How would "Here Comes the Sun" have done as a single for The Beatles?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Paul's studio recording of "Come and Get It" could have easily been a b-side. But I suspect if it was seriously considered for release as a Beatles track, then at least George and Paul would have gone back in and done some Beatley harmonies on it, and George probably would have added a few guitar bits.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Even if you mean a song without Lennon participating, that's not so. John is definitely on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" — we know this because he complained about having to play it over and over again.

If you mean the first Beatles single to not feature a song primarily or at least partially written by John, that's not true either:

Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby (both primarily Paul songs)

Lady Madonna/The Inner Light (Paul, George)

Add in US single releases, and there are more.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Ah yes, you seem to be right. I thought the actual recording had taken place while John was out of the studio recovering from his car crash, and his complaints recalled Paul making them run through the song in the winter and spring. Looks like I was wrong, though - they started recording it for the album the very day John moved Yoko's bed into the studio. Hmmm perhaps a little passive aggressive? At any rate, John came back in time to record one of his least favorite Beatles songs, poor fella.

MikeM likes this.
  4. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

When my daughter was born 19 years ago, I made sure that HCTS was queued up in my car CD player when we took her home from the hospital because I wanted to be sure it was the very first song she heard as she entered the world...that's how special that song is to me, and I'm sure it would've been an instant #1 hit single.

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

As this is one of my least-favorite Beatles songs, I agree with "poor fella"!

6. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Me too and I'm a huge McCartney fan.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..actually then, we'd have a double A-side.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I believe it would have been a #1.
    It’s one of the most beautiful songs in the catalog, and poppy.

linclink likes this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...actually, in looking back, I'm not so sure HCTS would have been a runaway number 1 single. It's easy nowadays to say that it would have been because the song has somehow grown immensely in stature over the years. But at the time Abbey Road was released, I don't recall it getting any kind of saturation airplay on AOR FM radio implying it would have been a huge hit single.

linclink and bumbletort like this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Like many, many of their songs that were not released as singles, it would have done well.

Edit: Since this looks like another "poor George" thread, let me add: If it wasn't for John and Paul, it would have been number 1!!!

Keith V likes this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

A better choice for a single than Something, because it's more upbeat and catchy. It would have been nice to have this as the British Christmas no.1 instead of Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris.

Diamond Star Halo and majorlance like this.
  12. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Straight to the toppermost of the poppermost!

Fullbug, linclink and featheredfiend like this.
  13. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Klein would have put Her Majesty on the b-side & sat back & collected the cash. But he was too busy cheating all the bands he was "managing" at the time.

14. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

In The UK around that time neither Something nor Let It Be (also Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields before these) made it to number one, so not a foregone conclusion really. Maybe the Beatles' album audience was getting bigger at the expense of singles?

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wasn't it #1 for Badfinger? It's certainly a faithful reproduction of Paul's demo.

beatleroadie likes this.
  16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

#7 USA, #4 UK, only place listed on wikipedia as #1 is New Zealand.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: John's contribution to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" was pretty much the same as it was to "Eleanor Rigby" and "Good Day Sunshine." Just some harmony vocals (you can clearly make out his voice on the line "Maxwell Must Go Free"). Other than that, I don't know what else he could have added, as Paul is famously playing bass and piano, and George is playing the lone guitar and synthesizer.

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

And it would have been a killer single, no doubt.

19. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

It wasn’t a single? :hide:
    Great song. Would have been huge. It already is.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

New Zealand has good taste.

Jarleboy, aoxomoxoa and Chuckee like this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It would have been a bout as big as Something but George just wasn't gonna get 2 singles even if he clearly had the best 2 songs on the album.
    Even Something was a double A with Come Together.

linclink and MikeM like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah the legend is that Paul's laughter on the Maxwell vocal is because John mooned him while Paul was singing, and Paul thought it was so funny he left that take in the final master. Not sure if that's true, but something certainly cracked him up in the studio, and yes John was around for Maxwell. IIRC what John missed from the AR sessions was "Here Comes the Sun," "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "Golden Slumbers". I think those were the ones the Threetles did in that week or week and a half while John and Yoko were delayed by their car accident.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mickey2 and Chuckee like this.
  24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Come Together held it's own, on Cashbox they remained separate entries and it went to #1 for 3 weeks, Something hit #2.

linclink likes this.
  25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Octopus' Garden for the B-side!

Mickey2 and linclink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.