How would you rate "Tonight" (1984) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jul 27, 2017.

1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Grand Rapids, MI
    Hunky Dory - was a big favorite of mine and with my best friend. And then Scary Monsters. I also have a nice Japanese pressing of Ziggy that was a rental record but is still - somehow - NM condition.
  2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Malta, New York
    I picked so-so not bad.

I got this when it came out and thought it was awful, traded it back in to a used record store (Generation Records-Cambridge Ma.) a mere two weeks after I bought it new at Discount Records in Harvard Square.
    In the last month I picked up a couple of 12`` singles of songs from that album that blew me away. This compelled me to play the LP for the first time since the year it came out. I LOVED IT ! I now think this is much better than it`s predecessor (Let`s Dance). It is cool how time can make previous notions disappear, for better or worse !
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Marple, PA, USA
    I love it, play it several times a year. But even I can't get through God Only Knows.
    Loving The Alien is, IMO, a song that rates with Bowie's best in any era.
    I love the late night, smoky ambience of Don't Look down.
    davers likes this.
  4. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Well-Known Member

Black tie & white noise is The first album After tonight I really listen sometimes
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Forum Resident

Some of my enjoyment of this album derives from being 21 and happy. It was better then, right?:) However, I have to take into consideration that Tonight was only my second Bowie album. After Let’s Dance, of course. While I realised that Tonight wasn’t as good as LD, it didn’t discourage me from checking out his back catalogue further. Imagine my delight upon discovering things like Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs a few months later! In a way, Tonight is responsible for that...How can I be bitter?:D
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Solace and BlueSpeedway like this.
  6. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Active Member

Glasgow, Scotland
    This pretty much sums up my experience as well. I think a lot of how people react to tonight and NLMD depends on what age you were were when you heard them. For me these two and LD were the first Bowie I bought when they came out and I found plenty to enjoy in all of them even though I knew that objectively they weren't as good as what came before. Of the 3 I'd probably give Tonight the edge just because It has more high points than NLMD and isn't as overexposed as LD. Also the cover art is great which really matters with any Bowie album.
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Alexandria VA
    I liked "BTWN" back in the day but I have to admit it doesn't do a lot for me now.

I went through all Bowie's 1993 to 2003 albums recently - I really enjoyed the rest but "BTWN" is awfully spotty. Some tracks I like a lot but a bunch I wanted to skip!
  8. Turntable

Turntable Forum Resident

Sydney, Australia
    Side one is excellent and Loving The Alien one of his best songs imo.