How to get the "complete" Columbia Sinatra??????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarkusGermany, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING Thread Starter

I own the Big Blue Box, the Best of the Columbia Years (4 CD Box Set), the Portrait of Sinatra Box, the Essential FS, the Greatest Hits: The Early Years Vol.1&2, Rarities, The Voice: The Columbia Years (4 CDs), the V-Discs, the various Legacy compilations and the 'Voice in Time' Box Set.

I don't have the Mastersound Gold CD and some Japanese CDs. What do I need to have the complete Columbia Sinatra?..... I'm not interested in vinyl editions.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The DCCs?

3. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

If you are a SACD guy, you might want the European disc. I think it is part of the Supreme Jazz series on eBay uk. I enjoy my copy frequently. This is SACD only, no CD layer.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Those Japanese CDs were the closest thing to the Columbia LPs from the 1950s and early 60s (excessive reverb and all). I believe there are some alternate takes in those which have not appeared elsewhere on compact disc. I can't say which tracks without a lot of research. It's all been hashed out before at the Sinatra Family Forum, as I think you're aware, Markus?

Not for Columbia Sinatra.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

... One of the needed Japanese CDs which comes to mind is COME BACK TO SORRENTO. That includes the version of "Day By Day" with overdubbed bongos (courtesy of Mitch Miller), plus some other alternate and/or original 78 takes which do not appear elsewhere. Not the greatest sonic experience, but you asked for "complete." :)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. MarkusGermany

Thank you, Bob!

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What you actually NEED are all of the original Columbia 78RPMs. They are not that rare, and fun to collect. You should get a good 78 playback set-up.

My collection includes the "archive collection" that belonged to a bobby-soxer from the 1940's. Her Dad had some money. When each new Sinatra 78 was issued, she bought 3 copies. One to play until it wore out, a second to back-up that first copy, and a third "archive" copy never to be touched. She was ahead of her time!

The sound and natural voice on the 78s blows away all of the CD reissues. The most incredible sound ever comes from the white label promo VINYL 78rpms that were issued for DJs in the last few years of the Columbia period. Clean vinyl at 78 RPM, unbelievable sound

It is also fun to collect the Columbia 45's, EP's and especially the 10 inch LPs.

You should only consider CDs to be a back-up for the REAL thing

8. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

I certainly feel your pain. It's annoying to shell out big bucks for all of these huge box sets and still not have everything.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The original 78s will not give you everything. Far from it, as there was much unreleased and/or alternate-take material which did not see the light of day until after the 78 (and even LP) era.

The big 12-CD "blue box" Columbia set was "complete" in the sense that it contains every SONG Sinatra recorded for the label (except one obscure incomplete number). It did not contain every TAKE, nor did it have all original FIRST-released takes, but what it had was chosen on the basis of best sound quality. No pain with this set, IMO. In most cases, the SQ is FAR BETTER than what was ever available on 78s or LPs (assuming you can even find pristine versions of the earlier formats).

See Sony producer Chuck Granata's explanation here —> Clarification

Note that, more recently, Chuck has indicated that even better sonic transfers have been made since the Big Blue Box of all the early Sinatra recordings (RCA and Columbia), and hints have been dropped that treats may be in store for the Sinatratennial next year.

10. MarkusGermany

I'm happy with my CD boxsets, single compilations, iTunes downloads etc. My vinyl days are over...

11. MarkusGermany

A box set (e.g. "Sinatra: 1939-1952") with fresh transfers by Chuck would be terrific. I would order it!!! Save your money for 2015...

CBackley, bozburn and Bob F like this.
  12. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

May have to put off buying a house for a few more years... :pineapple:

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Worthy of notice: Just posted (November 27, 2014) at the SFF —> Great news!

14. 905

905 Senior Member

Columbia is my favorite era, I would probably purchase one for myself and another for a friend.

15. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

WOW! How great!

16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Welcome news. Making 2015 look better and better for Sinatra fans!

colormesinatra and MarkusGermany like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bob F: You do not need "pristine" 78s to understand their incredible presence that even the best CD reissues lack. Certainly the CDs reduced surface noise, but the voice itself sounds so much more natural, right next to you on the 78. You do not need the world's best 78 playback system to hear this. Sure, a mono large cone speaker and better playback set-ups help, but this is real. It is a shame that many people do not believe the quality of sound from the 78s.

This is not only for Sinatra. Compare Louis Armstrong 78s with the very best CD reissues. If you did an A/B, you would scream out. The 78 sounds like a real trumpet. The CD sounds like an impression, in comparison. I have done hundreds of synched A/B comparisons of many artists, 78 vs. LP vs. CD as demos for many friends. The 78 always wins. It is explosive. And disturbing!

CBackley and colormesinatra like this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard a few Sinatra Columbia 78's a few weeks ago. "Presence" or not, they didn't approach the fidelity of any Sinatra/Columbia CD made since the Blue Box onward.

19. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I wonder if they are considering boxing all the columbia material with all the V-discs, all the Dorsey material as well as the Harry James material. Sinatra in studio 1938-52!

MarkusGermany likes this.
  20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I did not want to start yet another thread about Sinatra's Columbia output so I chose to bump this one. My apologies if another thread would have been more appropriate for my question.

Not counting the Tommy Dorsey/Harry James material, I have the following CD releases: A Voice In Time, Love Songs, The Essential, Sinatra Sings Gershwin, Sinatra Sings Cole Porter, The Voice Of Frank Sinatra, Sinatra Sings Rodgers & Hammerstein and Swing And Dance with Frank Sinatra. My question is am I missing any other Columbia CDs which would included yet more alternate takes or radio takes (I do also own the V Discs set and the Big Blue Box)? Thanks for your help!

CBackley likes this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Offhand, I think Portrait of Sinatra: Columbia Classics 2-CD set is needed (or the later The Essential Frank Sinatra reissue of same). Then there are the pre-Legacy CDs, such as The Voice 4-CD box set, and the Japanese CBS/SONY discs mentioned above.

Check out the SFF threads linked from my sig...

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks Bob! I also have Portrait so I guess I've got everything I want for now. I was afraid I was missing something. I don't intend to track down those Japan CDs for the added reverb and extra bongos. :D

CBackley and MMM like this.
  23. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Hello Bob :
    I just wanted to ask you when are you going to update your "Frank's Album's " listing ? I need your
    help, as I am trying to update the book "Songs By Sinatra " and I rely, a great deal, I might add, on your listing.
    This is for my personal perusal, not for publication.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:D More than that, there are a few original takes there that have only been issued as alternates by Columbia/Legacy (albeit n better sound). However, Chuck Granata has dropped hints at SFF that all of the original takes may be forthcoming in the future, so it's probably worth waiting.

Simon A and MMM like this.
  25. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member

Do you think they'll release a comprehensive boxset for him this year like the Tony Bennett Complete Collection? I fear they won't since they've done that before for his Columbia, Capitol and Reprise albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.