How To Sell Off Collection?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tippy, Jan 9, 2017.

1. crookedbill

crookedbill Member

I've been in a similar boat. My wife and I just bought our first home last year. A tiny two-bedroom row-house in the city, so there is very little storage space and really absolutely no space for a physical-media music collection.

So, I sold 90% of my vinyl collection, about 600 records, to a local shop for a dollar apiece. I was lucky enough to know the owner previously, and he came over to my place to pick everything up. I told him there are some gems, and there is some trash, but you have to take it all - and he did. I don't miss that stuff.

However, I still have my 2,000 - 3,000 piece CD collection in paid offsite storage ($120/month). Since I spent the entirety of my teenage years in the 1990's, CDs were my go-to format and I have an overwhelming sentimental connection to that stuff. However, I've finally decided I'm going to rip it all as AIFF with dbPowerAmp this year, and sell the majority of it. It hurts me to even think about, but I'm literally paying rent ($1,440/year) just to store CDs and it's making less and less sense for me to keep doing that.

So after I rip everything, my game plan is to contact local used-CD shops and propose a cheap deal (with an all-or-nothing policy like I did with the vinyl) - maybe $0.50 - $1.00 per CD. If that fails, I'll look into offloading to Decluttr, Second Spin, and Cash For CDs. Anybody have any experience with any of those guys?

Absolute last resort, I'm going to look into CD Recycling Center of America (sounds serious) and just ship everything away for recycling.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I recommend CD Recycling Center of America highly, as a last resort, if you have a bunch of discs that are otherwise unusable, unsellable, and un-donatable.

A couple summers ago I did a lot of cleaning and purging (for example emptying a full 4-drawer filing cabinet of papers by scanning, recycling, and shredding; and selling about 10% of my CD collection).

As part of that, I wanted to responsibly dispose of all the unusable CDs I had lying around: recorded CD-Rs and DVD-Rs I didn't need anymore; badly scratched or otherwise damaged music CDs; obsolete computer CD/DVD-ROM discs that came with equipment I no longer own, etc. I ended up mailing 50 discs to CD Recycling Center, and it cost me only about $6 for shipping.

Normally I hate paying to recycle something, but CDs and DVDs are virtually impossible to recycle in any normal/local way, so to me it was worth it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

NEVER tell a grieving widow anything further than, "Can't promise anything, but I'll ask around for you. I think we both know, it was worth FAR more to your husband, than it will be to record dealers. Let me at least get the ball rolling for you..."

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So it's been just about a year on this thread now, maybe @Tippy will stop by and tell us how his purge went. I got 50,000 ohms says Tippy hasn't sold 5% of the stash.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Tippy hasn't been seen since July last year. My guess is that membership of this site has meant more records and CDs entering their home than leaving.

eddiel, Dave and DRM like this.
  6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Great post. Art and music are representational. And full of meaning.

We can run but we can't hide.

We may regret buying all that we have.

Or regret creating what we have created.

Yet...we bought it for a reason.

And created it for a reason.

Research has shown that memories evoked from listening to music can ward off Alzheimer's.

It can help us stay in touch with our "younger" self.

That's actually still a part of us.

Facing life is so important.

Not that I always do it.

But...when I don't do it, I'm in conflict.

Lots of great insights in your post.

Dear 23 likes this.