How would you rate "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" (1980) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Love it and don’t understand why it isn’t talked of more often, beyond the ‘Best since....’ epithet. Similar to “Heroes” in the sense that one aspect seems to eclipse the greatness of the rest. The drunken, deranged NY sound of the album sounded so new in 1980, and hadn’t aged a bit. The occasionally-maligned second side is so full of hidden gems, in the great DB tradition of tucking great tracks away (a la Repetition, Lady Grinning Soul).

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Mixed overall, but the highs are really high.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

One of my favourite Bowie tracks:

SuntoryTime and oldturkey like this.
  4. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Bowie is one of my 20 favorites but this one...............bleh

5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Like many, I find the first side to be far more engaging than the second. I still voted "essential," though, because I think that first side may be my favorite overall Bowie side, and side two is not bad at all, just not quite as good. I think "Kingdom Come" is somewhat forgettable, and the other side two songs kind of sound similar to one another, reminding me somewhat of the Pin-Ups period in their overt nostalgia. While "It's No Game Part 2" makes sense as an album closer in theory, it feels kind of anticlimactic in practice, and I think "Teenage Wildlife" would have been better to close the album. In general, my favorite Bowie period is the run of albums from Station to Station through Scary Monsters, and they're each about equally essential, IMHO.

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Easily top 5 album for me.

7. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I think it’s perfect and I never tire of it!

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

It's my favorite Bowie album.

No need to repeat what most are saying on the greatness of side 1.

I also love side 2......especially "Kingdom Come" written by another one of my favorites - Tom Verlaine.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

100% essential for me. With that classic Bowie/Davis/Murray/Alomar line up and incredible contributions from Fripp, Visconti and others-- there you go!

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Someone not that long ago wrote on here that Pop and Bowie fell out badly in the early 1990s and never spoke again. I know nothing about it, but it would explain why you never saw them together anywhere.. in any photos, documentary, or concert, etc.

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Bowie performed guest vocals on Reed’s 2003 album The Raven, and Laurie Anderson, Reed’s partner, said Bowie adored the 2011 Reed / Metallica album Lulu.

It seems like any ups and downs Lou and David had, were of no real consequence in later years.

12. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I love it and it's one of my Bowie favorites. I picked "Essential listening - a true classic" but was leaning towards the "Pretty great" option since as much as I love it I find it less essential than Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs and Low.

13. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I voted "great", but not "essential".

Each side contains one really weak track, which prevents me from placing it in the top bracket. On Side 1 it's Up The Hill Backwards, and on Side 2 it's Kingdom Come (possibly David's worst vocal performance ever).

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Someone just put this great one with early SM versions up there. Listen to it while you can.

15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

So what is the official title of this album?

Scary Monsters
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    Scary Monsters... And Super Creeps

16. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Good question. The second according to Discogs I think

17. footprintsinthesand

Since you did a copy paste, why not go here where you got replies :agree:

18. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Play side 1 loud....side2, not so loud.

19. I would recommend it but not my fav Bowie album, i cant remember the last time i played it. I will spin it later today

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Wow, I'm really out of sync with this thread. Although there are some really great musicians involved in the project, I find most of it forgettable. I've tried to love it - but don't. Given up on playing it actually. There are so many better Bowie projects than this. :hide:

21. footprintsinthesand

Sometimes it's just a matter of where you jump aboard an artist's career at a moment when a new album can make a lasting impression. Too bad you missed this excellent one. Your avatar could have a casual passerby suspect you might enjoy the Glass Spider stadium tour version of Time more.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No need to hide under the chair, it is a very patchy album (a terrific first side and a very dull second).

23. footprintsinthesand

And your complimentary chair, Sir
    :hide:

Or you could hide under blankets, or you could run away

oldturkey and Purple Jim like this.
  24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Option #1.

Bonus tracks on the '92 EMI are also well worth having!

Bananas&blow and oldturkey like this.
  25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Bowie fans are never going to agree on eras. I consider myself lucky that I was the right age, early teens, to jump aboard the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane/Pin-ups/Diamond Dogs train. I judged every Bowie album after on those. To me, many sadly didn't match up. But anyone who didn't turn up till Hours or Station To Station or Tonight, or whatever, will obviously feel their particular era was the best. As it ever was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.