How to convert a 5th, 6th, or 7th gen iPod to SSD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PopularChuck, Feb 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

So...

Two people have sent me PMs today asking how to convert an iPod to solid state drive after seeing a comment I made about that in a hardware classified thread. I've gotten a few PMs about it before, so I figured I'd copy/paste the PM I sent in a thread for anyone who might be interested. I am not going to provide a step-by-step procedure for making the mod because there are many YouTube videos that do just that, but I will provide an overview of what you need, what resources I used, and how tricky the mod is (not very).

A warning / caveat: Although this procedure is fairly simple and requires nothing more than a few simple tools (in addition to the SSD, of course), it does require opening and partially disassembling your iPod and knowing how to reset it with iTunes. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before proceeding by searching Google for online tutorials and videos to make sure you are comfortable making this modification. If you decide to proceed, do more homework and proceed with patience and care. I am not responsible for any screw-ups you might make.

Also, I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with any of the companies I mention below.

With that out of the way...

This modification works only with 5th, 6th, and 7th generation iPods, more commonly known as iPod Classics. Before proceeding, make sure your iPod is compatible. You can find a compatibility chart here.

I've done this mod on three iPods (two fifth-gen and a seventh-gen), and found it pretty easy. That said, it does require patience to open the iPod. The seventh-gen is trickier because the case is entirely metal. It isn't hard, but it is tedious. It took me about 20 or 30 minutes. The fifth gen was easier because it has a plastic faceplate and square edges. If I remember correctly, the iPod Classics use 11 clips spaced evenly around the perimeter of the case.

Although I have not done it, modifying a sixth-generation iPod also requires installing a different hard drive ribbon cable, but that's cheap and, as I understand it, fairly easy. That said, do your homework before proceeding.

I suggest replacing the battery since they're cheap (about $14) and you've got the thing opened anyway.

I used an SSD adapter from iFlash; as far as I can tell, the guy pioneered the mod, he makes the adapters himself using quality parts, and everything fits perfectly. He also has the ribbon cable if you have a sixth-gen iPod. I believe he's in Hong Kong, so it takes a couple of weeks for them to arrive, but he's legit. I went with the iFlash Quad, as it holds as many as four micro-SSD cards. I used two 128GB cards (three in one of my fifth-gens), though you could use any size and combo you like. That said, I seem to recall reading somewhere that sixth-gen iPods have limited capacity but I can't recall why so, you guessed it, do your homework.

I bought my batteries from iFixit. It's an amazing resource full of how-tos, and they sell quality parts and tools to do the job. You can find tutorials here and batteries here. In some cases, iFixit offers a battery kit, which includes some handy (and surprisingly high quality) tools for an extra buck or two. If it's available, get it. It's not absolutely necessary, but helps. Make sure you get the right battery -- Apple changed the thickness of the iPod case at some point, so some use a "thin" battery. iFixit helps identify which one you have so you get the right one. And you know what I'm gonna say next: Do your homework.

You will need a very thin yet stiff prying tool to open the iPod. I had great success with the iSesamo spudger, which costs $10 on Amazon, but others will probably work. If you can get your hands on a couple of thin guitar picks, they're helpful too, as you can use them to hold the case open as you work the tool around the perimeter of the iPod.

Once you've opened the case, it's a relatively simple matter of releasing the latch the secures the battery cable, then releasing the latch that secures the ribbon cable to the hard drive, swapping the drive for the SSD card, replacing the battery, buttoning everything back up, and reformatting the iPod. Rather that go into all that, you can consult the loads of YouTube videos and any number of online tutorials. I found these videos especially helpful. Watch them a few times and decide if you want to tackle the job.
    • MacSales / OWC: good overview video of the procedure and info on how to do it.
    • Geek Detour: this video gets a little cheesy, but it's good because the guy explains everything that he did wrong in addition to what he did right, so you can know what mistakes to avoid - and how to fix anything you screw up.
    • The Verge did a video, too.
    I wrapped my iPods in a vinyl skin that I ordered from DecalGirl; they offer a wide variety of designs and feature a tool that lets you upload your own photo to create a skin. Before applying the skin to the front of my iPod, I cut out a small piece of clear plastic (I used one of those clear clamshell containers blueberries often come in) to create a protective window over the screen. This is purely cosmetic, but a nice touch if you want to go all-out on the project.

