't have been so rampant and wouldn't have hit CD sales so greatly or quickly.

21. danner

danner Forum Resident

It's funny how it's just been in the last few years that CDs have seen a significant drop in price. In contrast, DVD and Blu-ray prices started dropping considerably after just a few years of being on the market.

JoeF. likes this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The record labels made their money, they killed records by making increasingly inferior product. They also made more because they wouldn't lower the CD prices and years later didn't seem to care how bad a lot of them sounded, I can't feel bad for them.

Even at their very best, CD's often can't come close to a record, even 40 plus years old in good condition. Depending on the title, there's probably a bunch of them available--and you don't have to get a boring compilation to get the songs...

The Trinity and Fullbug like this.
  23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

great article thank you

24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Why did there need to be labels like MFSL and Audio Fidelity if the record companies did their job correctly in the first place.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Stephen Witt, author of How Music Got Free:

“What was the audio experience before the compact disc? It was cheap vinyl or an AM transistor radio on the beach, and MP3 sounds better than either of those.”

Uh huh.

Hamhead, HominyRhodes and Classicolin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.