How well did the high res (blu-ray) edition of "moon dance" sell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmrife, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music. Thread Starter

Anyone know? You do know why I am asking...

2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The Deluxe Edition includes 4 CDs/1 Blu-Ray Audio with newly remastered version of the original album, three discs of previously unreleased music from the sessions, a Blu-Ray Audio disc with high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio of original album (no video). The package is presented in a linen-wrapped folio Includes a booklet with liner notes from Alan Light and original engineer Elliot Scheiner.

The Blu-ray wasn't sold separately.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I got mine, and no, I don't know why you're asking. Especially with this place becoming overrun with talk of charts, and lists, and sales lately...

rstamberg and noyoucmon like this.
  4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I bought it and enjoy it greatly. So that's two so far.
    Fair price for great content and no marbles or scarves.

5. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

I bought the box and love the out-takes and unreleased tracks but I'm afraid the blu ray sucks.
    When I listen to my Neil Young blu ray Archives discs and compare the tracks to my CD versions - the difference is night and day. The Neil Young blu rays sound totally amazing. But when I compare the Moondance blu ray to the Japanese CD of the album from 2008, it sounds vastly inferior.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I don't know. So... why are you asking?

noyoucmon likes this.
  7. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

My assumption on the reason was the hope of similar treatment for Astral Weeks.

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Feel just the opposite. The Jpn CD sounds too compressed. The Blu-ray sounds wonderful.

rstamberg and nightflight75 like this.
  9. jmrife

I am asking because I want more high res VM.

LEONPROFF, GLYNSTYLER and rstamberg like this.
  10. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I've never owned or heard a blu-ray that measures up to the Young Archives in SQ and second your opinion on the VM.

BKarloff likes this.
  11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

You can get Astral Weeks on HDTracks ...

12. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Horses for courses I guess. This is all subjective and what clearly works for you doesn't for me. I like to think I've got a pretty decent system and the Van Morrison blu ray just sounds awful to me. However please note I am talking about the 2.0 mix and not the 5.1 as I don't have a surround set up.
    But I don't find those 2008 Japanese remasters compressed at all. In fact the version of His Band And The Street Choir sounds really incredible.

I completely agree with this review:

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/2008/September/MorrisonVanJapaneseRemastersCD.html

13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

14. I purchased the set and have given it a few listens, mostly the new CD which I think is pretty good.

The first thing I did though was to pull out the BR and give it a spin because that was the main reason I got it. Listened to the 5.1 mix and was pretty disappointed. You could hear the instrumentation very well - so well that I heard new things. But I sure didn't care for some of the levels they chose to use. Some parts of songs were de-emphasized to the point where you could just barely hear them (the "fog horn" ["strings"] on Into the Mystic was the one that pissed me off the most)

I'll have to give it a few more listens in various modes and see if it gets better.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's what I figured.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I bought the Blu-Ray box and am very happy with it.

More hi-rez Van on disc, please!

rstamberg likes this.
  17. jmrife

I know, but I prefer the blu-day experience of having 2.0 and 5.1 on the same disc. Also would like Band and Street Choir. More likely to get these two if Moondance sold well. That's why I am asking.

Unlike some, I am happy with the SQ on the Moondance BR disc.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love the Blu-ray Audio Disc of MOONDANCE and would welcome more Van in that format.

Someone around here must have access to SoundScan's sales numbers for the MOONDANCE Deluxe set ...

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I played the Moondance Blu-ray today and it's a nice sounding 5.1 mix. Not one of the best sounding 5.1 mixes I have but still quite nice. I did notice that the outer edge of the Blu-ray has an odd texture to it. All the way around the disc it's like a "scalloped" feel to it. Anyone else notice this?

Bill

20. Myke

Smooth here.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cool, thanks :)! It's so odd that my disc is like that. Oh well it plays fine in both Oppos.

Bill

22. Myke

I've got some I've cut myself on. 52 years of buying and collecting these recordings, they're like snowflakes I reckon.

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What is really bizarre about this is that they put those strings (the foghorn) in the LFE channel!! No kidding.

I posted a wav form view of this over at QQ: Van Morrison - MOONDANCE [BluRayAudio] - Page 2 ยป

Look at post #37 in the Moondance poll thread for the entire 6CH wav file view. Also, check out post 52 in that same thread, as I posted a link to the actual sound, pulled out of the LFE. You can play it right from that post, as I converted it to an MP3 and linked it to that post.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No offense, but how does knowing the sales info help in your desire for more Hi-Rez VM?

25. jmrife

Easy. The better the sales figures for "Moondance", the more likely we are to get other hires mc releases. Simple retail economics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.