There it is. I know at least a few other Hoffmanites have made this mod, so if any of you have further info, suggestions, or resources, please weigh in and offer your own tips and tricks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    LivingForever, jbmcb, rcsrich and 4 others like this.
  2. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

PopularChuck,

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing all the information, especially the vinyl skin idea.

The iPod transformation is straight forward. Watch the installation videos and take your time. I ordered all parts (battery, four 128gb cards, and iFlash adapter) from Amazon with two-day free shipping and a reasonable return policy.

Definitely confirm the exact model and generation of your iPod on the Apple website to avoid disappointment. The firmware (?) of some iPod models/generations limits the number of recognized songs and/or memory size.

Thanks!

PopularChuck and head_unit like this.
  3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I bought all the hardware to do the conversion but I
    wrecked my iPod trying to open the case. The connecting cable got torn loose. A disaster.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  4. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

No wonder you're so popular, Chuck.

PopularChuck likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Cool! I'd like to point out as an alternative, you can just get a used iPhone and run it as a quasi-iPod touch. I even found a SIM-less iPhone 6 connected fine via CarPlay, which is super handy. The cost is more, but if one doesn't want to fiddle* or if your Classic is too dead, it could be a viable option.
    (*has anyone used a service to do this conversion)

PopularChuck likes this.
  6. PopularChuck

i've seen modified iPods for sale on that one auction site, but they tend to be stupidly overpriced

7. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Great info - thanks! I wish I’d had the patience to do this with my iPod 5th gen (Wolfson DACS).

anyone going to this length should also check out Rockbox firmware for their iPod through the 6gen.

BTW 5th gen were not called “Classic” by Apple....

timind likes this.
  8. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Me too. Carefully read all instructions & watched tutorial videos, the casing of my 6th gen 120GB Classic was a nightmare to remove with the iFlash 'metal spudger tool'. It got scratched up badly and I was trying to be as careful as possible. Only cosmetic though, I can deal with a scratched case if the iPod actually works as it should, but the worst thing was that when I finally got in, and connected up the iFlash, I got the red 'X' on the screen. Tried going over the process a couple more times and same thing happened. By then I was so annoyed that I just threw the iPod in the bin and ordered a used 160GB 7th gen (the last Classic model to be made) as a replacement.

I set up a thread when I was trying to do my conversion (due more to dead hard drive than particularly wanting to expand the memory at the time), and somebody said that the SD card hard to be formatted, but the iFlash instructions made no mention of this. Is this something you have to do? When I tried to do it, it wrecked my laptop too. I still have that iFlash but I only got a 128GB SD card as I believe the 120GB 6th Gen Classic has a maximum memory of 128GB anyway. I can use the SD Extreme card in my camera but I wasted money on that iFlash and having to fix my laptop.

My 160GB is now full and I would love to have it converted and the memory expanded, but am very wary about attempting this myself again in case I wreck another iPod.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

My case was so tightly glued shut that it broke or bent every specialized tool I bought to pry it open. I finally used some very thin metal shims I had in my basement. It worked but the case was badly misshapen. Also the force required to pull it apart ripped out the cable. So I was out about $100, and the iPod is now landfill.

I really like the Sony A-45 Walkman that I bought to replace it. It works with the version of iTunes on my old computer. I have 10,000 songs on the Walkman in the Apple lossless format. I suggest you check it out I like the Walkman more than my old iPod.

Anyway as far as I can see, Apple just wants to force everything into your Phone then rent you access to your media.

Pop_Zeus and Sevoflurane like this.
  10. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

The most difficult part is getting the case open without damage, and all I can do is urge patience at this task.

Multiple tools and spudgers, ideally some that can be left inserted into one part of the case joint whilst you work at another, are required.

