How To Integrate Sonos (I want Analog and Digital)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spammers, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spammers

Spammers Active Member Thread Starter

I'd like to create a fully analog listening room for my turntable, but I'd also like to be able to stream my turntable through Sonos. I know these are contracting statements, but I'm wondering if any of you have solved this problem.

Right now my main amplifier is a Sonos Connect Amp. I'm looking at other alternatives like some vintage Marantz amplifiers.

Can I run a splitter from my preamp to both the Sonos Connect Amp as well as an analog receiver? Then I can listen to either or?

Also, if I use the Sonos Connect Amp to power my non-sonos speakers (turntable -> preamp -> Sonos Connect Amp -> Floor Speakers), does that mean Sonos is still converting my turntable signal into a digital signal.

Basically, should I get a new receiver? And how can these play nicely together? Suggestions? Thanks!

2. JD Snyder

JD Snyder Member

Just went through this exact thing myself. Not contradicting statements at all.

The Sonos Connect Amp gives you the power to connect real speakers (non Sonos) to the back of it. That's one of things that makes it different from the Sonos Connect. So you run your turntable through the preamp, then into the Sonos Connect Amp, plug Analog speakers into the back of that and now you can have an analog listening room plus stream the turntable through the house.

:)

3. Spammers

Oh cool! I was told elsewhere that even the connect amp converts the signal and isn't ideal.

4. Spammers

OK, I talked to an expert who confirmed there is no analog path in any Sonos device, including the Sonos Connect Amp.

So, I've decided to setup everything like this to get the best of both worlds:

Listening room: Turntable -> Preamp -> Receiver -> Speakers

AND

Whole house: Turntable -> Preamp -> Receiver -> Tape Out line to Sonos Connect Input -> Sonos

Hope that makes sense! I think this will allow me the best of both worlds.

Rupe33 likes this.
  5. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Subscribed- I'm really interested in doing this. I'd never even considered streaming my TT through Sonos. Brilliant idea!

6. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Yes it does - have been doing that a few years now and like it quite a bit.

7. Spammers

Yes it does? Do you mean Sonos has an analog path? Or do you mean yes it works the way I've outlined and there is no analog path?

8. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Yes, it does make sense. No, there is no analog path - just meant mine is hooked up the way you were considering doing and I've had great success with it.

Spammers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.