How well known is Laura Nyro in USA/Canada?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Still don't know who she is....

Saint Johnny and bluemooze like this.
  2. She was an US East Coast artist, very shy, didn't tour heavily during her '68-'72 moment. Seemed to want to be known for her songs, rather than her personality. Pretty much disappeared by mid-70s, though the songs didn't, she wasn't really available for interviews or shows, until her re-emergence in the 80s-90s womyn's music movement, which was a relative accessibility.

Saint Johnny, kwadguy and Siegmund like this.
  3. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I checked her out because of Todd Rundgren (see "Baby Let's Swing" from the Runt LP). I love her work. :)

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I've read that Laura unintentionally broke up the Nazz by influencing Todd more toward balladry/confessional songwriting than straight-ahead rock.

Saint Johnny, micksmuse and zebop like this.
  5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

It took me years to get into Laura Nyro, (the same with the Beach Boys) but I finally "got" her about a decade ago and she is now one of my all time favorite artists. I remember seeing ads for her records in magazines back circa 1970 which was my first year really getting into music as a 14 year old. Never tried to find out about her, didn't take the plunge until one day many years later I purchased New York Tendaberry in a thrift store and listened to it carefully...it floored me. Right after that I purchased her first two albums and was hooked. I couldn't believe I waited so long. My full understanding of her style came in the YouTube era when I was able to listen to her live performances. As a live performer, she was incredible, both on her own tunes and on covers. One of the few female singer songwriters who was influenced by peak period soul music, John Coltrane and Miles Davis, etc. I'm glad her reputation has grown steadily in recent years.

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Not well known as far as I can tell. Whenever I've mentioned her name to a friend or family member, they've never heard of her.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  7. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

It did, eh? Wow, I did not know that. So glad to have got my copy from my local record shop. And man oh man is it good!

She was one of those artists that quite possibly was more influential than actually heard or purchased. A musician's musician, so to speak.

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

She isn't very well known by the general public but, similar to Warren Zevon, is well known and revered by musicians and industry types.

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

10. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I think I first heard of her through hearing about modern-day-cult-artist Todd Rundgren...after I got into him by retro checking out Nazz (after hearing and loving "Open Me Eyes" on the Nuggets box 1998....

So I think hearing about her after hearing about cult ish Todd cements her as a cult artist for those of us born after her peak time..,

11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

She was never a household name even when she was current. Even though some of her songs were hits for others, those others are now decades old themselves!

Scott

Saint Johnny and bluemooze like this.
  12. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Can you Surrey?

Think I'll 'Surrey on down' with Laura in my headphones. Provides a great way to ease into the weekend.

Saint Johnny, Aurora, snepts and 4 others like this.
  13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Absolutely...can you picnic?

Galactus2 likes this.
  14. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I'd imagine, like me, quite a few of Laura's fans came to her by following the influences of other favorite artists. I'm pretty certain I found her via Rickie Lee Jones, and there are surely a fair number who got there via Tori Amos.

15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Google it, it's interesting.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This was the song that really got me into her music, "Captain Saint Lucifer" from New York Tendaberry. A lot of musical complexity packed into a very short song:

Black Thumb likes this.
  17. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I didn't see the Rundgren/Nyro connection until I saw this interview a while back. Now it seems so obvious to me what a big influence she was for him, especially his first two solo albums.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm a big fan, but even I have a bit of trouble with her voice in spots on her earlier records. An acquired taste, to be sure. Her vocals from Nested onward are much more "pleasing" (for lack of a better term), though I'm sure for some the mellower music is a drawback.

No one asked, but this track from Smile (with jazz great Richard Davis on bass) is one of my favorite Nyro songs:

19. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

To myself, she was far better known for the songs she penned that others made into hits, than her own musical output.

Saint Johnny and PsychGuy like this.
  20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that has more tempo shifts than you can count:)

this is the one that I found absolutely mind expanding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZQnn1JibVA

CliffL likes this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hmmm
    not as famous as carole king...but maybe more famous than Janis ian?

Saint Johnny and Jarleboy like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Tricky. Janis Ian did have a few big hits like "At Seventeen."

Saint Johnny, bluemooze and Jarleboy like this.
  23. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Oh yeah, another great one from New York Tendaberry. Just an awesome tune. I like how it goes from soft to paint-peeling in a matter of nanoseconds!

lennonfan1 likes this.
  24. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Whatever their place in the pantheon of music - all of them great talents. I love all three. (Though Janis Ian is closest to my heart.)

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true. and she recorded a lot longer....but name recognition I think laura might have the upperhand.

she's my girl too

keyXVII and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.