PopularChuck and Pop_Zeus like this.
  11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I successfully converted a 2006 model iPod Video 60GB using the above methods. I found it extremely difficult, and iFixit rated it as relatively easy. I damaged the dock connector such that the analogue out via the dock lost one channel. As I only use it via headphones I didn’t bother about that. The end result is a lighter 128GB iPod with no moving parts and a longer battery life. The internal components and cables are so small a magnifying glass would be useful. One of my friends is a hand surgeon; he uses his operating loupes to work on iDevices.

The later generation 160GB Classics are said to be difficult to work on by iFixit (specifically opening the iPod without causing damage), so I don’t feel like taking the task on.

Sneaky Pete and Pop_Zeus like this.
  12. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I've converted a number of iPod minis, first to Compact Flash, then to larger capacity SD cards. I'm really hooked on the mini, it's the perfect size and I like the colored anodized aluminum shell. I'm currently converting a 4th gen classic for a friend. My current mini is a gold 256GB monster. I've gotten all my adapters from Tarkan at iFlash.

13. PopularChuck

I had no idea you could do that.

Wish it were possible with the iPod Nano...

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Can anyone speak to usage of modified iPods? I've read a few comments elsewhere on the net that suggest there are usually sync issues. The fix seems straightforward (reset the iPod prior to syncing), but I'd welcome any trustworthy observations.

15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

No major sync issues with my 2005 60GB iPod (might be a 5th Gen or Video, can’t remember right now).

Used an iFlash to put a 128GB SD card in. Even shows up in iTunes as a 128GB iPod. Syncing is much slower than with the original HDD. I believe newer Classics won’t support SD cards over a certain size in iTunes.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

I found this in the "troubleshooting ipod" section here: Troubleshooting Guide – iFlash.xyz

After restoring iTunes does not sync anything to the iPod

The latest version of iTunes by default do not sync anything to a newly restored iPod.

You need to click on the iPod icon on the main iTunes screen. Under the larger iPod icon is menu of various media types – enter each one and select what you want synced to the iPod.

Finally click on Apply and Sync. iTunes will apply these settings every time that iPod is connected.

I don't know if this is the answer as I never sync my ipods. I noticed it while searching for info on upgrading the ipod mini.

17. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

For those of the faint of heart, I just want to mention that I got $140 on ebay for my inoperative 160GB iPod, far from a total loss. Funds were put towards a new iPod Touch.

timind likes this.
  18. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I converted a 160Gb Classic to a 128Gb solid-state, using iFlash componentry.

No issues at all since then. Not one.

Paul H likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Great OP by @PopularChuck.

I have converted three 7th gen ipods and one 5th gen. My 7th gens have 1tb of storage and hold my entire library of AIFFs. As far as opening the ipods, I find the 7th gen ipod easier to open than the 5th gen. Not the first time, but once I saw how it was snapped together, with the right tool, unsnapping it is easy.

I'm not sure why, but storing the AIFFs on the ipod takes about 25% less disc space than on my external hard drive. Anyone know why, or if this is true?

20. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

If anyone knows of a merchant who will do the conversion for me (I sent him my old iPod, he does the work, I pay him, he sent it back) please let me know. I spent hours online trying to figure out which parts my particular iPod requires and various websites were either vague poorly laid out that I realized it was a fools errand.

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do you know which model you have? If not sure, go into settings, about, and scroll through the pages where you'll find a model number.
    [​IMG]

Once you have that, you should be able to figure out what you need. Feel free to pm me for help.

22. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Model number in the other format Annnn appears on the rear of the classic, too, etched into the metal along with serial number and capacity. Only applicable if the casework hasn't been swapped around, though.

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

That number is not the model number you need to figure which ipod you have. on the back of the ipod pictured above is "model A1238." That number is on the back of 6th and 7th gen ipods.

24. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I will check (it’s at work) tomorrow and go from there. Many thanks.

timind likes this.
  25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That's interesting. For various reasons, I'm not actually running the latest version of iTunes. I suspect that the only way to find out is to get a device upgraded...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.