How to turn a silver faceplate gold??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I am thinking that I would like to change the color of the faceplate on my Music Hall cd player from silver to gold so that it matches the Fisher amplifier. What I was thinking was to track down one of those guys that does the gold emblems at new car lots who uses some chemical/electric process to change the color? However, I'm not sure what this would do to the lettering or if it would be safe for audio components. Does anybody have any suggestions here?

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I just saw an ad for a new paint made just for plastic. I think its Krylon.

You might want to check that out.

I'm thinking of painting my Pioneer DV-563A player because it is Silver and ever other component I have is Black.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going t be a riddle.

4. audio

Two problems with this idea: 1) The faceplate is metal. 2) I want to preserve the lettering.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the only why you can do this is with the paint and thus will lose the letterring. You could always use lettering decals after painting. It would be a really unique DVD player then....

Todd

P.S. May contact Pioneer and see if they have a gold faceplate for this model? If they do then maybe you could convince them to sell it to you....

6. audio

So you don't think it could be done electo-chemically and preserve the lettering? What about clear/gold tinted laquer? That's essentially what Fisher used. The lettering was on the faceplate underneath and they laquered over it, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.